right arrow
Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Upcoming changes to the way we log in on College Confidential. Read more here.

Anybody move their gas and water heater...

dstarkdstark 33322 replies919 threads Senior Member
edited September 2011 in Parent Cafe
I am considering moving my gas heater and water heater...which are in a closet in the middle of the house, to the garage...

This would open up my living room, dining area and kitchen...i would just get rid of that closet and the surrounding walls.

So...has anybody done this?

I thought it might be $5,000..but my contractor thinks it will be $20,000.

Kind of a big difference. $5,000..I think it is worth it. $20,000...not so much...
edited September 2011
64 replies
Post edited by dstark on
· Reply · Share

Replies to: Anybody move their gas and water heater...

• parent1986parent1986 1580 replies36 threads- Senior Member
    I have. The hot water. The price may depend upon the available drainage.
    · Reply · Share
  • alhalh 8488 replies47 threads Senior Member
    gas heater: to heat the house? what kind of system?
    water heater: tank or tankless?

edit: you have one floor? or two? or more?
    · Reply · Share
  • artloversplusartloversplus 8597 replies251 threads Senior Member
    does that closet have a load bearing wall? perhaps that is where the expensive part. also, if you are using forced air, the duct work is very expensive.

I would talk to more than 10 contractors before making a decision. Listen to their thinking/presentation carefully.
    · Reply · Share
  • dstarkdstark 33322 replies919 threads Senior Member
    Yes...I have forced air...

No...weight bearing walls..

I guess there would be a lot of duct work...

I have two floors...this is on the upper floor....
    · Reply · Share
  • BunsenBurnerBunsenBurner 39151 replies470 threads Senior Member
    Make sure that there is enough space in the garage for the two heaters and your cars! The city code might require you to install some sort of a protective barrier if the heaters are to be located where they can be hit by a car, which might not leave much space for the car when all is said and done. :)

What artlovers said: talk to several contractors (I think you already know the drill). Good luck! I would not want a hot water heater in the middle of my house.
    · Reply · Share
    two floors - duct work on both floors? Right now how does this work? vents in the ceiling of the lower level? vents in the floor of upper?

I am spending a lot of time lately learning on how ductwork can be installed, both what contractors prefer to do, and what works adequately for my needs even if they don't see it as the best method.

I really like artsloversplus suggestion of 10 contractor interviews, if you have enough time in your life for that. Any advice and opinion you get in an estimate interview is on their dime. Later you are paying while they stand still to answer your questions. Probably this is the first thing that occurs to anybody having work done except me.

edit: I guess you are going to need additional plumbing, too?
    · Reply · Share
  • IgloooIglooo 8237 replies214 threads Senior Member
    ^^True but you get hot water fast everywhere in the house. My kitchen is at the opposite end from the water heater.

When we replaced our old water heater, I asked them to move it to the side by about a foot. They added $500 for that.
    · Reply · Share
    I'd move the gas heater up in the attic, if you have one. Less duct work. The water heater can be moved easily, use a tankless to save space.

eitherway, I don't think $5,000 will do, you will have to buy all new units and by itself is pretty expensive.
    · Reply · Share
    Along the same line, I once tried to put central air in a house, and was told individual room units would work better because of the duct work - there were several additions to the house. And, if you are going to have any type of centralized humidifier or dehumidifier, that has to be included.
    · Reply · Share
    The vents are actually on the ceilling in the upper floor...

I haven't paid attention to where they are on the bottom floor. :) I think they are on the ceiling too.

I guess I should get multiple people to look at it, but 10 is a little excessive. :)
    · Reply · Share
    Hotel type heating/cooling units have been recommended to me by two contractors recently. That won't work for me but might for someone else. The cost quoted: around $1500 for a unit that is adequate for a very large space: maybe 600 sq ft?
    · Reply · Share
    Although hvac units in the attic seem to be the norm.... they really make me nervous and I am trying to avoid it if possible. Yes there is a overflow pan, but still..... And they are sometimes hard to access to repair... And you have to make a decision about putting them in conditioned or unconditioned space. After much investigation, in a hot climate, I am pretty sure I am only comfortable with it in conditioned space. That means a higher cost for insulation.. at least for my project.
    · Reply · Share
    I think the major cost is the duct work has to be redone...
    · Reply · Share
    depending how old it is, you might like that anyway.
    · Reply · Share
    alh, you are putting your heater in the attic?

Yes...additional plumbing will be needed...
    · Reply · Share
    I am doing several small renovations: the first had a heater go in attic about six months ago and it has already proved to be a very very bad idea.

The current project will not have a heater in the attic. If necessary I will just run an extension cord from the main house to plug in some space heaters till someone is willing to come up with a better (and affordable!) solution for me.
    · Reply · Share
    hmmmm.....alh, you are not giving me a lot of confidence...
    · Reply · Share
    I interviewed 7 contractors just for a small roof repair work, it was not leaking and just replace some broken tiles. I got wild quotes ranging 2000 to 500, I finally got the $500 guy did the work, he was very good.

Your job is a major endever, I would spend 2-3 months to talk to every HVAC guy I can get a hold of and thinking over their quotes before making a decision. You may save over $10,000 :)
    · Reply · Share
    artloversplus...

you are probably right...

of course...I could just leave it alone...

I already have a kitchen remodel going...:)

we were almost done with the kitchen plans...this will really slow things down..because what we do with the heater will affect the kitchen..

I do see the same thing you do...the difference between bids from these contractors is quite large...

usually I interview 3 contractors..
    · Reply · Share
    You can also save time by getting a good book that explains this stuff and being familiar beyond what you can find online.

I found that a company that had a scheduler who liked to yak and was knowledgeable saved me a lot of money. It isn't just the person does the bid and onsite work that has to be considered.
    · Reply · Share
This discussion has been closed.

Recent Activity