right arrow
Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04

The "Bag A Week" Club

Replies to: The "Bag A Week" Club

• HouseChatteHouseChatte 589 replies1 postsRegistered User Member
    @swimcatsmom Good for you!!!
    · Reply · Share
  • BunsenBurnerBunsenBurner 38592 replies465 postsRegistered User Senior Member
    👏, @swimcatsmom !!!!
    · Reply · Share
  • psychmommapsychmomma 2993 replies45 postsRegistered User Senior Member
    I am thrilled for your progress, @swimcatsmom!!! Really happy for you.
    · Reply · Share
  • VeryHappyVeryHappy 18421 replies324 postsRegistered User Senior Member
    I"m delighted to hear all this!! @swimcatsmom, you've been dying to do this for a long time now, and it's fantastic to hear about your progress!!

Rocks, huh. Now I've heard it all.
    · Reply · Share
  • yauponreduxyauponredux 719 replies25 postsRegistered User Member
    Brava, @swimcatsmom! You have been working hard - so glad you have been able to achieve such impressive results!
    · Reply · Share
  • HouseChatteHouseChatte 589 replies1 postsRegistered User Member
    Oh, the rocks! DS2 adopted rocks from the yard, and there are a couple of shoe boxes' worth on his window sill.
    · Reply · Share
  • collage1collage1 1700 replies70 postsRegistered User Senior Member
    Woohoo!! Great job!!
    · Reply · Share
  • oregon101oregon101 5465 replies136 postsRegistered User Senior Member
    Wonderful. I have been waiting for your post!

A GF of many years is now dealing with your situation.
    Her H has filled the entire lower level of their home, underneath their deck, sheds in the yard plus
    4 storage units at the tune of $1200 a month. GF is the sole provider and soon to retire. She has never
    complained until now. Her H is quite resistant but at least their financial adviser made it clear that the $$
    spent will harm them over the years. Two garage sales were a drop in the bucket.
    · Reply · Share
  • swimcatsmomswimcatsmom 15831 replies346 postsRegistered User Senior Member
    Ouch! $1200 a month!

Our storage unit is about $600 a year. I figure we have spent upward of $10,000 since 199? Storing other people's old appliances that he went through VA phase of going round collecting. That is next on the list to go.
    · Reply · Share
    Yes last year they spent 13,000 on storage units🤮
    · Reply · Share
  • swimcatsmomswimcatsmom 15831 replies346 postsRegistered User Senior Member
    Holy 🐄. And I thought I had it bad!
    · Reply · Share
  • kiddiekiddie 3336 replies213 postsRegistered User Senior Member
    $13,000 in some parts of the country is rent on a pretty nice apartment.
    · Reply · Share
    That's nuts. I mean, really. You could sell all that sutff and then buy new for less than a one-time cost of $13,000.
    · Reply · Share
    Happy Day! H is gone until Saturday. Nephew and wife left this a.m. I am searching around the house with a bag in my hand and purging. I love it! There are three full bags in the closet and there will be double that by Friday when I do a drop off. My largest project is the study cabinets. Anyone want 3,000 staples?
    · Reply · Share
  • 1214mom1214mom 4473 replies177 postsRegistered User Senior Member
    Just put 6 bags by the front door, to be picked up tomorrow. But I admit - I have a bag of stuff from a recent purge, and I’m feeling inclined to give it a last look before putting it out. I think I will do that after dinner, then get rid of at least what I’m sure of.
    · Reply · Share
    Last bag is out, and I only kept 1 pair of jean capris.
    · Reply · Share
    Tell him they're more valuable if he sells them. He should be able to get Real Money for some of those.
    · Reply · Share
  • collage1collage1 1700 replies70 postsRegistered User Senior Member
    One of my D's has a very small (300 square feet) apartment in NY that she's lived in for one year. She never really organized from the beginning and, as she's known the owner for many years, agreed to store some things and has also been hesitant to get rid of things. It's been a year of moving items to walk around, not being able to find items, etc. This D isn't naturally an organizer and things got pretty difficult. She watched a few Marie Kondo episodes and mentioned how she'd love to do that with her space. I offered to fly out and help her.

It took about 3 1/2 days but we did it! Sent 4 big boxes to a Veterans organization that sends you a UPS label and you just drop off the boxes. We threw away about the same amount. We then organized the two closets (one is her pantry), every drawer and every nook and cranny. The result is pretty amazing, if I do say so myself. I've left town but my D is thrilled which, of course, makes me very happy. She has a couple things left to do which involve buying things. I hope she follows up but I've committed to myself that I won't nag.
    · Reply · Share
    edited June 13
    Well, I put 7 bags out yesterday, and they are still sitting on my porch (it’s 8:15 here). I think I’ve complained about this before... very frustrating, and I don’t like things to come back in once they’ve been outside all day. Oh well, hopefully my husband will drop them off at Goodwill this weekend...
    edited June 13
    · Reply · Share