Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
Please take a moment to read our updated TOS, Privacy Policy, and Forum Rules.

iPad mini et al

Replies to: iPad mini et al

• emeraldkity4emeraldkity4 Registered User Posts: 35,861 Senior Member
    ^^^ well, that certainly sounds like it would have been worth putting off the purchase of the ipad3 almost 8 months until the ipad4 will be available.
  • BunsenBurnerBunsenBurner Registered User Posts: 32,502 Senior Member
    The only person to comment on it was a TSA agent at the Seattle airport, who told me I didn’t need to take my iPad out of my bag.

LOL.
    This is a great device. It is a new thing, in a new space, and likely to confuse many of Microsoft’s longtime customers. People will have problems with applications — especially when they encounter them online and are given an option by Internet Explorer to run them, only to discover this won’t work. But overall it’s quite good; certainly better than any full-size Android tablet on the market. And once the application ecosystem fleshes out, it’s a viable alternative to the iPad as well.

Surface got decent reviews from Wired et al. Review: Microsoft Surface Tablet Fingers crossed for for the Pro.
  • coolweathercoolweather Registered User Posts: 5,405 Senior Member
    I heard the same thing at work.
  • razorsharprazorsharp Registered User Posts: 6,161 Senior Member
    The Nexus 10 is a brand new tablet manufactured from Apple-foe Samsung. There should be no doubt in anyone's mind that Samsung is hoping to appeal to consumers who lust after the Retina Display on Apple's iPad. The iPad 3 and 4 have 9.7-inch displays with 2048 x 1536 pixels and 264 pixels per inch. The Nexus 10 has a 10.05-inch display that has a 2560 x 1600 pixel resolution, making for 300 pixels per inch.

Google Nexus 10 Bests iPad's Retina Display - Hardware -

The Nexus 10 is bigger, has a better screen, and does not cost much more than the mini.
    Can you use 4g ?
  • BunsenBurnerBunsenBurner Registered User Posts: 32,502 Senior Member
    And is this a huge disadvantage? When it comes to graphics-heavy browsing, 4G is useless. I rarely use it on my iPad. Besides, there isn't a square inch in our town where at lease some wifi is not available. All you have to do is to look for a Stabucks logo. :)
  • LergnomLergnom Registered User Posts: 7,926 Senior Member
    People will find reasons to justify what they buy. Does a keyboard that doesn't require the extra steps of tapping settings, tapping bluetooth on, tapping connect matter? It will for some, not for others. We don't know in part because over 100 million tablets have been sold without keyboards and a large percentage of those have not bought add-on keyboards. Will it matter more over time? Well, over time if it matters then tablets will have auto-recognized keyboards of some fashion. That the Surface is the first doesn't mean it will be the only or even the only for very long, given how quickly the Asian companies poach intellectual property.

How big is the market? No one knows.

It's interesting to me MS is betting on a form of lock-in. Makes sense. Apple has a form in the money people have invested in iOS apps. MS offers Office, trying to transfer that lock-in from desktops.
  • BCEagle91BCEagle91 Registered User Posts: 22,762 Senior Member
    I'm considering the 3G Nexus 7 for my mother. She doesn't have internet access and this would be a cheap way to get her email and web access. I think that it's pretty hard for Apple and Microsoft to compete against Google and Amazon as they are selling the hardware at cost and making their profits in other ways.
  • minimini Registered User Posts: 26,431 Senior Member
    I'm thinking of suing them for trademark infringement for using my name.
  • dstarkdstark Registered User Posts: 34,241 Senior Member
    :)................
  • LergnomLergnom Registered User Posts: 7,926 Senior Member
    It's fascinating watching the innovation and change.

I've been trying to think about ultrabook convertibles. Isn't that what the Surface takes on? The convertibles have much bigger drives but weigh more. Are convertibles a product which doesn't fit a market?

Some things are just stupid. The dumb ad about the new way to work: with a stylus. Showing the stylus doing all sorts of things you can do just as well or better with your finger. But convertibles? There's something appealing about them but I'm not sure where they fit. Is this going to be my only device?

I saw that Apple's iPad performance last quarter was sort of misreported. The report noted that shipments were up 26% but it turns out that was because they stuffed the distribution channel the prior quarter. Actual sales were up 44%, which is a really good number. That suggests tablet momentum, not just for the iPad but in general, is not slowing at all. I find the numbers for tablets generally to be highly distorted - and annoying - because Google and Amazon don't report sales, which I think is wrong, and analysts seem to willfully confuse shipments with actual sales.
  • BCEagle91BCEagle91 Registered User Posts: 22,762 Senior Member
    The jury is out until people start buying convertibles and using them. A ten-inch laptop is on the small side for a laptop for me. It's on the big side for a tablet for me too (I prefer the 7-inch models). I think that I'd like the 15 inch Retina MBP but I don't need to replace my current laptop.

So, we'll see.
    Did you see the floating apple store launched?
    Jacht Steve Jobs te water in Aalsmeer | One More Thing
  • SnowflakeVTSnowflakeVT Registered User Posts: 2,474 Senior Member
    Good news! Uh oh, bad news! Then, Good news again!

I bought an iPad the week of Oct. 16th, which of course was the iPad 3 (called the NEW iPad at the time, hummppf). I used it for a week and absolutely loved it, other than the charge time, and then Apple sucks the wind out of my sale and announces the iPad4. I went from being so happy with my gadget (and I am a geek at heart) to seriously bummed.

I continued moping for a week, and getting teased by fellow geeks at work that I was obsolete a week after I spent $500. Finally, on the 2nd Friday after the announce, I called Apple support and told them I wanted to return it. By this point I was so annoyed w/ Apple that I was ready to get the Surface instead, only because my geek feelings were hurt.

Now I have ordered the iPad 4, have a shipping label printed for my iPad 3, and when I get my iPhone 5 later this month, I'll have matching connectors, too.

Talk about excellent customer service! I told Apple exactly what I said above ... I didn't say the iPad 3 didn't work, I even told them I loved the stupid thing until I hated it. Good job Apple ... I haven't seen good old fashioned customer service in a while.
This discussion has been closed.