Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Edwards' Press Conference

KKmamaKKmama Registered User Posts: 2,821 Senior Member
edited June 2012 in Parent Cafe
How refreshing to hear him be humble and admit that he handled things incorrectly. So often people make up excuses or justify their behavior, but he seems to have actually learned something out of this mess.
Post edited by KKmama on

Replies to: Edwards' Press Conference

• mom2collegekidsmom2collegekids Forum Champion Financial Aid Posts: 83,270 Forum Champion
    Yeah, he learned how to read a carefully prepared statement written by a well-paid handler. So impressive.
  • atomomatomom Registered User Posts: 4,438 Senior Member
    Not at all a fan of Edwards, but I also found it surprising--even shocking-- to hear him say ". . .I did an awful, awful lot that was wrong, and there is no one else responsible for my sins." Wow. Did he say "my SINS?"
    Actually brought a tear to my eye. I always think of his poor wife. . .

(OTOH, maybe he's trying to gain sympathy for the next trial.)
  • KajonKajon Registered User Posts: 4,413 Senior Member
    I didn't buy his apology for a minute, so I guess I am still angry that he couldn't keep his Johnson in the barn while his wife was trying to fight cancer.
  • VeryHappyVeryHappy Registered User Posts: 17,482 Senior Member
    Not to mention lying lying lying about it, and using almost-campaign contributions to keep his mistress in ritzy accommodations.
  • katliamomkatliamom Registered User Posts: 11,911 Senior Member
    The guy's a sleaze ball. Nothing he says will in any way redeem him in MY eyes at least. But I also don't think we should be spending any more taxpayer money on this loser.
  • NYMomof2NYMomof2 Registered User Posts: 5,982 Senior Member
    I hadn't heard the outcome - just watched his speech. I may be an awful, cynical person, but my take is that it was all about him, and I think he sees it as the first step in his redemption and return to public life. He makes me sick. From everything I've read, the charges against him were a real stretch, and I didn't want him to be found guilty or to go to jail. His children need him. For three of them, he is the only remaining parent. But I was hoping never to have to see his face or hear his voice again. I find him repulsive.
    Well, even Eliot Spitzer is back on TV.

Ick.
  • MarianMarian Registered User Posts: 12,865 Senior Member
    The guy's a jerk.

This has been amply proven.

I hope the government doesn't waste any money trying him again, though. His career and reputation are already suitably ruined. Further legal proceedings wouldn't accomplish anything useful.

Besides, all this seems to be hard on Cate, who appears to be a perfectly reasonable person who might like to left alone for a while.
  • atomomatomom Registered User Posts: 4,438 Senior Member
    NYMom--no, you're not cynical. Edwards is a narcissist. It IS all about HIM. Which is how he got himself into this mess.
  • JHSJHS Registered User Posts: 17,578 Senior Member
    I was not a fan of Edwards before this mess came out, and I sure don't think more highly of him on account of it. However,

-- Enough already. This is not an appropriate campaign financing prosecution.

-- From my vicarious, anecdotal experience, the club of people who have extramarital affairs while their spouses are dying of a terminal illness -- it's a pretty big club. And I don't think all the members are awful people. Some are weak, confused people going through an horrific experience that distorts minds and souls. I don't condone what they did, but I don't feel like sitting in judgment much, either. I'm glad I haven't had to face that situation, and hope I never do.

(Newt Gingrich, though, is an awful person.)
    One begins to think that all male politicians do this.

Many do, that's for sure.
  • SkyhookSkyhook Registered User Posts: 1,095 Senior Member
    Confession and contrition = To garner sympathy
    Calling it "sin" = To make a clear distinction his misdeeds are not crimes

All of it in an effort to dissuade prosecutors from re-filing charges
  • tango14tango14 Registered User Posts: 1,578 Senior Member
    There are a lot of males that do this, not just politicians. It's just that we know about the politicians and other public figures.

BTW, some females do, too.
  • katliamomkatliamom Registered User Posts: 11,911 Senior Member
    Of course lots of people cheat, lie, betray, belittle and delude themselves.
    But this guy took people's hard-earned money (and I'm not talking about Bunny Mellon) to continue a political campaign that he himself was destroying from within. That, and the fact that he puts himself out there, in the public eye, makes him fair game for criticism, derision and judgment.
  • NYMomof2NYMomof2 Registered User Posts: 5,982 Senior Member
    I agree, Marian, about Cate. I give her a lot of credit for sitting through that trial to support her father. The poor woman lost her brother and her mother. I hope that she will have some peace now to start her life with her new husband.

Very good points, katliamom. I don't know how he can delude himself that he can re-enter politics. He was going nowhere as a presidential candidate even before the scandal broke.
This discussion has been closed.