Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Happy 100 days, Mr. President

13»

Replies to: Happy 100 days, Mr. President

• bulletandpimabulletandpima Registered User Posts: 9,826 Senior Member
    I agreee with keymom, if you are not enthralled over everything that Obama does, many posters automatically throw in the racist or hater card. It obviously has nothing to do with my opinion on how I view the govt, it has everything to do with hating the less unfortunate or being a racist.

There are rules on this site, if you feel that any poster has said inciteful derrogatory things report them. Have the post deleted, because that will do more to stop the action than raising the rhetoric, afterall, if everytime you post the mod deletes it for being against the rules you will learn to speak in an approriate manner.
  • geeps20geeps20 - Posts: 3,250 Senior Member
    "Because someone is critical doesn't make them a "hater".
    All criticism or discussion questioning Obama seems to fit into two classifications according to his supporters... hate or racism.
    And to the OP, I didn't need Obama to feel good about America, I always have despite its flaws. "

Good post..I'm very critical of obama, certainly not because of his race, but because of his policies. He was the most liberal member of the senate and his spending is way out of control now as prez. For a person who believes in small gov., there is not much to like about obama.
  • poetsheartpoetsheart Registered User Posts: 5,533 Senior Member
    In my view, a hater is the person who never can seem to pass up an opportunity to launch into outraged and usually unreasoned commentary of a politician or leader. The very mention of his or her name is like the proverbial cape-waving matador before an angry bull.

Please note, I'm not saying that criticism in and of itself qualifies one as a hater. Thoughtful and tempered rhetoric that explains why one disagrees with a politician's stance on issues should be respected for the intellectually honesty it represents, even if one disagrees. Hating, on the other hand, is usually sarcasm filled invective, redolent with hyperbole and intellectual dishonesty. The purpose is not reasoned dialog, but wholesale destruction. Hatred is its motivation.

Bush had a lot of haters on these boards, too; people who so despised the man that they were absolutely shameless in their insistence that virtually anything coming out of his mouth exemplified nefarious intent, or forebode impending fascism. It was partisan and and politically motivated, usually laced with hyperbole, sarcasm, and just plain mean spiritedness. Obama's haters engage in the same rhetorical tactics, and like Bush's haters, are usually too cowardly to admit that they actually do hate the man and wish him every sort of ill.
  • keymomkeymom Registered User Posts: 507 Junior Member
    ^^
    I agree, but with Obama, I see many posts and opinions in the well reasoned category labeled as hate and racism. It's not just here but in the "real" world too.
13»
This discussion has been closed.