Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

recommendation car service JFK to Manhattan

TutuTaxiTutuTaxi Registered User Posts: 1,531 Senior Member
edited July 2012 in Parent Cafe
I am looking for a reliable (nothing fancy) car service for a trip from JFK to fashion district area of Manhattan. TIA
Post edited by TutuTaxi on

Replies to: recommendation car service JFK to Manhattan

• archiemomarchiemom Registered User Posts: 1,616 Senior Member
    Try Uber. Flat rate from the airport to anywhere in NYC = $85.00 including tip. Summon your private driver on your smart phone (or by text) and that's all you need to do. Full disclosure...my son works for them in SF...but they are really great!
  • soozievtsoozievt Registered User, ! Posts: 31,486 Senior Member
    That sounds like too much money to me.

My daughter has used Carmel Car Service many times.

CarmelLimo - NY Limousine Service New York City, Airport Limousine Services. Limousine New York City (NYC) & At NY Airport

I believe this trip would cost you $48 plus tolls and tip.
  • MommaJMommaJ Registered User Posts: 5,699 Senior Member
    The NYC flat rate cabfare between JFK and Manhattan is $45.50 plus tolls, so the above deal sounds great. For $85 I'd expect a bottle of champagne to be included at least!
  • archiemomarchiemom Registered User Posts: 1,616 Senior Member
    ^^Just bottled water (and occasionally Red Bull) with your Uber ;) . Taxis are definitely cheaper, but the OP asked about car service. The advantage with Uber is that you do not have to make a reservation in advance as with a standard limo service...but it's a convenience you do pay for.
  • justforthisjustforthis Registered User Posts: 470 Member
    We used Dial 7 last year; driver was on time both going to and from JFK; no complaints and very reasonably priced at $40
  • bhmommabhmomma Registered User Posts: 627 Member
    The cab stand in JFK generally moves fairly quickly and it is a flat fare as noted above. Do not accepted unsolicited rides from unlicensed "cabs" or sedans.
  • soozievtsoozievt Registered User, ! Posts: 31,486 Senior Member
    bhmomma, agreed.....the taxi stands at JFK move fairly quickly and have a flat rate into Manhattan. That is what we use. My daughter (or I, if visiting the city), use Carmel Car Service for rides TO the airport, as she doesn't live where you can readily flag down a cab and it also is trying to make a plane on time. But when arriving in NYC, we use the cab stands at the airport. Carmel's rates are pretty close to the flat rates charged by the taxis.

To clarify, my D lives there, but I don't.
  • TutuTaxiTutuTaxi Registered User Posts: 1,531 Senior Member
    Thanks to all my cyber friends :)

Booked w/ Carmel this morning. I'm still nervous but not as stressed about the trip from JFK.
  • MaterMiaMaterMia Registered User Posts: 1,160 Senior Member
    I have the worst luck with NYC cabs - they drive like complete idiots who relish at the thought of your life flashing before your eyes - as they swerve and duck through traffic. That on top of the windows are usually down, the cab is hot - and the smog rolls in the windows as you careen down the highways. Car service all the way.
  • jym626jym626 Registered User Posts: 55,015 Senior Member
    It must be past my bedtime. The fact that poster "TutuTaxi" is asking for "reliable car service" cracked me up!!

Actually, we used to use a limo driver all the time when we were going to/from my late dads. He is a nice guy. Name is Stormy. PM me if you need me to dig out his number. We didnt need him when we switched to flying into White Plains, but he's probably still around.
  • cbreezecbreeze Registered User Posts: 4,670 Senior Member
    I've often used Dial 7. Their online rate is $40 from JFK, plus they always have a $5 off coupon.
  • MaterMiaMaterMia Registered User Posts: 1,160 Senior Member
    We used dial 7 - excellent. Easy to find coupon.
  • vicariousparentvicariousparent Registered User Posts: 5,940 Senior Member
    Yes, I also recommend Dial 7, and use it all the time.

The problem with relying on yellow cabs is that at certain times of day when the shift changes (around 5 p.m.) the drivers all want to go back to their garage and don't want to go to the airport. So if they see you with some suitcases trying to hail their cab, they may not stop for you. They also tend to avoid going to the airport during the morning rush hours because they make more money by staying in Manhattan.
  • LakeWashingtonLakeWashington Registered User Posts: 9,295 Senior Member
    Vicariousparent, that's why New York City's infamous government-sanctioned cab oligarchy needs to be eliminated. Anyone with a properly serviced and safe vehice should eligible for a taxi license. Come one, come all. That's my soapbox for today.
  • MomofWildChildMomofWildChild Registered User Posts: 22,234 Senior Member
    Another vote for Dial 7 and make sure you get the coupon.
This discussion has been closed.