Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
Introducing a New Expert Content Section: Careers!

Souter Retiring

Replies to: Souter Retiring

• crescent22crescent22 - Posts: 3,651 Junior Member
    You liberals are getting demanding now that you're in power. I actually believe to some extent in a Constitution that bends with developments in society over generations but law that is 'sympathetic' or somehow soothing is not what I think is the job of a justice:

"“Justice Souter has been a consistent supporter of abortion rights,” Nancy Northup, president of the Center for Reproductive Rights said in a statement. “His departure provides a critical opportunity for the president to nominate someone who has a strong understanding of and voice on the realities of women’s lives and to deliver on his stated commitment to nominate justices with ‘empathy,’ who understand the real life experiences of people.”

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/05/02/us/02court.html
  • HannaHanna Registered User Posts: 14,614 Senior Member
    Ah, I see, VP.

There has been only one out judge in the history of the federal bench: Judge Deborah Batts of the Southern District of New York. It would be a big deal even to have a second one, at any level.
  • HuntHunt Registered User Posts: 26,917 Senior Member
    I think it will be interesting to have a real liberal on the Court in Souter's place.
  • HannaHanna Registered User Posts: 14,614 Senior Member
    If we get one. Of the short-listers, Kagan might be one. But in my judgment, the rest are moderates, incrementalists. I'd still be thrilled to see any of them on that bench.

Full disclosure: I clerked for a short-lister, so to put it very mildly, I have an interest in the outcome and cannot begin to be fair or neutral.
  • JustAMomOf4JustAMomOf4 Registered User Posts: 4,563 Senior Member
    I've heard speculation about Souter
    goodness. deduced from his state of bachelorhood no doubt.
  • ellemenopeellemenope Registered User Posts: 11,380 Senior Member
    Did someone say Sotomayor was a lesbian? I thought that vicariousparent was putting together a composite candidate that would cover all the bases. Actually, a gay half-Af Am/half Hispanic woman would cover more bases.
  • cartera45cartera45 Registered User Posts: 12,451 Senior Member
    Everyone asks if there is anything Obama can do to make his supporters complain. Here is a chance for me. If Obama misses this opportunity to appoint a young liberal judge, I will not be happy. I don't want to see a moderate compromise.
  • IcarusIcarus Registered User Posts: 4,336 Senior Member
    I think it will be interesting to have a real liberal on the Court in Souter's place.

Not really that interesting actually - Souter has been one of the most reliably liberal voices on the bench. It won't change the makeup of the court much if at all. It will just mean a younger liberal who will be there a while.

I think it's a great thing to have a balanced court. But I think even more important than that is to have multiple people who are "swing votes" instead of just the one (Kennedy) that we have now.

That being said, I would seriously cry foul if either Clinton is nominated (fat chance, I know).
  • CIACIA Registered User Posts: 1,120 Senior Member
    He could always appoint Michelle Obama... she's a lawyer.
  • edvest1edvest1 - Posts: 723 Junior Member
    One super liberal out the door, another one comes in.

Souter lives along, never married. How can he understand family values ? He probably has a gay lover on the side. He also does not use a computer. Again he defiantly shrugs off modern devices and a married life. This man does not know or understand the things most Americans go through. What a jerk!
  • DonnaLDonnaL Registered User Posts: 4,991 Senior Member
    I think the last sentence of your post is a wonderful description of the rest of it, edvest.
  • JustAMomOf4JustAMomOf4 Registered User Posts: 4,563 Senior Member
    edvest1 - you didn't go far enough. He not only lived alone, he lived in an old family farmhouse in rural NH. When in Washington he shunned the Washington lifestyle and kept to himself. Oh - the worst? Instead of TV he read books. Lots of books. Literature even.

My, my now aren't we being judgemental. Souter is quirky but calling him a jerk shows little knowledge of him or his intellectual lifestyle.
    I am quite sure that if he has a particularly close "gentleman" friend the the whole town of Weare, NH would know about it.
    So Souter didn't move along with the times - how is that a sin. When he moved to Washington, his house in NH probably couldn't get cable TV or much TV reception at all (probably 3 channels). Lots of folks reject TV. Personal computers were rare and no one had cell phones.
    Souter is what you might call "set in his ways". Just because he wasn't married and divorced 3 times with 8 kids by 4 women, does that mean he knows nothing of "family values"?
    Why is a knowledge of family values a requirement anyway? What is needed is a knowledge of the Constitution. A document that is over 200 years old and hasn't changed all that much.

I think he was the perfect justice - one without an agenda, who used his education and finely honed intellect to make decisions.
  • maritemarite Registered User Posts: 21,586 Senior Member
    I'm hoping that Edvest was joking.
  • ConsolationConsolation Registered User Posts: 22,459 Senior Member
    I'm hoping that Edvest was joking.

Judging by his/her posting history, I doubt it.
  • nbachris2788nbachris2788 Registered User Posts: 4,447 Senior Member
    You liberals are getting demanding now that you're in power.

Pseudo-conservatives have spent the last 8 years destroying the country, so yeah, Obama's got a lot of "demands" to get through.
This discussion has been closed.