Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

food shopping once a month...

13»

Replies to: food shopping once a month...

• lookingforwardlookingforward Registered User Posts: 28,631 Senior Member
    I big-shop once a month- and just get a few extras in-between, plus milk, veggies, salad. The trick is you have to be able to anticipate what you'll need over the course of a month. I find that each in-between trip always slurps a bit over that trip's mental budget, which adds up.

I either cut large items like a roast or chicken before freezing or cook whole, then freeze portions. When the kids were little, we shopped BJ's and I also broke down those big boxes of kid things into smaller packages, so they fit better in the freezer. It's worth it to have very good freezer bags and also wrap items within them, to avoid drying out.

Your issue will be carrying so many bags back. For that reason, when I lived in an area without a car, I started with multiple trips for staples- the canned things, oil, pbutter, tp, whatever. Then, could pare each big trip. Or, you get a ride from someone- or parents when they are there.

If you know what you like, managing this way is easy. And, Annasdad, I love Aldi!
    Oh, btw, both colleges I work for have CSA arrangements. But, you pick up the goods at some location. This is probably covered somewhere on the web sites.
  • thumper1thumper1 Registered User Posts: 70,998 Senior Member
    Aldi fan here too. I really love the place for certain things. It's not uniformly outstanding but I do love their yogurt, milk products, cottage cheese, and many of their cereals and crackers.

The key to shopping monthly is having sufficient STORAGE for what you buy.
  • SunnySallySunnySally Registered User Posts: 54 Junior Member
    Shopping just once a month can be tricky. As other posters said you do need to have some storage for stuff that you get. I have been to Aldi, but was not thrilled with what i saw there. I like to buy certain things only if i know the brand. One good thing to look for in shopping are small spots that sell fresh produce. You can get some good deals if you buy from smaller places such as the "corner" store that gets it's stuff from roving salespeople. Like people that take stuff directly from the farms and then sell it to small stores.

There are some vegetables that keep well in the freezer. Soybeans, or endamame is good right from the freezer as is spinach. I would imagine that you could get some rice noodles and have them with a peanut sauce. Since you love peanut butter, you might like peanut sauce on noodles.

i use sesame oil, spicy chile sauce(if you can handle it)plain ground peanut butter, garlic, soy sauce, some rice wine vinegar and chopped scallions. The recipe is mostly peanut butter with maybe equal parts of the others and then to suit your taste. It is really good with pan fried tilapia and basil.
  • icedragonicedragon Registered User Posts: 2,170 Senior Member
    I don't drive and i do not know the bus route well enough. :/ I will, probably learn the bus route somehow and figure it out from there.

My mom may come down every so often (depends on how she is feeling) so i can do major stock ups then.

Unfortienently, my school does not have a good salad bar. They have one in the main eatery, but it isn't well kept up and everything tends to get cross contaminated :/ They also sell salads in prepackaged portions, but again, due to my tomato allergy, I can't go for it.
  • lookingforwardlookingforward Registered User Posts: 28,631 Senior Member
    We found that sometimes buying a few of the sealed (not just zipped) bags of cut lettuce is worth the fact that they are slightly more expensive. (I like it when they're on sale.) They don't age as fast as loose heads. Not until you open them.

Also, for larger trips, it can be worth it to shell out the $5 or so to get back to your apt, with lots of bags, via taxi. Good luck.
  • Emaheevul07Emaheevul07 Registered User Posts: 5,966 Senior Member
    Maybe you could use something like this? Amazon.com: American Trading House, Inc. H1001XL-Heavy Duty Shopping Cart in Black: Home & Kitchen This is what we used to have to do when we had to take the bus into town to get groceries.
  • thumper1thumper1 Registered User Posts: 70,998 Senior Member
    icedragon, my kid did NOT have a car on campus at all in college...but she had plenty of friends who did. Since they all needed to go grocery shopping at times, my kid just offered to chip in for gas for the trips. They were all friends. It worked out well...also sometimes there are buy one get one free offers or even buy one get two free. When she went with a friend, they were able to take advantage of these offers.
  • walkinghomewalkinghome Registered User Posts: 7,722 Senior Member
    I'm sure you will get it all figured out icedragon, but you might want to simply look at sale items at your local small grocers instead of cluttering up your small apartment with warehouse sized items. I find that cereal, for instance, is usually less expensive at my local grocery store when it's on sale and I have a coupon then it is at Costco.
13»
This discussion has been closed.