right arrow
Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04

bath remodel

VaBluebirdVaBluebird 3245 replies223 postsRegistered User Senior Member
edited January 2014 in Parent Cafe
Lordy mercy, we just got back from an outing doing our initial research into getting our upstairs hallway bathroom redone. Mind you we are talking a plain bathroom........tub, sink, toilet. Typical size etc.
:::::::gulp::::::::::$16K to $20K so far. There is NO way we want to spend that much for a basically unimportant bath. Our master bath will require major renovation as we want to move walls and change things around. I know we'll spend a small fortune there but not on this one!! Lots more "looking into" to do. We have two other baths that I can only hope for that "retro" will come back before we ever sell.
What's it like for this in your neck of the woods?
edited January 2014
64 replies
Post edited by VaBluebird on
· Reply · Share

Replies to: bath remodel

• emilybeeemilybee 13142 replies35 postsRegistered User Senior Member
    I was quoted $14K about 5 years ago without putting in a new tub - but now I have decided to put in a new tub and since it's been so long since I got that quote, I am sure it'll be at least $20K-$25K. Have to wait until we're done with college tuition to do anything.
    · Reply · Share
  • thumper1thumper1 73836 replies3220 postsRegistered User Senior Member
    Wow. We are getting a new floor, new toilet, new sink and vanity, and painting the walls. Under $5000 for the works.
    · Reply · Share
  • musicmommusicmom 2430 replies88 postsRegistered User Senior Member
    Yikes.
    Last total gut bath remodel we did was 25 years ago.
    I remember clearly it was $6000 which was afortune to us at the time.

Kinda like $20000 now?
    · Reply · Share
  • calmomcalmom 20489 replies166 postsRegistered User Senior Member
    I've been going through the same thing (west coast) -- and I have been having a very rough time of it. First of all, it's close to impossible to get a contractor to return a phone call, show up to check out the premises, and/or give a straight answer to questions like, "when can you start?" After literally more than a year of this, I've given up on the comparative bid part and going with the bird in hand approach. Angie's list was a bust, but I managed to find a guy who is local & good reviews on Yelp. (Of course that has to be taken with a grain of salt).

Unlike you, I don't have a choice -- this is a teensy bathroom off of the "master" (meaning largest of 3 small) bedroom. shower leaks, tile is cracked, toilet is useless, and there is mold all over the walls and ceiling. The only thing in the room that is even theoretically salvageable is the tile floor.

I figure $16K (your lowest quote) is probably what it will cost me when it is done.

The one piece of advice I can offer is that you should supply (pay for) fixtures, and shop online. Amazon is amazing-- I'm definitely reaping the benefits of that Amazon prime subscription - but it's worth running a check of the model number of whatever you want because sometimes there are even better deals around. I'll probably get the toilet & sink from Home Depot -- too many reviewers on Amazon report items being cracked or chipped in shipment -- but I figure I'll end up saving several hundred dollars or so by doing my own shopping on the fungible stuff.

You're lucky you have four bathrooms in your house! I've got two, and I'll be without a shower for the duration of the job. (The other bath has a tub but no shower -- it would make more sense to upgrade that one first, but it doesn't have the problems that bathroom #1 has).
    · Reply · Share
  • AllThisIsNewToMeAllThisIsNewToMe 2037 replies254 postsRegistered User Senior Member
    Doing our master soon. $10k for granite countertops, travertine on floor & new shower. We buy the tub ourselves and keeping the toilet.
    · Reply · Share
  • WayOutWestMomWayOutWestMom 10118 replies200 postsRegistered User Senior Member
    My master bath was gutted 2 weeks ago. Everything torn out right down to the concrete subfloor and the wall studs. Everything is being replaced: cabinets, flooring, sinks, lighting, counters, spa tub, shower, tile wainscoting, doors.

Old shower had leaked ever since the house was built in the 80s--and once everything was out--revealed termites behind the shower and through the wall into the master closet. So I had to have a full house termite treatment before anything else could be done. Right now the contractor is jackhammering up the concrete subfloor to move drains and water lines.

I don't even want to think about how much this is costing....
    · Reply · Share
  • artloversplusartloversplus 8515 replies247 postsRegistered User Senior Member
    Better off to get a labor quote only, you buy everything else down to the screws and nails. It is easier to compare bids.

I can have a bathroom 8x8 done for less than $2000 labor only. That includes strip down to the the studs and sub-floors. Reinstall everything including fixtures and vanities.
    · Reply · Share
  • nj2011momnj2011mom 2792 replies93 postsRegistered User Senior Member
    I prefer to have contractors buy all the plumbing fixtures, as that way they need to stand behind them. You can give them the model number, but have they buy them. We learned the hard way when a basic toilet we bought at HD failed a month after installation & the plumber would not warrant it.
    · Reply · Share
  • colorado_momcolorado_mom 8894 replies78 postsRegistered User Senior Member
    It may be more efficient wait until you do the master bath and do as a combo when plumbers etc are there for 2 jobs. (That's our thought. But I'll admit it probably won't happen. Tis more likely we'll ignore all 3 baths forever.)
    · Reply · Share
  • wis75wis75 13932 replies62 postsRegistered User Senior Member
    Renovated the whole house this past year, now renovating bits of landscaping outside front and back of house. Years ago when we built we chose things and the plumber, electrician et al did all of the buying (no internet or even Home Depot or Lowes in town there/then). This time we had to buy most of the goods ourselves (the contractor told us how many drywall pieces et al). Shop around and catch best prices. There can be a huge difference- even when you buy from the same big box store online. Had to do the work of finding and buying things but saved a lot instead of plumber's pricing.

We ended up with the local good Home Depot contractor with Kraftmaid cabinetry, liked deeper kitchen drawers. Through our contract with Home Depot we were able to put anything bought through them on a tax free account. Likewise no physical presence for Amazon so saved tax there. Also bought stuff through Lowes. Consider truck/delivery charges- to the curb versus to your house/garage- crazy how things work. For tile we made sure we had it all delivered at once- separate trips would generate more charges (bought tile from a local place). Sometimes the online Home Depot price was cheaper than directly through the store- our contact there met the prices (they wanted local credit for sales).

One of the workmen told us how another project was spending $250,000 on the bathroom alone. Yikes! We went with Delta fixtures (like the separate temp/vol controls), Kohler toilets, Kraftmaid cabinets, Corian integrated sinks with counters in baths, Kohler towel bars, local tile- clean lines and good quality but nothing ultra fancy. I can see how we could have spent less or doubled our material costs.

Don't know totals for any given bathroom since we also did the kitchen, all floors and painting. Take time to figure out which products you want and compare costs with different styles and brands. You may have expensive tastes or quality preferences. Labor can be the huge expense. We didn't do any major remodeling as the basic layouts were good. We saved mirrors, one tub, a pedestal sink and medicine cabinets. Used stock cabinet sizes instead of custom. Found out Florida no longer allows wallpaper in baths- didn't want it anyhow (had existing removed and walls textured). Compromised in hall bath by keeping the soft gray porcelain tub and chrome drain with cold gray towel bar and soap dish integrated into the soft gray tile. Got rid of the PINK tub et al in the master, kept recessed ceiling lights in both baths.

When a contractor is in charge you are not likely paying for every minute. They give the project quotes and if it takes longer or more trips have to be made you don't get new charges. However doing more at once can save you money. We got quantity discounts on counters and cabinetry because of doing baths and kitchens on one order.

It was frustrating figuring out cabinet costs- they couldn't just stick in the new numbers for a different height or style all at once, they had to put in each piece's new facts individually (that kitchen designer at Home Depot wasn't happy about that, nor was I sitting there waiting to find out how much more x style or 3 extra inches would cost). We made decisions based on costs as well as preferences. Travertine??? Way too expensive for our tastes (and porous?).

Our 1987 house was in good shape- no mold or termite issues (something not even considered in the frozen tundra). A neighbor had flooding that ruined floors from a toilet water hose- we made sure we replaced them with the better quality- be sure your plumber does so (about $5 part). So glad to be done. We moved in knowing we would redo things. Best to get it over with at once. Next owner can deal with anything we didn't. A few more bushes to pull and I can plant/garden!
    · Reply · Share
  • TyberiusTyberius 173 replies10 postsRegistered User Junior Member
    We were quoted $35K for a small bathroom remodel. Included gutting it down to the studs and a total redo. Was going to be just a single sink/vanity (not enough room for a double), toilet and combined bathtub/shower. The even smaller bathroom with only a shower was going to cost more. Needless to say we didn't do it. Our neighbor is a contractor so we will probably have him do it. Still expect it to be in the 20K plus range for each bathroom. Remodeling is very expensive in our area and contractors are very busy. It is hard to get anyone to even quote your job.
    · Reply · Share
  • bookwormbookworm 8814 replies72 postsRegistered User Senior Member
    Tiberius, think carefully about using your neighbor as GC. I've seen 2 friendships go sour.

My kitchen being demolished next Monday. Wis, could you stay in FL house with all the renovations you did?
    · Reply · Share
  • thumper1thumper1 73836 replies3220 postsRegistered User Senior Member
    When we built this house, we got one of the more expensive tub/shower things. Thank goodness that is not getting replaced.

Like others have suggested...we will buy the items, and really the only thing not being done by us...floors and plumbing. We will do the rest.
    · Reply · Share
  • fireflyscoutfireflyscout 5294 replies169 postsRegistered User Senior Member
    Just redid several areas of my house, including the secondary full bathroom. We paid $8150 for that bathroom for: remove floor, lay new tile floor, replace counter from laminate to soapstone (love it!), frame out large mirror above sinks, replace sinks and fixtures, replace toilet and fixtures, replace tub and fixtures, tile around tub. The quote does not include the cost of the toilet, sinks, tub and fixtures. It does include countertop and tile. I did not change out cabinetry - what I have is fine. I also decided to save a bit of money and paint the walls and cabinetry myself.

I found my contractor on Angie's list and very carefully checked the references. Fortunately, he had worked on a neighbor's house that is the same floor plan as mine.
    · Reply · Share
  • coralbrookcoralbrook 7792 replies24 postsRegistered User Senior Member
    I have some recommendations to get coupons for Lowe's. PM me if you are interested.
    · Reply · Share
    Last year we got a quote for two of our bathrooms - it was MUCH higher than expected, so we deferred. .

smallish guest bath - $18K
    - new floor (quote was with radiant heat)
    - new shower w/ nice tile .... expanded size, but same room footprint
    - new sink/vanity with marble top, high end with nice tile trim
    - new toilet with custom cabinet above it
    - keep existing mirror and light fixture... maybe added new recessed lighting

largish master bath - $28K
    - new floor (quote was with radiant heat)
    - new shower w/ nice tile, same size
    - new double sink/vanity with granite top, new vanity lights
    - new fancy toilet
    - keep existing whirlpool tub
    · Reply · Share
  • artloversplusartloversplus 8515 replies247 postsRegistered User Senior Member
    - new toilet with custom cabinet above it

not sure if that is a good idea. normally, the lowest allowable ceiling height is 7', if the cabinet makes the head room above the toilet lower than 7', you may not pass the inspection. OTOH, if the cabinet is higher than 7' (I have a 9' ceiling) then the usefulness of the cabinet is in question.
    · Reply · Share
  • mathmommathmom 32137 replies158 postsRegistered User Senior Member
    Depends on the code. The ICC says 6'-8" over the fixture and the required clearance area in front of the fixture. I think many building inspectors would allow a lower cabinet over the tank, but I'd check with them first since that's not the way they've worded the requirement.
    · Reply · Share
  • PAVenturerPAVenturer 482 replies5 postsRegistered User Member
    I'm sure glad I do these things myself.
    · Reply · Share
    Sorry for the confusion. The cabinet was going to be high on the wall, not very deep. There would have been no problem with headroom. That's a good suggestion to check the local code.
    · Reply · Share
This discussion has been closed.

Recent Activity