Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Oh man, this conservative radio host is really stupid

THCTHC Registered User Posts: 138 New Member
Post edited by THC on

Replies to: Oh man, this conservative radio host is really stupid

• LakeWashingtonLakeWashington Registered User Posts: 9,298 Senior Member
    I'm still at a loss to understand what happened to this guy. During his days in New York City as a media commentator, he was a rational political strategist and never sounded like the guy I heard on the radio during my many visits to the Boston area in recent years. He' s actually worse than Limbaugh because he more direct with clearly bigoted criticism. And I find it rich that a guy who dropped his Italian surname and pretends to be a New England Yankee castigates ethnic minorities.
  • cartera45cartera45 Registered User Posts: 12,454 Senior Member
    He wouldn't be talking if people weren't listening.
  • Mr PayneMr Payne Registered User Posts: 8,850 Senior Member
    Why anyone would resort to derogatory remarks about Mexicans amazes me.

One can simply go with facts and paint as good a picture:
    1) Worse performance in schools (all levels).
    2) Extremely high rates of illegitimacy.
    3) Higher criminality.
    4) Higher usage of the social net.

Pretty much a lose-lose-lose-lose. Or is someone going to attempt to spin these facts positively?
  • THCTHC Registered User Posts: 138 New Member
    ^

Well, you can give some context instead of trying to imply subtly (very poorly, I might add) that Mexicans are simply lesser people :)
  • jym626jym626 Registered User Posts: 55,336 Senior Member
    Maybe now he'll just go back to being Jimmy Severino, his real name and the one he went by when we were in college in the 70's.
  • nbachris2788nbachris2788 Registered User Posts: 4,447 Senior Member
    And I find it rich that a guy who dropped his Italian surname and pretends to be a New England Yankee castigates ethnic minorities.

Damn wop needs to go back to making pizzas.
  • s.dots.dot - Posts: 678 Junior Member
    Mr. Payne, I feel sorry for you. Your parents must have really ignored you and females must think you're the biggest loser for being so rude and obnoxious.
  • dontnodontno Registered User Posts: 1,185 Senior Member
    Mr. Payne, I feel sorry for you. Your parents must have really ignored you and females must think you're the biggest loser for being so rude and obnoxious.

Ahh the ol' reliable ad hominem. Wouldn't expect anything else from mild-mannered s.dot.

I guess giving factual statistics is now beyond the realm of acceptable discourse.
    ^call it what you want to call it, but I don't play fair with bigots. Kinda like, "we don't negotiate with terrorists." Sound familiar?
    call it what you want to call it, but I don't play fair with bigots.

OK but are the statistics that Mr Payne references wrong? The implications of that data (i.e. like those that THC proposed) are independent of the truth of those stats. Are you seriously dismissing the stats he mentions as completely bogus?
    Trust me dontno, I don't consider anything you, Payne and or anything anyone has to say who thinks like you. You will never make a captive audience out of me, you'll just help me enjoy calling you what you are without having the benefit of REALLY being able to call you what you are. ;)

If there are blacks on this site who are trying to converse candidly about the possibility that blacks are inherently less intelligent than whites, not only are they shameful and pathetic, but they're ignorant and I'm sure they hate what they see in the mirror.
  • bulletandpimabulletandpima Registered User Posts: 9,826 Senior Member
    However s.dot, dontno does bring up a point, are the statistics wrong? If so prove it, if not it is pointing out an issue among this community, One that we would all do better to acknowledge than to say the person acknowledging is pathetic.

I do not know if those statistics are correct, but I could understand why they might be correct. I taught in rural NC, many of the Mexican children came from families where the parents did not speak one oz of English. I had a student that was thrilled to graduate from 4th grade b/c it was the furthest anybody in her family ever made it to. Parents that do not speak the language and do not have an education level higher than 3rd grade makes it difficult for the child to succeed. This girl graduated last yr, she was 21. I am very glad she continued and did not quit at 16, and yes, she was 16 in 8th grade. Every gate yr that was required in NC to pass she failed 3,5,8. Her real problem was that her folks took thefamily back to Mexico every yr for 2 months to pick crops, she would not attend school in Mexico and come back and fail b/c she lost everything. If you have a society that accepts this as legitimate than you will have all the issues Mr. Payne has acknowledged. Mr. Payne never stated that they were idiots, and unable to learn, just that they have traditionally scored the lowest and have a high illiteracy rate. I will state that I don't think they are illiterate, just that it has become to easy not to learn how to speak English. Every school in my old county had an ESOL teacher, and started teaching Spanish in 2nd grade. I can't tell you how many times I would be in line at Wal_mart and the cashier is trying to explain in English and the Mexican just hands out their money like a fan for them to pick from it. The comedy about this is that they walk to a car and drive away...how do you get a license if you can't read or Speak English? You get one because they now make our DMV manuals in Spanish too, thus we do not demand that tey learn how to speak English.
    that blacks are inherently less intelligent than whites

You do understand this is a statement about averages. Surely black persons like poetsheart and NSM (while misguided, sometimes angry liberals) are more intelligent than the vast majority of white or even Asian people (who are on average more intelligent than whites, hmmm wonder why no one ever makes a fuss out of this statement?).
  • romanigypsyeyesromanigypsyeyes Registered User Posts: 33,684 Senior Member
    No, those statistics are not wrong.

However, they are taken grossly out of context. Hispanics also have the highest levels of poverty, the lowest levels of education, and encounter enormous racism.

It is damn near impossible to break the poverty cycle, and generally takes many generations. Many hispanics have only been here a generation or two and are still trying to fight their way upward. Most whites have been here for many, many generations and have had time to establish themselves.
  • bulletandpimabulletandpima Registered User Posts: 9,826 Senior Member
    I agree roamnigypsyeyes. It is a socio-economical issue and not a racist issue to state those facts. If you go about and state it is racist to say so, it only hurts our society. We need to acknowledge that it is a fact and correct it.

For anybody who has ever lived in a poor rural area you will realize that it effects every race. What than occurs is that those with money will move to the better school district leaving the poorer areas with lower quality students and teachers. As a teacher I have seen this happen over and over again. Teachers suffer great burnout rates and as they pay their dues they move to schools with less failure and less crime problems. I have always been a proponent that are ESOL program is poorly run. You can teach the child English, but we need to get Hispanic parents to take an equivalent program. If the child gets free lunch and govt assistance I can't see why we do not mandate that they learn English. Their children,as any child needs parental help during their education, if the parent cannot comprehend what the assignment is we are leaving the child out for failure. In NC it is county mandated due to yrly science projects, if a parent can't read the requirements, than it will be difficult for the child to do it succesfully. Look at Geometry, Biology, History, there is no parent that can say that their children never came for assistance.
    This is the true issue, you can't expect a child to be successful if the parents can not assist.
    Just last week I was paying my electric bill, a teenage child was with her mother trying to interpret why their electricity was shut off, b/c the folks don't read english and didn't understand what final bill meant. How does a child learn effectively when they have no electricity and need to act as an adult for their family since the parents have not learned to speak English...please don't say they are working, this is probably true, maybe their embarrassed to attend classes, than have your child teach you. I have been told by many hispanic students that they are not allowed to speak English at home b/c the parents don't and they do not feel the need to learn.

As a realtor I can tell you, I am always asked to walk a fine line (which is the best/worst school...by law we cannot state that because it is called steering or redlining, instead I direst them to the county website and let them make a decision) Inevitably they buy the older, smaller, worse home in the better school district than the brand spanking new bigger home which is cheaper in the worst school district. The only time they go with the latter is when they make the decision that they will send the kids to private, thus the school still isn't doing any better.

It is not racist to acknowledge the facts, instead it is just ignorant to believe that it is being said because of racist tendencies and not due to the socio-economical issues that surround them.
This discussion has been closed.