right arrow
Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
We have changed the way we log in on College Confidential. Read more here.

Calling all china mavens

Replies to: Calling all china mavens

• PizzagirlPizzagirl 40174 replies320 threads Senior Member
    From losing weight, I recently jettisoned 80% of my clothing, and only want to invest in first quality. I agree it's more "zen" and minimalist to have fewer but better.
    · Reply · Share
  • alhalh 8500 replies47 threads Senior Member
    I've been following some minimalist/10 item clothing blogs for a while and feel better dressed with less in my closet. At this point there is very little in my closet. It turned out I really only needed a 5 piece summer wardrobe. plus shoes. and raincoat. If I go to the beach, there's a 3 piece "beach wardrobe" I am still under 10 items.
    :)

adding: I've been thinking of starting a handbag thread :eek: After spending so much time thinking about what our bags "mean" I find myself practically paralyzed in the face of really needing a new bag. You interested?
    · Reply · Share
  • bevhillsbevhills 1393 replies44 threads Senior Member
    I am not a hoarder. I do, however feel that it is against God and country"s law not to fill one's closets. Mr. Ellebud believes that we should have purchased a different home because of the fill the closet thing. Although this is an old (for Los Angeles) home and built at a time when people didn't have a lot of stuff....we have 4 large walk in closets for our bedroom. Mr. Ellebud has one closet and three drawers in the dressing room.

As for china, crystal (I didn't get expensive crystal).....well, I still can find space for one or two sets.........

alh: yes. We have a coop in my home for handbags. I buy them...they use them. Or they take them. My favorites? Yes........I have an eye out for a Nancy Gonzales that is killer (in the dark blue)...and my youngest wants a provenza schuler (however you spell it)....
    · Reply · Share
    I would, but we all saw what happened when I asked about watches, which BTW fell under the "one classic watch which will serve multiple purposes forever" ... LOL.
    · Reply · Share
    ellebud: Well obviously you need more clothes and closet space (and bags) if you are outfitting daughters and a daughter-in-law. :)

Love Nancy Gonzales.

edited:
    PG is right. can only end badly. :(
    too bad, maybe I can find someone in real life who wants to play how to pick a handbag
    · Reply · Share
    I'll play with you, alh!
    · Reply · Share
    alh: I''m up for the thread of how to choose a purse!!!....How to stretch between generations.....and how to get a beloved purse back from the youngest.
    · Reply · Share
    The thing about sharing clothes: One wears a 0, and the other a 6. I don't.....They have shared clothes for years. (youngest does the best here)....and shoes....

And for clothes (save for an on trend shirt) I wear Eileen Fisher and St. John...they wouldn't be caught dead in this stuff.
    · Reply · Share
    Love your look, ellebud. Especially imagining the navy Gonzales bag with some of the midnight St John suits I've seen.

Either you or PG start the purse thread. LOL
    I wrote a post earlier I deleted. Basically I really am paralyzed here. Recently I went into a local boutique and immediately noticed some breathtaking bags. It seemed unbelievable to me that particular shop had those particular bags. The owner hurried over to explain to me they were "made in the same factory" and "just the same" just unmarked. In fact, they had no label or identifying marks whatsoever. They seemed to be excellent quality. They were a fraction of the original but more than I am used to seeing counterfeit bags priced. I have been debating whether they are counterfeit or merely knockoffs. I have been debating how I feel about counterfeit and knockoff. I have been wondering if there is a bag anywhere that isn't a kind of a knockoff of some other bag. I have been wondering how much a quality bag should cost - regardless of label. I am wondering what I want my bag to say. I am wondering if it is possible to find a bag that says nothing whatsoever.

years ago, before bags became such a big deal, this just wasn't so complicated.

I think Nancy Gonzales is a good choice. I may start saving up :)
    · Reply · Share
    Fake purses: "They are seconds." They ALL have their purses made in china. No. I've got to say that my husband (years ago) represented a manufacturer who was loosing millions every year because of counterfeit/fake/seconds. If you are coming back from a trip sporting a fake, they can be taken away by customs.

Purses here have always been a big deal. I was 15 and saved up for a Gucci satchel. I gave it to charity 15 years later. WHAT WAS I THINKING?!

No matter what the label the leather should be comfortable. I always put a large plastic bag in a purse if it "may" rain. I don't go to purse parties. After the first one....it was fun...but they were fakes.
    · Reply · Share
    Does the manufactured in China bother you? for firsts or seconds?

When I was 15, I worked part-time in the handbag department of the best local department store. It was the deep south. There were no designer bags. There were some pretty expensive bags. The first logo bag I can remember was when my aunts started bringing them back from duty free shops when they travelled. One aunt acquired a brown/logoed louis vuitton sometime in the 70s and I'm pretty sure she was still carrying it every day when she died last year at 103. It held up pretty well. And became her signature look - for better or worse.
    · Reply · Share
  • AgentninetynineAgentninetynine 1539 replies14 threads Senior Member
    Nice collection, Consolation! I have the Wedgwood Runnymede and love it. I am both sad and relieved the Macy's sale is over as I would've been tempted. I adore the Eugenie pattern you posted. So much china, so little room.

I love handbags, too, but have been recently only carrying one Coach and a Kate Spade, depending on the season. Although I did buy a beautiful pumpkin colored handbag in Italy. Can't wait for fall.
    · Reply · Share
  • BunsenBurnerBunsenBurner 39372 replies470 threads Senior Member
    I'm Ok with goods made in China if they say so on the label and don't infringe anyone's IP. What bothers me about "made in China" is when a "made in Italy" label gets attached to a knockoff bag and/or it is being sold as the real deal. I'm with ellebud on this one. Chanel does not make their purses in China. Nope. Neither does Gucci. I once inadvertently bought a fake Gucci purse from Bluefly. When it arrived, it looked as the real deal, but it reeked like chemical waste. I went to the local stores that sold Guccis and studied the insides of the real bags, then searched the web... Surely enough, I found TPF, a forum for purse lovers, where there were a couple of threads about the Bluefly's fake bag fiasco.

Back to our discussion of the beautiful dishes... :)
    · Reply · Share
    alh: What bothers me about handbags that are produced in China (and not France or Rome etc. ) is that the Chinese manufacturers are stealing intellectual property. On the other hand we have family who manufacture doors and windows etc. in China which are the design and the specs of their clients.

Dishes: The thing about dishes (and decor) in general is that they show life as it is, or how much you wish that it were. They signal a good time....and laughter and sharing a space in life together.
    · Reply · Share
  • Deborah TDeborah T 4295 replies19 threads Senior Member
    I started y'all a purse thread. Do not look to me to maintain it as I may not remember to so much as click on it, but it's there now! :)
    · Reply · Share
  • zeebamomzeebamom 1391 replies3 threads Senior Member
    There was a beautiful Haviland Limoges set I saw in a goodwill "boutique" yesterday. $79. I am kicking myself for not buying it, but as my husband says, we have a lot of beautiful things that never see the light of day and I really don't need any more. Sigh.
    · Reply · Share
  • JoblueJoblue 1313 replies23 threads Senior Member
    God, I love china. When living in the UK I began collecting all sorts of antique "flow blue" china, in many different shapes and patterns from country antique fairs and village antique shops. I have enough of the stuff to set some great tables, mixing and matching all the patterns, many of which coordinate really nicely with each other. Then I discovered Stoke-on-Trent (where most English pottery is made) and got in serious trouble. The Wedgewood factory and shops provided my first full set (since my wedding) and Royal Grafton (which wasn't sold in the US) convinced me to buy another set of bone china in the Dynasty pattern royal grafton dynasty in Grafton/Royal Grafton | eBay

I fell out of love with my Royal Doulton wedding china (Sherbrooke, discontinued of course)Replacements, Ltd. Search: doulton sherbrooke for about 20 years but happily, I love it again. Good thing since I seem to have 16 place settings. I seem to have been preparing for a life I didn't end up having but I still love all my china and use it whenever I can.
    · Reply · Share
  • UCDAlum82UCDAlum82 1055 replies29 threads Senior Member
    Help china folks!

Years ago I purchase 8 gold rimmed glass dinner plates and 8 gold rimmed glass bread plates from Annie Glass in the Santa Cruz Mountains. Now the pattern is known as antique roman. http://www.annieglass.com/store/index.php?cPath=28&opt=2

I'm looking for a pattern for salad and soup bowls that would coordinate with these plates, maybe a bone china with a thick rim of gold or glass dishes in a bright color. Any suggestions for patterns or manufacturers?
    · Reply · Share
  • ConsolationConsolation 22891 replies184 threads Senior Member
    Look at Haviland. They have a lot of patterns with a thick gold band.
    · Reply · Share
    So...here is my rationale about having so many sets of china. I have three children. Now I will put this out as a given: The odds that my children will want my china...not so much. BUT grandchildren (who will be in rebellion against their parents' style) who may number six plus will like my stuff. And I fully believe that all the sets will be grabbed up. And if I have more than six grandchildren...I'm still good.
    · Reply · Share
This discussion has been closed.

Recent Activity