right arrow
Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04

The "Bag A Week" Club

Replies to: The "Bag A Week" Club

• VeryHappyVeryHappy 18409 replies324 postsRegistered User Senior Member
    @swimcatsmom: That is fantastic progress!

Just imagine how good you'll feel when you return home after visiting your brother. You won't recognize your house!!
    · Reply · Share
  • swimcatsmomswimcatsmom 15831 replies346 postsRegistered User Senior Member
    I have a fantasy that H will decide to surprise me and have all the old vehicles, boats, lawnmowers etc. removed from the front yard while I'm gone. One can dream.

I really wish he would. It would be so nice to get it cleaned up. Also our neighbors are about to put their house on the market and I'm sure they'd appreciate it. They've been good neighbors and helped a lot with things like mowing our acre when H was too sick.
    · Reply · Share
  • kiddiekiddie 3324 replies212 postsRegistered User Senior Member
    Although I have cleaned out my linen closet a few times, I was able to make a bag today of old sheets (some with rips in them - why was I saving them?)
    · Reply · Share
  • frazzled1frazzled1 5542 replies244 postsRegistered User Senior Member
    @swimcatsmom, so happy to read about your terrific progress! Your English microwave inspired me to think of this: how about a list of the most useless/unnecessary thing a family member won’t part with?

Ours is TWO discontinued NordicTrak cross country ski machines. Husband picked up the second one 10 years ago from his sister, who was quicker than he is to realize it wasn’t going to be her workout forever and ever.

Husband has not been on our original NordicTrak in just about that long. It’s now underneath several bins of professional journals he’s going to read one of these days (see a theme developing here?). Why does he need the second NordicTrak? To repair the first one, when necessary, because they aren’t making them any more.

The second NordicTrak has migrated to my half of the basement, which is nearly cleaned out except for his stuff that just ... keeps ... migrating.

What’s the most ridiculous thing someone you live with is saving?
    · Reply · Share
  • BunsenBurnerBunsenBurner 38582 replies465 postsRegistered User Senior Member
    Most ridiculous used to be a box Mr. had in the garage labeled "Electrical ...t." I opened it once... there were chunks of wire, old outlets that we replaced, you name it. Off it the garbage it went when we moved.

Now... we disposed of the entire shed full of crap. But... Mr. kept the chunks of the cherry tree he cut in our yard. He says some day he will take it to a local mill and will make something out of it. Someday... :)
    · Reply · Share
  • 1214mom1214mom 4472 replies177 postsRegistered User Senior Member
    @frazzled1, I have a Nordic trak cross county, treadmill, stair stepper domination that is now 24 years old. It makes a great place to hang clothes to dry in the basement :wink:
    · Reply · Share
  • cypresspatcypresspat 239 replies7 postsRegistered User Junior Member
    @frazzled1
    Most ridiculous things H refuses to get rid of: 1) every piece of sheet music he has ever owned. Thousands of them. Yet when he plays (acoustic guitar) he uses his iPad. 2) every greeting card he has ever received. All of the cards from our wedding (31 years ago). Christmas cards. He has saved them ALL. I get keeping the father’s day cards from when our kids are little, but the rest are ridiculous.
    · Reply · Share
  • oregon101oregon101 5455 replies135 postsRegistered User Senior Member
    edited June 15
    It's true, H has the vast majority of things saved in our house. I do have many cloth napkins--dozens and dozens in different colors but all get used over the year. His stuff simply sits in the storage room making it difficult to find things we need to use. But this is soon to change....:).

Took the car full and dropped it off. H gets home late tonight. No, I feel no need to mention anything at all. Besides the sad amount of landfill and the donations I just shake my head. Our house looks
    very uncluttered but that is due to the crazy amount of storage and huge closets I designed when we built. It can be very deceiving.
    edited June 15
    · Reply · Share
  • frazzled1frazzled1 5542 replies244 postsRegistered User Senior Member
    So true, @oregon101. If you knocked on my door this minute, you would have no idea that I live with a would-be hoarder - as long as you didn't go into our basement, garage, or what used to be our oldest daughter's room and is now where he keeps the stuff that won't fit in the basement or garage.
    · Reply · Share
  • swimcatsmomswimcatsmom 15831 replies346 postsRegistered User Senior Member
    @Cypress LOL to the covert operations and booby traps
    · Reply · Share
  • gouf78gouf78 7776 replies23 postsRegistered User Senior Member
    So today my H admitted he’s been ready to haul out some stuff in the garage covertly since he was afraid I wanted it—I told him go for it! I was just to tired to take care of it myself. So back of my car is full.
    · Reply · Share