Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

anesthesiology question

KajonKajon Registered User Posts: 4,434 Senior Member
edited May 2012 in Parent Cafe
I am scheduled for neck surgery next week and am concerned about a potential reaction to anesthesiology.

I am allergic to sulfa, contrast dye and potentially sulfites (throat gets tight and tongue feels numb). Last month I had a cervical epidural for a pinched nerve. She gave me a Betadine (25cc's/mg's) prep and drape. and then 1% lidocaine without epinephrine. Omnipaque 300, 10 mg of Decadron with 0.5 cc of 4% lidocaine on the nerve. (A month earlier, I had taken the prednisone pack with no issues)

7 hours later my heart started racing and stayed at 120 for 1 1/2 hours. This entered into a pattern of jumping 40-50 beats every time I stood up. Standing still also raised my heart rate. After about a month this has started to settle down (though my resting heart rate is now in the high 50's versus the 68-72 it was pre ESI.

I also vomit from the sedative prop..... (the one they give to relax you while you remain awake during a colonoscopy)

I guess I don't know what I reacted to, but I want to make sure I don't have an issue when I a knocked out. I am nervous that i will have a negative reaction while I am knocked out an I won't be able to tell them. Are there alternatives to lidocaine? In my situation can this be addressed with only a quick pre op conversation with the anesthesiologist or should I try to discuss this with them earlier?

I am probably being a worry wart, but........
Post edited by Kajon on

Replies to: anesthesiology question

• gouf78gouf78 Registered User Posts: 6,981 Senior Member
    There are alternatives to Lidocaine which often causes allergic reactions. I would tell them both before hand AND your anesthesiologist.
  • dmd77dmd77 Registered User Posts: 8,663 Senior Member
    Call your surgeon and ask to schedule an appointment with the anesthesiologist to discuss your anesthesia.
  • SnowflakeVTSnowflakeVT Registered User Posts: 2,486 Senior Member
    My H had similar reaction that you describe when he had to take Prednisone. Itchy, jumpy, and he couldn't sleep, so vowed not to ever take Prednisone again. The reaction persisted many days after he took it. As I'm sure you know, any drug can cause strange reactions, and it good you have so much data on what you took and how you reacted.

Follow dmd's advice ... talking to your doctor and anesthesiologist is the best solution. I just had a minor surgery yesterday and had to go under general, and the anesthesiologist stopped by while I was being prepped and talked to me for 15 minutes or so, and I am a pretty simple case. If they know you are concerned they'll take more time to discuss these details you have.

Good luck!
  • jandjdadjandjdad Registered User Posts: 532 Member
    Be sure to mention the sulfite allegy to the anesthesiologist because that is used as preservative in many local anesthesias.
  • MomofWildChildMomofWildChild Registered User Posts: 22,308 Senior Member
    You absolutely have to discuss this with the anesthesiologist. I hardly ever say this, but this is NOT a question that can be answered for you on an internet forum.
  • ASMAJASMAJ Registered User Posts: 2,097 Senior Member
    Like everyone one else mentioned, speak to your anesthesiologist and make them aware of your previous history, which he will ask anyways. They know a variety of techniques and are able to adapt to different situations. It also possible some of the mention anesthetics might not be used depending what type of anesthesia method used (MAC vs general vs spinal, etc).

Lidocaine allergy is really rare. Lidocaine is usual the drug given if you are allergic to esters, such as procaine or cocaine. It's also possible that you are allergic to some of the preservatives used such as methylparaben or the sodium bisulfite, but all that will be sorted out when you speak to the doctor.
  • icedragonicedragon Registered User Posts: 2,170 Senior Member
    As a person allergic to sulfa, penicillian, azithromiacin and the like I can understand your pain.

You need to contact the surgon and the anestesiologist before hand. I have no doubt that it will be in your files at the hospital, but it helps to contact them ahead of time.

I too react badly to anistesea (with eather coming out of it early and/or becoming very sick off of it, as was the case with the last surgery I had).
  • KajonKajon Registered User Posts: 4,434 Senior Member
    Thanks for the replies. I read them as I was sitting in the waiting room for my pre surgery nurse visit (platelet check, etc.)

I took your advice and requested an appointment with the anesthesiologist. There was some resistance from the nurse, but I held my ground and she made the call. Voila!!!! To her surprise, the head of anesthesiology was more than willing to meet with me. I headed over to the hospital and spent about 10-15 minutes expressing my concerns and listening to his reassurances.

I feel much better!
  • Nrdsb4Nrdsb4 Registered User Posts: 15,991 Senior Member
    I had neck surgery last fall. Good luck with your surgery; I hope it takes care of your problems.
  • momofthreeboysmomofthreeboys Registered User Posts: 16,450 Senior Member
    Is is NOT unusual to have a pre-op meeting with the anesthesiologist...do not feel like this is unusual!
  • SkyhookSkyhook Registered User Posts: 1,095 Senior Member
    I'm not an anesthesiologist, but I've had lots of surgeries. My guess is the anesthesiologist is a person who wants NO surprises from the patient on his/her table. This stuff is very important for that person to know.
  • sorghumsorghum Registered User Posts: 3,442 Senior Member
    There was some resistance from the nurse

Unemployment for the nurse would be a good idea.
This discussion has been closed.