right arrow
Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04

The "Bag A Week" Club

Replies to: The "Bag A Week" Club

• HouseChatteHouseChatte 561 replies1 postsRegistered User Member
    @VeryHappy oh how we tried to donate them. I've been on phone, emailing, and going places in person. Genealogical societies, two kinds of libraries, historical society . . . nothing. :(
    · Reply · Share
  • VeryHappyVeryHappy 18409 replies324 postsRegistered User Senior Member
    @HouseChatte: Try selling them on eBay??
    · Reply · Share
  • maya54maya54 2076 replies87 postsRegistered User Senior Member
    Our Goodwill has a drop off area. No one inspects the stuff!
    · Reply · Share
    Ours too. They have no idea what's in there until I'm a mile down the road!
    · Reply · Share
  • HouseChatteHouseChatte 561 replies1 postsRegistered User Member
    I had to take them for recycling. There were just too many of them, the only place for them in the house was in the dining area and in our entry. I was tempted to do a drop and run at Goodwill, but they told me they couldn't take them when I asked, and almost all the magazines had MIL's address label on them. We're still swamped with books, papers, and personal effects from MIL and I just can't midwife the disposition of everything beyond a few good-faith attempts. It's so crushing being surrounded by all the things she decided to amass and keep.
    · Reply · Share
  • frazzled1frazzled1 5542 replies244 postsRegistered User Senior Member
    edited May 29
    @HiToWaMom, is there a church or agency in your area that works directly with immigrant families? They might be able to facilitate your donation.

Husbands and magazines - oh, the humanity. My husband thinks he has every issue of Consumer Reports and Golf Magazine published in the past 40 years. I’ve thinned them out considerably, but there are still so many. Really - who cares what dishwasher CR recommended in 1981?
    edited May 29
    · Reply · Share
  • threebeansthreebeans 693 replies33 postsRegistered User Member
    @HouseChatte I am breathing easier just picturing how much you're getting rid of - well done!
    · Reply · Share
  • 1214mom1214mom 4472 replies177 postsRegistered User Senior Member
    Looking for an update from @swimcatsmom. Wasn’t she getting a dumpster delivered?
    · Reply · Share
  • oregon101oregon101 5455 replies135 postsRegistered User Senior Member
    Also waiting for her report
    · Reply · Share
  • collage1collage1 1697 replies70 postsRegistered User Senior Member
    ^^ sounds like a great start, @yauponredux! Good luck!
    · Reply · Share
    One step at a time is all you can do!! It sounds like you've made a great start.
    · Reply · Share
  • dentmom4dentmom4 1292 replies4 postsRegistered User Senior Member
    I would so like a dumpster delivered.........but my marriage would end.
    · Reply · Share
  • psychmommapsychmomma 2980 replies44 postsRegistered User Senior Member
    @yauponredux - you’re off to a terrific start! I love to make lists and small daily goals. It feels so satisfying to make progress, even small amounts.Welcome and happy decluttering.
    · Reply · Share
  • 2VU06092VU0609 3502 replies59 postsRegistered User Senior Member
    I weeded through the drawers in my bedroom earlier in the week and tossed some stuff, while setting other things aside for donation. I need to tackle my closet before I take the donations. However, this afternoon the spirit moved me to tackle books (and I have many) since I will be near the library when I got for Wednesday's hair appointment. I pulled out about a sixth of my books to donate to the library for their semi-annual book sale. I'm sure I could shed more books and I will before I retire and move in about 2 years, but progress!
    · Reply · Share
  • 1214mom1214mom 4472 replies177 postsRegistered User Senior Member
    I didn’t even get an entire bag, but I cleaned my side of the closet, and put many clothes I won’t wear until fall in a big bin. I am culling, slowly but surely. I’ve found it makes me feel better to try and find some things a new home before donating. My step daughter is much shorter than I am, so shirts that are short on me fit her well, for example.
    · Reply · Share
  • yauponreduxyauponredux 717 replies25 postsRegistered User Member
    @2VU0609 way to make the most of the spirit having moved you! I know that there are many occasions when I am not doing the most urgent thing, but sometimes doing ANYTHING at all is a victory!
    · Reply · Share
  • gosmomgosmom 1898 replies55 postsRegistered User Senior Member
    @swimcatsmom, that's Fantastic!
    · Reply · Share