Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
Introducing a New Expert Content Section: Careers!

Airlines to Asia

mom60mom60 Registered User Posts: 7,695 Senior Member
edited May 2012 in Parent Cafe
In the process of getting some fare info on flying LAX to Shanghai. So far the agent has given me flights on Air China and Southern China. Both those airlines seem to have terrible online reviews. What are some good airlines to fly to China? Is it worth a stopover to fly on a better rated airline?
Post edited by mom60 on

Replies to: Airlines to Asia

• BunsenBurnerBunsenBurner Registered User Posts: 35,517 Senior Member
    Plug your itinerary into Kayak - it usually displays more options than a typical travel site like Expedia.
  • AmesieAmesie Registered User Posts: 846 Member
    Just researched this, as D is in China for the summer. I read those same reviews, but I ended up choosing China Southern because of the direct flight from LAX to her city. Any other airline would have meant a second connection (she already had one connection from our home airport to LAX). She said China Southern was "fine." (She slept about 7 of the 15 hours of the flight.) She is not the world's most experienced traveler but she has flown Delta and United overseas, so she has some basis for comparison.

Personally, the only way I would think a stop-over is worth a different airline is if you had time to spend a few days in a stop-over city. But this is of course a matter of personal preference. How important is it to have attentive service? Or in-seat entertainment?
  • scmom12scmom12 Registered User Posts: 2,931 Senior Member
    Brother and sister in law lived in China many years, brother still does. They like Cafe (?) but I'm not sure if it still exists or if it flies out of LAX
  • emeraldkity4emeraldkity4 Registered User Posts: 35,861 Senior Member
  • anothermom-w-qanothermom-w-q Registered User Posts: 1,125 Senior Member
    Scmom12, you probably mean Cathay Pacific.
  • SlevenSleven Registered User Posts: 40 Junior Member
    Eva Air is worth checking out.
  • SEA_tideSEA_tide Registered User Posts: 3,877 Senior Member
    If you want to collect frequent flier miles, I'd recommend flying on a partner of whatever frequent flier program you have, keeping in mind that many discounted fares to Asia on non-US airlines don't earn 100% of flown miles and some fares don't earn any miles.

It sounds like the travel agent is looking at consolidator airfares, which means that you won't have a lot of choices in terms of airlines. The general suggestion is to visit a travel agent that caters to immigrants from the country you are traveling to and see what deals they have negotiated as they specialize in this type of travel. The LA Times may list some of these travel agents.

In terms of Asian Airlines, Singapore Airlines, Cathay Pacific, and Emirates are all highly rated. China Airlines (based in Taiwan), Asiana Airlines, Korean Airlines, and EVA Air are also very popular. For longer flights such as these, it helps to pay attention to the aircraft type and amenities as not all airlines will have individual screens in economy with on-demand entertainment.

If you are flying in economy, there is less difference among airlines than there is in business or first class. I enjoy flying different airlines and don't mind extra connections, especially if it saves me a few hundred dollars.
  • artloversplusartloversplus Registered User Posts: 8,314 Senior Member
    I'd say a direct flight is better than with stop overs. I travel to Asia often, Singapore and Eva have better service. But I am looking for direct flight over better service. I don't like in flight food anyway.
  • AmesieAmesie Registered User Posts: 846 Member
    The general suggestion is to visit a travel agent that caters to immigrants from the country you are traveling to and see what deals they have negotiated as they specialize in this type of travel. The LA Times may list some of these travel agents.

If anyone finds such a travel agent for China, please post (or pm me), as D will be going back to China next spring for a study abroad semester.
    For longer flights such as these, it helps to pay attention to the aircraft type and amenities as not all airlines will have individual screens in economy with on-demand entertainment.

Yes, D was disappointed that China Southern does not have the individual screens. H loaned her his ipad, though, and with that, in addition to her ipod touch, kindle, and PSP, she thought she could entertain herself for the flight. With all of these gadgets, I think the in-flight entertainment is less important. Plus, you never know when you will end up with the individual screen that malfunctions (on one flight from Paris, the plane had indiviudal screens but for the entire flight my screen was nothing but green streaks).
  • scmom12scmom12 Registered User Posts: 2,931 Senior Member
    That's prob right:) I just remember how much they liked the service, but then the company paid for one business class trip home a year and with 2 small children when they started that really helped.
  • ordinarylivesordinarylives Registered User Posts: 2,980 Senior Member
    Dh likes Korean air. I have no idea if they fly China. He's said good things about Eva, too.
  • minimini Registered User Posts: 26,431 Senior Member
    Overall, Singapore Airlines is by far the best, followed by Thai Air. But I don't know if they go where you need. I've always enjoyed Eva Air. And Asiana wasn't bad either. I've flown Cathay Pacific, but frankly can't remember it!

The only airline I ALWAYS avoid when I can is Air India. (Luckily, there are lots of good options for India now, beginning with Jet.)
  • ucbalumnusucbalumnus Registered User Posts: 69,891 Senior Member
    Non-stop options between LAX and PVG include:

Air China
    American Airlines
    China Eastern Airlines
    Hainan Airlines
    United Airlines

For one stop flights, you have other choices (connection airport):

Air Canada (YVR - Vancouver)
    Air France (CDG- Paris Charles De Gaulle)
    All Nippon Airlines (NRT - Tokyo Narita)
    Asiana Airlines (ICN - Inchon/Seoul)
    Cathay Pacific (HKG - Hong Kong)
    China Airlines (TPE - Taipei)
    China Southern (CAN - Guangzhou)
    Eva Air (TPE - Taipei)
    Japan Airlines (NRT - Tokyo Narita)
    Korean Air (ICN - Inchon/Seoul)
    Philippine Air (MNL - Manila)
    Singapore Air (SIN - Singapore)
  • mom60mom60 Registered User Posts: 7,695 Senior Member
    Ucbalumnus has a pretty good list.
    The question being are some of the airlines in the 2nd list worth having to stop?
    The travel agent we are working with is out of NY. He was referred to us by the University that my D attended. He booked the air for my D's work abroad internship. She flew to Shanghai via Hong Kong.
    We normally fly coach but are strongly considering business for this trip. It is a long flight and feel at this stage our bodies need the extra comfort.
  • mom60mom60 Registered User Posts: 7,695 Senior Member
    Opinions on Air Canada?
This discussion has been closed.