Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
Please take a moment to read our updated TOS, Privacy Policy, and Forum Rules.

iPad mini et al

Replies to: iPad mini et al

• BCEagle91BCEagle91 Registered User Posts: 22,762 Senior Member
    You'd need to have software on the tablet side that could read the thumb drive and the tablet would also have to be able to provide power to the device. I don't know if power supply on the tablet is one-way only to the tablet from a power adapter or cable to a computer.
  • fendergirlfendergirl Registered User Posts: 4,694 Senior Member
    Only one way to find out. When i get my nexus 7 for christmas I'm going to try with my thumb drive.
    You'll need a female to female cable to try it out. I have a lot of cables but not one of these.
    I found the information to do this. You need a connector that costs from $5 - $10. Then you need to root your device to install a device driver and add an app to be able to browse the drive.

rooting a device is not for the timid.
  • toblintoblin Registered User Posts: 1,862 Senior Member
    As chance would have it, I ordered an iPad 4 today. We have a Kindle Fire that my wife loves but is too small for my fat fingers and poor eyes. Comparing the 8.9 Kindle vs. the 9.7 iPad, the iPad won out for its lager screen size (aspect ratio is important) and the fact the the big Kindle has yet to be released or reviewed. And I saved myself 7% by buying from a reputable online dealer vs. Apple Store. Free shipping, same price, no sales tax.
    Google just announced an 11 inch notebook for $200. It's a Chromebook with a 320 GB HDD, 3 USB ports, ethernet, Wireless, HDMI, VGA, full keyboard and 3.5 hours of battery life. It runs an Intel Celeron processor so you can run Windows on it if you prefer.
  • xiggixiggi Registered User Posts: 25,432 Senior Member
    Running Windows on a Chromebook sounds like wearing ski boots in Cancun. Uncomfortable it's even working.

The Acer C7 is a strange bird. A beast built for the clouds but with a 320 HD and a sub four hour battery. At 200 dollars MSRP, you must wonder how much Intel gets for the Celeron 847 chip.
    I read an article on Barrons that Intel is discounting i3s and i5s and that AMD is doing fire-sale stuff with their processors. Q4 is not looking good for PCs. The Celeron 847 launched in 2011 Q2 with a tray price of $134. They run at 1.1 Ghz and they look like ULV variants. Desktop Celerons boxed run $49 to $60 at Newegg. My guess is that Intel is getting around $30 for these things - probably a lot less than they'd like given the die size (most likely quite a bit bigger than Atoms). I'd figure about $40 for the disk, $20 for the memory, $20 for the motherboard. You have to do the screen, case, power supply, documentation, warranty, cloud space and still squeeze that into $200.
    The specs on the hardware should make it find for running Windows. This is essentially a netbook with much better hardware specs at the same price.
  • LergnomLergnom Registered User Posts: 7,926 Senior Member
    Why would anyone want a laptop that gets 3.5 hours - claimed so actual may be less - when that laptop is basically for surfing the web and email? You can get a tablet that lasts at least a day.

I also wonder about the flip over laptops. The very last thing I want is to have a 3.5 lb tablet, which is what one I saw advertised on TV weighs. I don't see a big market for that.
    > Why would anyone want a laptop that gets 3.5 hours - claimed so actual may be
    > less - when that laptop is basically for surfing the web and email?

My laptop gets about 2.25 hours on a charge. It's plugged in most of the time.

There are lots of different usage models for laptops.

> You can get a tablet that lasts at least a day.

For $200?
    I'd guess that the Celeron runs rings around the ARM processors too. ARM processors are more in the Atom x86 class. The Celeron processor has big cache, PCIe and a lot of other stuff on board. The Celeron tray price in 2011 was $134. Compare that to about $30 for your typical ARM processor. Google must have struck quite a deal with Intel to be able to build a device for $200.
  • SnowflakeVTSnowflakeVT Registered User Posts: 2,475 Senior Member
    Have my new iPad 4 up and running. It is lovely ... and I'm still very happy w/ Apple for letting me swap my "new iPad," which is now referred to as iPad 3, for this new faster iPad 4 that has lightning connectors that match my iPhone5.

I thought I had a power or battery problem, but once I set my email to fetch instead of push, my poor little iPad (and iPhone5) stopped working so hard. Now my battery lasts a long time (days?).

I don't need the mini because I have the iPhone5, and I didn't get the 3G/4G/LTE iPad models as my iPhone5 can double as a hotspot if I need a wireless signal when I'm in the passenger seat of a car or a similar place that doesn't have wireless.

p.s. Thanks, Apple, for swapping.
    I just switched to fetch - push is nicer because you get it instantly and battery life isn't a huge issue (I have two charging cables, one at home and one in the office). I might get a third for the car or an external power pack.

Congrats on the new toys!
  • LergnomLergnom Registered User Posts: 7,926 Senior Member
    BC, the Kindle and Nexus start at $199. The Chromebook is, to my eyes, a crippled form of laptop that would at least be comparable to the basic tablets.

BTW, I'm interested in seeing how much market there is for the convertibles. The Dell XPS 12 weighs 3.35 lbs. That's not bad for a laptop but it's terrible for a tablet.
This discussion has been closed.