right arrow
Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Upcoming changes to the way we log in on College Confidential. Read more here.

We've Adopted....!

abasketabasket 19685 replies874 threads Senior Member
edited January 2011 in Parent Cafe
A rescue dog!

After 29 years of marriage and 22 years of children (two in college, one still home) we today signed temporary adoption papers for a 4 year old Corgi mix who seems calm, nicely social and perfect for a family!

The only pet we have EVER had is two goldfish!

I know we have a lot to learn - took our first walk, he did his first "duty" in the neighborhood. I am anxious to see how sleeping goes tonight. So far, he follows around the house and just plops down nearby when we plop down.

I'll take any tips that a new dog owner should know. :)
edited January 2011
50 replies
Post edited by abasket on
· Reply · Share

Replies to: We've Adopted....!

• toledotoledo 4806 replies290 threads Senior Member
    Congratulations! I think it's really great when people forgo the pedigreed dogs. There are so many abandoned older dogs right now. My only tip is to always carry a plastic bag with you on walks, so you can pick up the "duty". I use my bright orange newspaper bags.
    · Reply · Share
  • parent56parent56 7523 replies135 threads Senior Member
    congrats abasket!!! great thing to do!! may he/she add joy to your lives
    · Reply · Share
  • sewnsewsewnsew 126 replies9 threads Junior Member
    Best wishes! You have adopted unconditional love! Plan to take him to an inexpensive training program at your adult school (or whatever your local equivalent of that is). It's lots of fun, great bonding, and will put you in touch with a local dog lover (the teacher) who has good sense.
    · Reply · Share
  • thumper1thumper1 75477 replies3310 threads Senior Member
    Oh fun....I love it when OTHER people have dogs. They really are a lot of fun. Maybe when I retire I'll get a new pooch. Congratulations.
    · Reply · Share
  • dmd77dmd77 8597 replies66 threads Senior Member
    Dogs thrive on consistency. Both owners need to agree on the rules. Does the dog get on the couch? Only one chair? All chairs? The bed? Be completely consistent, and you won't have a problem.

Expect your dog to be polite to you. He needs to sit before you put down his food bowl, and wait until you say "okay!" before he digs in. Just hold the bowl and wait for the sit. When he sits, put down the bowl. If he gets up, straighten up, bowl still in hand. It will take only a few times before he realizes the bowl doesn't get put down until his butt stays on the floor.

If you take him to the same place to potty and say the same thing every time (I say "hurry up!"), the rest of the yard will be clean and order-free. You can tell a male dog not to mark. Most of my friends say "not here" and then give the dog a little tug away from it.

As for sleeping, I find my dogs are happiest sleeping on their own beds in a corner of the bedroom. (I do allow the dogs on the best, but only until I turn out the light.)
    · Reply · Share
  • abasketabasket 19685 replies874 threads Senior Member
    Appreciate the potty tips. Thumbs up.

The foster "mom" told me that he looks for permission to eat when you put his bowl down, so she told us to put the bowl down and say "you're welcome!", then he will eat.

He does um, smell a bit - like he has a little residue on his bottom. He was neutered a couple of weeks ago but apparently his stitches are healed. Any advice there????
    · Reply · Share
  • pipmompipmom 1082 replies15 threads Junior Member
    well, they sell doggie wipes, but baby wipes and/or a damp washcloth work just as well. Perhaps when groomed, you can ask that they shave an area so that duty will not cling to the hairs as much.

Congratulations on your new family member!
    · Reply · Share
  • LongPrimeLongPrime 5106 replies102 threads- Senior Member
    corki's are smart dogs.
    Not only seal any food tight but also hide it. All they do when you are not around is to open cupbaords and the frig to get at the food. Fair warning.
    · Reply · Share
  • AllThisIsNewToMeAllThisIsNewToMe 2037 replies256 threads Senior Member
    Congrats! Our rescue dog is awesome. I walk him almost everyday (which is great for both of us). Good luck!

I'd give him a few days before bathing him if possible - he's had a lot of "new" going on, but just take a soapy rag to his bottom and hopefully you can get rid of the odor.
    · Reply · Share
  • FallGirlFallGirl 8093 replies27 threads Senior Member
    Congratulations, abasket! We adopted a rescue dog almost 7 years ago. I suggest taking your new dog to an obedience class. In addition to the obvious, it is a good place to introduce your new dog to socializing with other dogs. Also, the instructor can be a helpful resource if you have specific questions/concerns.
    · Reply · Share
  • fishymomfishymom 1707 replies142 threads Senior Member
    Congrats on your new family member! We have an 18 month old Corgi mix and she is the love of my life. She is so sweet and by far the smartest dog I have ever had and we have had many. Best wishes for you and your new guy!
    · Reply · Share
  • MyLBMyLB 1051 replies51 threads Senior Member
    We had one rescue dog for over 10 years and got another after he passed away (lab and lab mix). We also have a corgi we got as a puppy. I really like adopting an adult dog--puppies are cute but so much work! The only advice I'd give is expect just a moment or two of regret as your new family member settles in. Mine came after the second night we'd had our new lab mix. He'd had some tummy troubles overnight and I was still having to walk this large stranger with no leash manners in the cold dark ice of January. I had to get a pep talk from my sister (who has done some foster work with dogs). She reminded me that this was a great dog and in a few weeks we'd have everything sorted out and he'd be in indispensable part of our lives.

Almost a year later and, indeed, I can't imagine our family without him.

One more thing--the lab we used to have slept wherever he wanted to. I think most nights started in a kid's room and then would wander into ours. Our dogs now sleep in the kitchen (on another floor). This has worked much better. They really do not wake us up at all.
    · Reply · Share
  • sybbie719sybbie719 20769 replies2015 threads Super Moderator
    Congrats on the new addition to the family. We adopted a corgi mix almost 10 years ago. Yes, they are very smart, loyal and faithful. Our dog likes good manners and does respond to thank you , please and excuse me. They also remind you of having a young child in the house who is always happy to see you when you come home.

Wishing you many years of joy with your new dog!!
    · Reply · Share
  • tx5athometx5athome 3899 replies5 threads Senior Member
    Congratulations! If you can watch The Dog Whisperer on the National Geographic Channel (or rent some of the videos). He stresses exercise, discipline and affection (in that order). Have fun!!!
    · Reply · Share
  • PizzagirlPizzagirl 40174 replies320 threads Senior Member
    Congrats!

My tips:

Never chase a dog in play, because then the dog decides where to go (= could run into the street). Have the dog chase you, because then you control where you go.

Do not feed the dog scraps from the table; it's not good for their diet and it's yucky to have them hanging around the dinner table. Have a mat or some other place nearby and when it is your dinner time, tell the dog to go to the mat. (We just say "mat" and our dog gets it at that point.) He stays there until after you are done and you release him. THEN the dog eats. Bottom line: You always eat before the dog.

Also, when leaving the house, have the dog sit at the doorstep, and then you can give him permission to leave. Ditto when you walk him. Make him sit at every street corner til you look both ways (we make a big deal of it) and then give permission to cross the street (still leashed, of course).

Have fun!
    · Reply · Share
  • PizzagirlPizzagirl 40174 replies320 threads Senior Member
    Oh - one more thing - very early on, play with the dog by rolling him over and exposing his underbelly. Get him used to being "flipped" in that position any time; it's a submissive position and establishes that you are boss.
    · Reply · Share
  • limabeanslimabeans 4649 replies105 threads Senior Member
    About those dog smells: our rescue dog had been rather malnourished and must have had a terrible diet. Probably ate whatever was available. As a consequence, our new pet had all sorts of digestion problems. I ended up getting her checked out by a vet and discovered she had worms. She also needed to get on a healthier diet and I switched to an all natural dog food found only at a pet shop, not at the grocery store.

Since then, not only is her coat much more lustrous, and her bowel problems have disappeared, but she also doesn't smell.

Congratulations on your new member of the family.
    · Reply · Share
  • abasketabasket 19685 replies874 threads Senior Member
    Thanks for the tips all. I will keep this thread handy!

The plan is to close off the kitchen tonight for him to sleep. He did not use/need a cage at the foster home, so we will try not to go that route. The kitchen can be closed off, is warm and he seems to like that floor and has plopped there already.

The foster mom told us he was de-wormed at the shelter. The fosters were feeding him Sam's Club lamb and rice which they brought me some of. I know that if we want to switch we need to do it slowly and mix it with the old food. He has had two BM's on our walks today and they seemed a little loose to me (though really, I don't know what it should look like!!)
    · Reply · Share
  • tx5athometx5athome 3899 replies5 threads Senior Member
    They might be a little "loose" because he is getting used to his new environment. You might want to consider letting him sleep in your room. Dogs are pack animals and like to sleep with their pack.
    · Reply · Share
  • somemomsomemom 10877 replies325 threads Senior Member
    My biggest tip for dog owners is that you and the dog will be tremendously happier if the dog gets enough exercise. We have a high demand breed which used to require two exercises a day for at least an hour each day. Even now that he is an old guy, nearly 11, we walk off leash 3-6 miles a day and he loves it. Even now, he does not sleep well if he does not get enough exercise
    · Reply · Share
This discussion has been closed.

Recent Activity