right arrow
Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04

The "Bag A Week" Club

Replies to: The "Bag A Week" Club

• oregon101oregon101 5455 replies135 postsRegistered User Senior Member
    edited June 16
    H just returned from time with his siblings at the family cottage. It is a junked out mess and he was frustrated with his sister who did not want to toss anything (!!!). I nearly burst our laughing as he told me about it. It was great that he "sees" things differently. That said, we have not yet tackled the storage room...
    edited June 16
    · Reply · Share
  • BunsenBurnerBunsenBurner 38583 replies465 postsRegistered User Senior Member
    edited June 16
    Did a quick sweep of the garage and disposed of an old bucket, a rug that Mr. stashed away "to put under things," and some random crap. :)

Mister knows better than starting another box labeled "electrical s..t," but I still have to be vigilant. :wink:
    edited June 16
    · Reply · Share
  • HouseChatteHouseChatte 562 replies1 postsRegistered User Member
    Added a couple dozen blank greeting cards to my bag-in-progress.
    · Reply · Share
  • VeryHappyVeryHappy 18409 replies324 postsRegistered User Senior Member
    I finally got DH to take to the dump the cushions from our This End Up furniture that the dog peed on, a few odds and ends including a suitcase with a broken zipper, and a $79 rug from Home Depot that's been sitting rolled up in our basement for five years. ("It's perfectly good! We'll use it one day!!") Hooray!!
    · Reply · Share
  • frazzled1frazzled1 5542 replies244 postsRegistered User Senior Member
    Excited that my kids are agreeing to part with stuff that’s been stored here for years. I’ll usually text them a photo of the item and they’ll either ask me to chuck it or hang onto it until the next time they’re home. I must be wearing them down because lately they haven’t wanted to save anything.
    · Reply · Share
    Sent away a small bag of doilies and other needlework decorations.
    · Reply · Share
  • 1214mom1214mom 4472 replies177 postsRegistered User Senior Member
    Lots of books have been taken to the library lately, and my husband was kind enough to take the 7 big bags that weren’t picked up to Goodwill. Slowly but surely we are getting rid of stuff.
    · Reply · Share
    A friend gave me the Marie Kondo book. (Another friend had given it to her and she wanted nothing to do with it.) So I read it. Very fast read.

It's useful, but kind of creepy. She wants you to thank items that you are discarding for their service and for the joy they once gave you. She also wants you to thank your clothes at the end of every day, as you hang them up. She provides the dialogue.

She also says that she's been fascinated by tidying since she was five years old. Oh my.
    · Reply · Share
  • gouf78gouf78 7776 replies23 postsRegistered User Senior Member
    edited June 24
    @VeryHappy — we had a thread going on Marie Kondo awhile ago. I used her method to much success. Maybe if you don’t feel like thanking your clothes then they don’t bring joy and should be discarded. :smile:
    edited June 24
    · Reply · Share
    I like a lot of my clothes and have gotten rid of a lot of things that didn't bring me joy. But it never occured to me to thank my clothes.
    · Reply · Share
  • TQfromtheUTQfromtheU 1540 replies17 postsRegistered User Senior Member
    Some people have suggest thanking a higher power for having the clothes in the past and now being able to pass them on to someone else.
    · Reply · Share
    DH and I just purged so many cubic feet of boxes from old phones and accessories. Emptied a small battered desk that was tucked in a corner of our living area and now destined for the dump.
    · Reply · Share
  • maya54maya54 2076 replies87 postsRegistered User Senior Member
    I think the Marie Kondo thanking thing is really stupid except for the fact that it actually is very helpful. It was really hard for me to get rid of some jeans that I wore when I was 70 pounds heavier that made me look as good as I was going to look. But I thanked them for their service and felt better letting them go.
    · Reply · Share
  • mom60mom60 7772 replies502 postsRegistered User Senior Member
    I had some free time today and I’m tackling the large closet I have in my master bathroom. I’m taking a CC break but I have a large bag of stuff for the trash. Organizing all the random stuff that gets stuffed inside. A few things to add to the giveaway pile.
    I can’t even count how many hotel bars of soap my H has insisted on bringing home from trips. I tossed the really old ones. Put the rest into Marie Kondo style boxes. I’m going to insist my H start to use them or find somewhere to donate them.
    Also have numerous travel pouches from business class travel. For now I’ve emptied them out and stuffed them in a larger one. Why I’m keeping them I have no clue. I don’t think they are worth giving to the thrift store.
    Back to work!
    · Reply · Share
  • BunsenBurnerBunsenBurner 38583 replies465 postsRegistered User Senior Member
    Imagine having to move this grandfather?

https://www.seattletimes.com/business/tame-the-paperwork-monster-before-it-eats-your-money-memories/

I recently diposed of a giant pile of canceled checks... why we had them - mystery! I kept the very first check Mr. wrote from our joint account and tossed the rest in the shredder box.
    · Reply · Share
    edited July 22
    Wowzee-- cleaned the garage floor acrylic. Went over every bin of earthquake supplies (many). H and I did not argue! Today we cleaned our very large storage room.
    Did argue but not very much. Left alone he would approach hoarding I would be Kondos twin. So it is clear that 60% left is his, 30% family and 10% mine. That 10% will be down to 6% very very soon. I love! purging.
    edited July 22
    · Reply · Share
    Super^!
    Wow--on a roll. Cleaned a lot of stuff out of our huge storage room.
    H wanted to keep everything. I have my two bins of my childhood stuff and it is mostly going by-by. H cannot face any loss. H argued about parting with a rug that turned out to be a mistake. I told him he had 1 1/2 weeks and Va Vets get it. He put it on next door (which is under my name-groan) and simply gave the dimensions and priced it at $100. I would have said the fact that it was brand new, the colors and asked for $300. LOL but hmmm maybe just going to keep my mouth shut. H thinks every single thing is someone else's treasure. H letting it go to charity might be worth the $ loss.
    · Reply · Share