Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
Introducing a New Expert Content Section: Careers!

food shopping once a month...

Replies to: food shopping once a month...

• moonchildmoonchild Registered User Posts: 3,296 Senior Member
    You might consider subscribing to one of the CSA farms that deliver fresh fruits and vegetables weekly or every other week. We get an organic box from Capay Farms in Nor Cal- even though we live in SoCal- as they have a large clientele down here. You can get a small box every other month for around $25, which would mean less than $15 a week. The produce is fresh, organic, and does last a pretty long time in the refrigerator- over a week for most fruits and some of the heartier veggies. There very likely is a similar farm in that delivers in your area.
    They leave the food on your doorstep in the early morning. - It's fun, healthy, and not too expensive, imo.
    It's important to have a safe place to leave the food, however. I wouldn't trust it in my Dd's apartment complex, but my son's would be ok.
    http://www.farmfreshtoyou.com/index.php
  • romanigypsyeyesromanigypsyeyes Registered User Posts: 33,580 Senior Member
    Moon, I've never heard of that! You've inspired me to check it out and it seems we have a few in my area. I will definitely be trying this!
  • Emaheevul07Emaheevul07 Registered User Posts: 5,966 Senior Member
    romani-- I assume you have that by school and not by home, right? I was just thinking that sounds SO COOL!
    If you google "CSA farms (your state)" you might find one that will deliver in your area. :)
  • familyof3boysfamilyof3boys Registered User Posts: 1,216 Senior Member
    In case you didn't know, bread freezes well. I always purchase our bread when it is on sale, and store the remaining loaves in the freezer. This also works for bagels...just slice them before you freeze. I pull a bread (or bagels) out as needed, and let them thaw on the counter. I usually pull out a loaf at a time, but if I lived alone, I would perhaps freeze half a loaf.

I was at the market recently...in line behind a woman who was purchasing 1 loaf of bread that was on sale Buy 1-Get 1 Free. I pointed out that she could get another loaf free, but she replied that she wouldn't be able to use it up. I shared with her that bread freezes/thaws quite easily, but she still bought just one. :confused:
    ^^People are funny. We often freeze our bread because there are only 2 of us living here, now. The OP, however, can't have gluten. That makes things a bit tougher.
  • romanigypsyeyesromanigypsyeyes Registered User Posts: 33,580 Senior Member
    Ema, yeah I meant school. I messaged my mom about it though and she's looking into it in our area.
  • icedragonicedragon Registered User Posts: 2,170 Senior Member
    Very high chance that i will be in a single due to medical reasons :)

Transportation is the key. My school is, well, slightly far away from the store. There is, however, a costco down the hill from my school (about a mile or so away). So, potentially, I could somehow get down there and raid it.

I don't eat much in processed food. In fact, if i can't read what its made out of, I normally stay away from it.

About the chex, I normally use it as a snack/aid to stop acid reflux. It stores really well, so i decided to stock up.

I adore peanut butter :3 So I plan on having a supply of that on hand.

I will probably get myself a rice cooker, and maybe a crockpot for when i'm down there.

I will have to look at getting veggies and stuff delivered.Has anyone ever done this at a college campus?
  • pageagainpageagain User Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 107 New Member
    once a month is probably not enough. esp if you live alone and only cook/eat the food yourself. milk, eggs, cheese,juice, fruits, dairy meats, all go bad fast. Many things do not come in single size or even a normal size. I like a certain brand of almond milk and soy milk that is nearly sold by the barrel ( sarcasm) but still. no way I can drink it all before it goes bad. I might want a glass a week or so and the rest is dumped down the drain and into the trash. Same with many things that are deals for a family of 5 for me it is a waste. I buy a lot of stuff knowing some of it will end up in the trash.
  • emeraldkity4emeraldkity4 Registered User Posts: 35,861 Senior Member
    The thing about CSA delivery is that you don't pick the produce, so you have to be open minded about the selection. They often do include recipes however if you need some help.

I would agree that you would have more options if you go shopping more than once amonth,but I disagree that you should expect a lot of waste.

My h only eats one meal at home, and neither of us eat much but we don't waste food, it's too expensive for that!
    ( we also shop at minimum, once a week)
  • HImomHImom Registered User Posts: 31,777 Senior Member
    I guess it's hard for me to imagine food shopping only once/month. When I was 12, I went food shopping for our family of 9 EVERY DAY! That is what I'm used to so I think I'm doing great if I only have to go food shopping once every few days. If I can only go once/week, I'm estatic! I love leafy fresh veggies & they don't keep long, even in a good fridge, so I have to buy those pretty often.
  • walkinghomewalkinghome Registered User Posts: 7,722 Senior Member
    My son's college has a CSA available - Champlain College News: Summer CSA Available at Champlain I get saving money and buying in bulk to a point, but unless you are incredibly far from a store, I don't see the point in only shopping once a month. Yes, for things like paper supplies, but weekly seems less stressful to me. Even in our family of four, things go bad before I can use them.

I would instead encourage finding places for good fresh vegetables and proteins and simply keeping a well stocked pantry like most people do. Stocking a basic pantry
  • icedragonicedragon Registered User Posts: 2,170 Senior Member
    Well, would it be doable if i took advantage of that costco? It is right across the street from one of my Uni's buildings (thus i can jump on the shuttle bus to get to it). I would probably only use it for veggies and such, then i could get back and cook up half of it and freeze it for later use and such :/
  • VeryHappyVeryHappy Registered User Posts: 17,789 Senior Member
    Yes, but why?? If it's convenient, just buy fresh veggies once a week. If you freeze them, they lose texture, flavor, and nutrients.
  • MoreoverMoreover Registered User Posts: 1,158 Senior Member
    Remember that many Costco products are packaged in very large quantities. Could you eat lunch out at a salad bar or place with lots of fresh stuff on the third or fourth week of the month after you run out of fresh stuff? Make it a social time to see your friends to justify the expense. My daughter's school will also let you take a piece of fruit out of the cafeteria with your meal. You can get boxed milk in individual sizes or a bigger box.
This discussion has been closed.