Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
Please take a moment to read our updated TOS, Privacy Policy, and Forum Rules.

iPad mini et al

Replies to: iPad mini et al

• ghostfire13ghostfire13 Registered User Posts: 213 Junior Member
    I bought an iPad mini. I'd been wanting a 7"-ish tablet for a while and decided to wait when rumors of the mini came out. So far I love it.
  • overseasoverseas Registered User Posts: 2,925 Senior Member
    Daughter bought one last weekend and I will soon. Lightweight!
  • emeraldkity4emeraldkity4 Registered User Posts: 35,861 Senior Member
    So those with the mini are happy with the screen resolution?
  • BCEagle91BCEagle91 Registered User Posts: 22,762 Senior Member
    I have the Nexus 7 and it doesn't have super-high resolution but it's quite usable. I'm also fine with the iPad 1 and 2 which don't have the super-high resolution. The high resolution costs in battery life and they'd have to make it thicker and heavier on the mini.

BTW, I still haven't seen one of these yet.
    Rumors of an iPad Mini Retina coming out in the Spring from China. Also rumors of an iPhone 5S in Q1 or Q2 of 2013 - to deal with yield issues on iPhone 5 manufacturing.
  • LergnomLergnom Registered User Posts: 7,926 Senior Member
    I don't have one but I spent some time playing with one. If you have a retina display, you will be annoyed, at least for a while, because you're spoiled by the clarity. If you don't - and I don't - then it's perfectly fine.

As disclosure, I have an iPad2, use it for writing, am extremely far-sighted (so I wear reading glasses) and still find the screen more involving than a desktop. The mini may be a little better, but I'm not sure.

I expect a retina mini but I think it depends on the manufacturing scale of the newer chips - A6? I think much of what we saw with the iPad3 and then the iPad4 is the chip upgrade was necessary but not ready so they released the 3 rather than sit out of the market with an aging iPad2 and no 4G LTE. The newer insides are better fit with the retina displays demands.
    Samsung just raised their CPU prices 20% to Apple so I'd think that Apple would want to source more chips from their other suppliers - and it might take their other suppliers to ramp up their processes for Apple.
  • LergnomLergnom Registered User Posts: 7,926 Senior Member
    As you likely know, the story is that Apple is pulling its chip business from Samsung. Along with its screen business. That would suggest Samsung is trying to make its money while it can.

I may have mentioned this before, but I don't understand Samsung's strategy. They are primarily a chip and screen maker, at least more so than a phone maker, and Apple is one of the biggest customers. They could have licensed patents instead of going to war. That seems to be costing them a multi-billion dollar revenue stream. Weird.
    This could potentially throw a lot of people out of work in Austin which really doesn't need more chip people looking for work given AMD's situation.

Apple's making big margins in finished devices and Samsung wants that action.

At the moment, we seem to have saturtation in many devices. The tablet/phone/PC market is becoming like the car market - I had a discussion with a coworker on this today. Lots of players, lots of products, companies buying and selling parts from other companies and commoditization overall with some brands able to charge a premium.

Electronics devices are lasting longer and longer like cars resulting in less opportunity for resales and upgrades. At some point, you have enough stuff, right?
  • rhumbobrhumbob Registered User Posts: 472 Member
    I am new to the tablet world. I have a business where I need to be able to sign documents while away from the office. I have seen (and had someone in our office test) an app called SIGNificant. Works on Android as well as Apple. Just what the doctor ordered for me so I will be buying a 10 inch tablet.

After looking at tablets I am surprised that everyone accepts not being able to replace a battery. Apparently the soon to come out Google Nexus 10 can't access a USB (thumb) drive. The Toshiba Thrive had plenty of ports and a replaceable battery but it has been discontinued (still available refurbished but that seems like a dicey proposition). All the reviewers discuss how games and movies look on screen and overlook these real functional concerns.

Most of the business people I know use thumb drives to move data. Looks like the Toshiba Excite can do what I want. Has to be around 10 inches as that is all I am comfortable with. I guess also be able to play a movie, browse the internet. Reliable. Simple. What should I be looking at?
  • xiggixiggi Registered User Posts: 25,432 Senior Member
    The Mini resolution and brightness is acceptable but not wonderful. That was a tradeoff to keep it lighter and thinner. As points of reference, it does not come close to the latest iPads, and is a bit duller than the Kindle Fire and the Nook.

While it does not bother me that much, a number of online newspapers and magazines might be harder to read than expected. Or better stated, harder than one would hope for.
  • emeraldkity4emeraldkity4 Registered User Posts: 35,861 Senior Member
    I find that using the cloud is more convienent than a flash drive.I don't have to worry about the data getting corrupted or grabbing the wrong drive.
    I also haven't had any problems with having to take the device in to be serviced to change the battery.
    It's been a long time since you could replace the batteries on a MacBook, but when have had to take it in, they found a way to just give us one.
    I have replaced the battery on a classic video iPod, although it is a little involved.
    I have an ipad3, but was considering the mini so my D could use some iPhone/ipad apps that help her with school but with a larger screen than her iPhone.
    I really like the retina display, but it is a good point re:battery life.
    How do you plan to carry the tablet around? If you have briefcase or a backpack, those can work but carrying it in a jacket or small bag is harder. This is the reason 7 inch tablets are doing quite well.

Replaceable batteries are a tradeoff between form-factor and perceived quality and it seems that most devices are going to sealed batteries. You can check the ifixit site to see which devices are easier to do a replacement on.

Regarding the thumb drive - you can connect the Nexus to a PC and a thumb drive to the PC and move files via Windows Explorer. You just can't connect them directly to each other. If you want more PC-like functionality, you could look at the Microsoft Surface Pro when it comes out.
  • rhumbobrhumbob Registered User Posts: 472 Member
    I will carry it with me. I don't travel much but the thing will be valuable. I went to Best Buy to actually get a table in hand...I would be frustrated with the 7 inch.

I went to a legal / tax seminar a couple of weeks ago. When I arrived they handed out printouts of the power point presentations but also USB drives with 3 days worth of pdfs on them. Would have been convenient to load on a tablet. Also, my clients (I am a CPA) are probably a ways off of cloud computing...USB drives will be favored for the next couple of years.

Maybe these are exceptions. The seminar should have had the pdfs on their website beforehand. Anything coming from my office is not a problem.
  • fendergirlfendergirl Registered User Posts: 4,694 Senior Member
    rhumbob, i believe most of these devices have mini or micro usb ports... then you could just use a wire to convert it from mini or micro to regular USB and use your thumb drive... or your thumb driver reader to an SD card, like I have.
This discussion has been closed.