Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
Please take a moment to read our updated TOS, Privacy Policy, and Forum Rules.

What do you use your KitchenAid stand mixer for?

Replies to: What do you use your KitchenAid stand mixer for?

• BunsenBurnerBunsenBurner Registered User Posts: 32,752 Senior Member
    I'm seriously thinking about taking my grey Kitchenaid to this local shop:

Un Amore by Nicole Dinardo

She was featured in a recent Evening Magazine segment, and I fell in love with her designs. Check out the gallery of Nicole's art!
    What a great way to add color to your kitchen counter!
  • sewhappysewhappy - Posts: 4,428 Senior Member
    I've contemplated that big kitchenaid mixer for years and never quite figured out why I needed one so have not taken the plunge. I have a cuisnart hand held mixer that has lasted about 15 years and is really easy to store away and then whip out when I need it. I also love my Cusinart immersion blender. I use it to make mashed potatoes and whipped cream; does not work for frostings. I also love my new little milk frother. It's a gas.
  • 1moremom1moremom Registered User Posts: 3,958 Senior Member
    My kitchenaid is older than my kids so, 26+. I used to bake a lot when they were home, but not so much now that we are empty nesters. I have always used a bread machine to mix and knead dough but am wondering about the dough hook. Can anyone compare the two?
    ^If you need to make dense dough such as pizza or dumplings dough, no handheld devices will be able to handle it. That's when the stand mixer comes in very, very handy.
  • gouf78gouf78 Registered User Posts: 5,805 Senior Member
    Kneading bread dough was the original reason I had for wanting a KA. Works great!
  • sewhappysewhappy - Posts: 4,428 Senior Member
    Won't a food processor work for dense bread dough?
  • lammb66lammb66 Registered User Posts: 459 Member
    Another vote for yes!! I received one as a gift from the kids and my husband about 5 years ago. I was first asked if I would be offended at receiving a kitchen device for a gift. I love it. My DD is the baker of the family and she used it to make all of the Christmas cookies, I think she made about 8 different kinds. I also love it for mashed potatoes. I haven't tried homemade pizza dough but you are all making me think I should try it. It cleans up so easily, the bowel and beater just goes in the dishwasher and comes out sparkling. Would definitely always want to have one even though I have a tiny galley kitchen. I reserve the space for it on the counter even though there is not much space.
  • abasketabasket Registered User Posts: 16,752 Senior Member
    Wow, this thread is really convincing! I have been mulling the value and use of one of the stand up mixers for awhile...will have to check out the Costco prices next time I'm in..
  • roshkeroshke Registered User Posts: 3,106 Senior Member
    I bought the 6 quart Kitchenaid Artisan a few years ago, which is a perfect size for anything I make and is so pretty to look at that it's one of the few things I keep on the counter all the time! I never realized how many current baking recipes call for or are timed with reference to a stand mixer. I use mine about twice a month, more around holiday times. Love it for whipping egg whites, cream, cookie dough, cake batter, breads, etc. There's just no comparison to a hand held mixer and it couldn't be easier to use and to clean. The pasta attachment, the grinder and the juicer all look worthwhile. There's also a soft ice cream maker and a shredder , though most people prefer a food processor for that.
  • GourmetmomGourmetmom Registered User Posts: 2,600 Senior Member
    The dough hook really mimics the motion of hand kneading. I can't tell the difference - I always finish the kneading by hand for a few seconds to make certain it is ready.
    ^I do it, too, for the same reson, then set it aside to "rest" under a bowl.
  • SlitheyToveSlitheyTove Registered User Posts: 6,337 Senior Member
    We have a KitchenAid stand mixer on the counter next to a KitchenAid food processor. They both compliment each other. I find the food processor more versatile, but the stand mixer is like another pair of hands when baking. I can throw butter and sugar into the bowl and then walk away for a few minutes. Ditto with whipping cream or kneading dough or whipping egg whites.
  • bookmama22bookmama22 Registered User Posts: 2,033 Senior Member
    I also love my kitchen aid stand mixer. It's about 12 years old, use it mostly for baking although I still use my hand mixer for whipping cream.My hand mixer is so old and is kept in the carton it came in and so my kids really enjoy the dated illustrations on the box. Next time around will use the Kitchen Aid which sits on my countertop right next to my Cuisinart blender, and over thirty year old American Food Processor, Cuisinart imitator which works just fine and makes a wonderful gazpacho. Actually both d's use more than I do for baking.
  • gekkomangekkoman Registered User Posts: 242 Junior Member
    Ours is 21 years old. We use it to grind left-over roast and steaks to make our version of Shepherds Pie. Also for mashed potatoes, whipped cream, cake and cookie mixes (maybe a little overkill). Its heavy but not oppressively so; we keep it in a cabinet at eye level and take it down as needed.
  • Cardinal FangCardinal Fang Registered User Posts: 16,030 Senior Member
    I use mine for baking. I love whipped cream, but I usually show off and whip it by hand with a wire whip.
This discussion has been closed.