Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

P Diddy's son gets a full ride at UCLA

qdogpaqdogpa - Posts: 2,417 Member
edited June 2012 in Parent Cafe
Has nothing to do with Justin being P Disdy's son. ;)

Many 5'9" 175 lb defensive backs get full rides to D1 schools,

UCLA defends decision to award Sean 'Diddy' Combs' son Justin Combs full athletic scholarship

Read more: UCLA defends decision to award Sean 'Diddy' Combs' son Justin Combs full athletic scholarship - NY Daily News
Post edited by qdogpa on

Replies to: P Diddy's son gets a full ride at UCLA

• alwaysleahalwaysleah Registered User Posts: 2,737 Senior Member
    What's next, should we not pay salary to government employed people with rich families?

The kid earned an athletic scholarship. It has nothing to do with financial need. Many kids with wealthy parents who refuse to pay for college rely on athletic/merit scholarships. If we took those away because their parents are wealthy, then we take education away from those kids.
  • trojanchick99trojanchick99 Registered User Posts: 719 Member
    He was being recruited by a bunch of D1 schools, like UVA and BC so I don't see why he wouldn't be recruited by UCLA. They are at the moment not a top 25 program and they had quite a few scholarships to give.

The outrage over this is silly.
  • romanigypsyeyesromanigypsyeyes Registered User Posts: 33,648 Senior Member
    People who are outraged over this need to get over it. California already has one of the best aid programs and best uni systems in the country.

I say good for him. He's not just getting through life on daddy's money. Of course, it helped, but he didn't have to work his butt off for a scholarship. If anything, this should be a role model for other celebrity kids.
  • cobratcobrat Registered User Posts: 12,285 Senior Member
    One point of outrage is the fact that UCLA is a state school and thus, California taxpayers don't feel happy that some of their educational tax dollars may be going to someone whose father is seriously loaded.

Regardless of whether he earned it or not...doesn't look good from a PR standpoint...especially considering the severe educational cutbacks to the UCs and Cal States.
    I seriously doubt that the UCLA FOOTBALL program is funding their scholarships with taxpayer money. I'm sure that they MORE than make enough money to be self-sustaining without taxpayer money.
    ^You're right, it's not. It says so in the article.
    Now to be fair, Diddy might want to consider making a donation to UCLA in the same amount to divert negative attention away from his son. It's his money, his choice.

Then again, others will grumble about him doing that, too, I'm sure.
    ^ ^

That may be true, but I've been hearing from Cali relatives and reading from the online news that many Californians are unhappy at the budget cutbacks for many educational programs/facilities at UC/Cal state schools while sports are swimming in money. The dissonant inconsistency with what some may consider to be a misprioritization of sports/entertainment over the core mission of state universities of providing education...especially to Cali residents plays a big part in this perception.
  • alwaysamomalwaysamom Registered User Posts: 12,101 Senior Member
    It says in the article that these scholarships are not funded with taxpayer money. My guess is that his father is likely to make some generous donations to the school.
    Cobrat, the sports bring in a large revenue themselves. I wonder id they are even self funded, especially football.
  • MD MomMD Mom Registered User Posts: 6,728 Senior Member
    Thank goodness most recipients of merit awards do not have to disclose financial information or even more people would be outraged.

We are not in the same category as P. Diddy, but I had a jealous neighbor make a crack when my DD accepted a nice scholarship rather than attending the big name school where we would have been full pay.

I do not see a thing wrong with it.
    It says in the article that these scholarships are not funded with taxpayer money. My guess is that his father is likely to make some generous donations to the school.

Perception is often more powerful than reality.

IMHO, P Diddy could have headed this off at the pass ahead of time by doing one of two things:

1. Having his son accept the "honor" of the athletic scholarship without accepting the money.

2. Upon hearing of the scholarship...immediately issuing a press statement vowing to make contributions to scholarship funds....especially for California residents.
  • MD MomMD Mom Registered User Posts: 6,728 Senior Member
    I would also add that my daughter takes pride in the fact that she pays her tuition. A celebrity's kid surely would feel the same.
    cobrat, that's just not fair. Maybe the kid just wants to be Justin Combs rather than P Diddy's son. I don't blame him. Maybe he wants to do this on his own without dad making speeches about him or statements on his behalf.

This really, REALLY should not be an issue at all. I am a firm believer in leaving celebrity kids OUT of the media. It's not their fault that mom or dad is famous.
  • CuriousJaneCuriousJane Registered User Posts: 820 Member
    From my point of view, D1 football is a job. Student-athletes work their butts off in order to advance their own career, but also to bring recognition and income to the college. They are paid in the form of a scholarship.

If Justin had taken a job in the Development Office, would we expect P Diddy to make a donation to offset his son's salary? No. Why should he do that here?
This discussion has been closed.