right arrow
Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04

PBS Call the Midwife

PackMomPackMom 7650 replies17 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
edited March 2013 in Parent Cafe
Is anybody else watching this show? I've watched the first three episodes and am hooked. While watching, I find myself wishing the episode wouldn't end. I sense a Dowton Abbey-like obesseion coming on!
edited March 2013
469 replies
Post edited by PackMom on
· Reply · Share

Replies to: PBS Call the Midwife

• Nrdsb4Nrdsb4 16946 replies159 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    ^^^^^sounds interesting.

Speaking of Downton Abbey, when will season 3 air?
    · Reply · Share
  • NewEnglandMotherNewEnglandMother 485 replies3 threadsRegistered User Member
    I am addicted to this too, happened to catch it a couple of weeks ago and was so happy to run across it again last night. Now I will have to put it on my calendar so I won't miss an episode.
    · Reply · Share
  • fendrockfendrock 2901 replies292 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    Are you watching this from the PBS website?
    · Reply · Share
  • emilybeeemilybee 13146 replies35 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    I am loving it, too.

I'm also watching the "new" Upstairs Downstairs.

DA starts again in January.
    · Reply · Share
  • coureurcoureur 11196 replies190 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    I'm watching it. It's pretty good although I struggle with some of the accents. From decades of watching PBS I can understand most British accents pretty well. And I have no trouble at all with characters who speak in educated Oxbridge/BBC accents. But "Midwife" often has east-end characters mumbling something that can be hard to catch, especially with the mood music track laid over the top of the dialogue.
    · Reply · Share
  • GladGradDadGladGradDad 2804 replies14 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    I saw some of them. They're 'okay' but nothing worth skipping 'The Amazing Race' for.

fendrock - yes, on PBS.
    · Reply · Share
  • PackMomPackMom 7650 replies17 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    emilybee, I'm watching Upstairs,Downstairs too,
    · Reply · Share
  • glowormgloworm 2390 replies2 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    I have avoided watching it, because i already watch DA and Doc Martin. other than sports I practically only watch PBS.
    · Reply · Share
  • bookmama22bookmama22 2285 replies0 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    I'm watching too... I think it's good and of course based on actual memoirs. What struck me right away was about how many children and pregnancies these women endured as birth control was not easily obtainable .. and how they smoked not only during their pregnancy but right in the clinic waiting for their appointments.
    · Reply · Share
  • shyparentalunitshyparentalunit 327 replies17 threadsRegistered User Member
    I'm watching--loved the book and I think the episodes have been quite well done. DH, however, leaves the room when the women in labor start screaming...
    · Reply · Share
  • GladGradDadGladGradDad 2804 replies14 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    DH, however, leaves the room when the women in labor start screaming...
    I hit the mute button for that.
    · Reply · Share
  • LergnomLergnom 7737 replies189 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    The good parts of Call the Midwife outweigh the silly plots. The portraits of the lives of the poor are good and there is something viscerally moving about babies being born, especially when there are problems to solve. You always root for new life.
    · Reply · Share
  • Nrdsb4Nrdsb4 16946 replies159 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    What struck me right away was about how many children and pregnancies these women endured as birth control was not easily obtainable .. and how they smoked not only during their pregnancy but right in the clinic waiting for their appointments.

My mother smoked like a chimney through five pregnancies. I was the smallest baby at 8 lbs., and all of us were vigorous, healthy babies. Go figure.

The smoking didn't work out too well for HER (multiple strokes starting at age 48), but somehow my sibs and I were all healthy in spite of it.
    · Reply · Share
  • CountingDownCountingDown 13438 replies110 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    I missed last night, but our local station is re-airing it tonight at 1:00, which is why I am still awake!
    · Reply · Share
  • coureurcoureur 11196 replies190 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    >>I have avoided watching it, because i already watch DA and Doc Martin. other than sports I practically only watch PBS. <<

So what's wrong with that? Watching only PBS except for some sports describes my viewing habits perfectly.
    · Reply · Share
  • glowormgloworm 2390 replies2 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    Well, courier, I think I watch too much already.
    · Reply · Share
    I set the DVR to record the whole series it so I can watch it anytime. Did the same for Upstairs,Downstairs.

At the end of Sunday night's Call the Midwife episode, there was a preview for DA. Looks like Shirley McClaine and Maggie Smith will be going at each other from the get go. I don't think a date for the first show was mentioned or maybe I just missed it.
    · Reply · Share
    Ooops, just saw on the DA thread that it starts in January.
    · Reply · Share
  • OnwardOnward 2907 replies79 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    Watched the first episode last night and I'm hooked.
    · Reply · Share
  • BookladyBooklady 3086 replies36 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    I'm delighted by the character of Chummy and the fact that she's not just a character played for laughs. It's also refreshing to see the religious women shown as caring, competent people, without being mawkish and sentimental, the way they might be on American TV.
    · Reply · Share
This discussion has been closed.

Recent Activity