right arrow
Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
We've updated the Topics page of our website to better organize and share our expert content. Read more about it here.

The "Bag A Week" Club

Replies to: The "Bag A Week" Club

• maya54maya54 2124 replies88 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    I think I can pinpoint one reason why I’ve been successful at cleaning out ALL my kids stuff and was always successful at preventing accumulations: You know how some people have rules like “My house my rules “ like in MY house you can’t stay the night with an unmarried boyfriend/ girlfriend “ I have no problem with that at all. BUT in my house you can’t keep your stuff. Take it or it’s gone

And when you lived here I decided, not you, what stays and what goes. I’ll consider your feelings and thoughts but the choice is ultimately mine not yours.

Of course this does not work with spouses. Lol. Though what did work was a two year rule. If you haven’t touched it in two years you have to justify why it should stay.
    · Reply · Share
  • VeryHappyVeryHappy 18484 replies324 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    I like that -- "If you haven't touched it in two years you have to justify why it should stay."
    · Reply · Share
  • thumper1thumper1 74359 replies3254 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    I’m catching up! I took five bags to the charity thrift store on Monday plus a quilt I wasn’t using.

Working on the coat closet next!
    · Reply · Share
  • BunsenBurnerBunsenBurner 38752 replies467 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
  • swimcatsmomswimcatsmom 15837 replies346 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    I'm back!!!

Tax season is over so I'm trying to get back in the groove. I did not have the energy at all during tax season - my energy levels are still not where they were before foot surgery back in August and I found it really hard to do the long hours this year.

Serendipitously, my H has water board training in the city for 2 days. I'm taking a couple of days off and thought of going with him and spending a couple of nights in a hotel but a). couldn't get a good deal and b). 2 days on my own with no one bothering me just sounded lovely.

Didn't do a lot today (I worked 215 hours April 1 through 15 and am exhausted - I'm way to old for this) - slept till noon. My house is a pit. Vacuumed a little. Did work on cleaning the fridge out - got a good bit done. Threw away a lot of really old stuff out including some soggy veggies and some green stuff that should not be green! Washed most of the drawers and shelves, chucked stuff, and reorganized stuff. (I had begged my H to do this because every time I opened the fridge door it stank and he's at home all day doing nothing while I'm working 7 days a week and just don't have the energy - but no go). It looks and SMELLS so much better. And I can find stuff. Filled a trash bag - it's not really what I would usually consider bag a day stuff but it was a bag so I'm counting it.

The bad news us he called to see if I need anything from Sam's ☹️. I told him not to buy more than would fit in the fridge and he says he's buying 2 x 5 lb bags of pepperoni. Sigh.

Hoping to finish up the fridge today but my eyelids are drooping as I type so I think I'll nap first. Maybe later.

Hoping more energy and achievement tomorrow.
    · Reply · Share
    my H has water board training

Wha . . . . ?!
    · Reply · Share
    edited April 16
    Lol. He's on our rural water board and had to go for training.

My fridge looks awesome. Clean, organized, smells good, all old food in the trash - I can find stuff!! And I almost have a surface in the kitchen! A small one but it's ba surface!

Enjoying it till H gets home with his Sam's ☹️ haul.
    edited April 16
    · Reply · Share
    Ohhhhhhhhh . . . I thought he was being trained to torture people.

Can you return items to Sam's? Your H might not even notice.
    · Reply · Share
  • kiddiekiddie 3377 replies215 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    I am taking bag a week to my driveway. My 15 year old "extra car" (technically it was my daughters but she hasn't lived with us in 7 years and lives in a city so she never needed the car) has a check engine light and I am not even going to spend a penny figuring out why. It is getting sold. I am trying one of those you call them and they come and take the car away and leave you with a check places. I just got my car insurance bill and it will save me over $600 a year (not including the repair costs which have been high the past few years.) It will feel liberating not having the car in the driveway (the others fit in the garage) and having to shovel around it etc.
    · Reply · Share
  • collage1collage1 1731 replies71 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    Wow, @swimcatsmom, you sound amazing. I hope you're fast asleep now and that you're able to get rid of a bunch of things tomorrow before your dh returns! That was some work schedule you have had...I hope you either are paid by the hour, paid overtime or reap some of the profits after working so many hours in just 15 days.

And,@kiddie, congrats on the decision to get rid of the old car.
    · Reply · Share
  • 1214mom1214mom 4508 replies179 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    I signed a contract for carpet in my master bedroom. That means I need to get some stuff out of there, so they can lay the carpet. I’m hoping a fair amount finds it’s way into bags, instead of back into the room.
    · Reply · Share
  • HouseChatteHouseChatte 651 replies1 threadsRegistered User Member
    @kiddie do you mind sharing who you end up using to take the car? We have a dinosaur in our driveway, and I'd dearly love to have a not-sketchy option that doesn't take a lot of headspace to find.
    · Reply · Share
  • kiddiekiddie 3377 replies215 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    My plan is to go with https://autolendersgo.com/ I haven't set up the appointment yet, but I will relay back how it goes. Years ago we did a charity donation to get rid of an old car, however, the tax laws have changed making that option not cost effective.
    · Reply · Share
    DH leaves little piles of things around the house and then never notices them again. There's currently a pile in the corner of my dresser, which is right next to his armoire. The other day I removed the most bottom thing in the pile -- it was a NYT Magazine section from August 2017. I tossed it, and he hasn't noticed yet. [Nor will he, ever.] I"m going to take two other large things from the pile [an old-timey razor he bought for fun and a doggy shock collar we inherited from our son] and put them in a drawer. He'll notice, get upset, and then be reassured that they're not gone.
    · Reply · Share
  • FallGirlFallGirl 8030 replies27 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    I'm way behind on the posts here. But I took two bags of clothing to the church last weekend.
    · Reply · Share
    edited April 17
    I filled bags 5 kitchen sized white bags from the kitchen this morning. Being a bit random about it but also ruthless because my mood is not good today after H's negative reaction to my hard work when he got home from his rural water board training (as usual and should have expected it, and yet.. ).

I started with the large island between the kitchen and dining area. It was about a foot deep in "stuff". Tossed a lot but got a ways to go. Got sidetracked by a couple of cabinets we never open because they are stuffed full of stuff we don't use. Probably filled 2 bags worth of old plastic souvenir cups, mismatched plastic jugs and lids etc (he'll never notice cause he never opens a cupboard to put anything away.

Took the bags to the trash and got sidetracked again and started tackling the garage. Filled one more white sack which went to the bin and 3 large black sacks that I'm hoping there is space in the dumpster at work for.

Spent about an hour in the heat picking up God knows how many beer cans that he just throws in the floor instead of putting them in a bag to take to recycling. Started crushing them but my bad foot started hurting so I sat on a little camper chair and just put them in bags. 6 bags which I'm telling him either go to recycling this week or go in the bin. I honestly feel like telling him next time I see a beer can on the floor I'm out if here for good.

I stink from a combo of beer leaking from the cans and one of the bags of 🐈 litter he left in there breaking on me.

Sitting drinking a ginger beer and resting for a while. Am going to try finishing clearing the island and maybe fill another black sack from the garage before he gets back (no doubt with a haul of free crap from his training 😭).

edited April 17
    · Reply · Share
  • oregon101oregon101 5500 replies136 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    @swincatsmom, I think you are doing an amazing job.
    After your H has this meltdown go for those cabinets that he doesn't open.
    · Reply · Share
    edited April 17
    @swimcatsmom, we're right behind you. I wish we could help with the physical aspects of this! Actually, I hope we're helping with the emotional aspects of this.

Can you hire someone to help you? The heck with whether your H approves or not.

Also: Finish the island, and don't worry about anything else tonight. You'll feel fantastic once the island is clear!!
    edited April 17
    · Reply · Share