right arrow
Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
GUEST STUDENT OF THE WEEK: Lily Wuerth got into UC Berkeley, UCLA, Georgia Tech, Rice, USC, etc. She decided to attend Georgia Tech, where she will be majoring in chemical engineering. ASK HER ANYTHING!
Make sure to check out our May Checklists for HS Juniors and HS Seniors. Consult these quick resources to get you started on the process this month.
As we work to adjust to the current reality, make sure to check out these dedicated COVID-19 resources: our directory of virtual campus tours, our directory of extended deadlines, as well as the list of schools going test optional this fall.

The "Bag A Week" Club

Replies to: The "Bag A Week" Club

• OHMomof2OHMomof2 13236 replies247 threads Senior Member
    Rough article in the NYTimes about electronics recycling in SE Asia today.

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/12/08/world/asia/e-waste-thailand-southeast-asia.html
    · Reply · Share
  • HouseChatteHouseChatte 1249 replies2 threads Senior Member
    <sigh> I really hope whoever gets our donated microwave could use it. It's in perfectly working order but took up so much space that our kitchen was impaired. I picked up a new tiny one and have the older one in back of my car for Goodwill run in the morning.
    · Reply · Share
    Microwave is gone, so is a small tote bag with screwdrivers, a little cooking pot, clip-on shop lamp. Hope it all makes someone happy.
    · Reply · Share
  • VeryHappyVeryHappy 18905 replies333 threads Senior Member
    I recently bought a new car and traded in my old car. I wonder if it was just junked or if someone will continue to drive it. It was 20 years old but the engine was fine. The body, not so much. It makes me sad to think it might just have been junked.
    · Reply · Share
  • MomofJandLMomofJandL 1969 replies41 threads Senior Member
    Replacements.com isn't buying the crystal I want to sell. Off to the local consignment shops.
    · Reply · Share
  • esobayesobay 1372 replies20 threads Senior Member
    Maybe this should go in the "Say it here" thread, but I am getting annoyed at places that advertise they want "stuff", but call to confirm first......and then the restrictions on stuff are so tight! Or how about the humane society who always wants sheets and blankets and towels? DS (finally) opened his bins of bedding from his undergraduate days (twin bed now he has a queen). Bedding was put away clean-ish, but was stained beyond what i wanted to salvage. Great to give to pets! Web site says donation hours x to y, but I call to be sure. OH NO, we ONLY accept donations from 2 to 4 on days blah blah blah.... (Not the day I planned to go and the hours now put me in rush hour traffic, grr) AND oh, by the way when I got there, they ONLY accept flat sheets, I can haul all the fitted sheets back with me after pulling them out of the sets.

But hey, they are out and done and gone now. And the games which were nearly new (but not new enough for the foster care society) are off to HOPE.

So progress with a side of aggravation I guess I'll focus on DS's room clear floor! YAY
    · Reply · Share
  • sevmomsevmom 8771 replies61 threads Senior Member
    @esobay Some of the time restrictions for drop offs may have to do with volunteer availability and logistics, storage issues. Sometimes the drop offs need to be managed , and frankly, some people drop off a bunch of junk they just want to get rid of, and that still needs to be sorted through by the organization, even if some of it is unuseable.
    · Reply · Share
  • sryrstresssryrstress 2657 replies9 threads Senior Member
    @VeryHappy I think a lot of used cars in your situation go to the auto auctions, probably especially when scrap prices are low.
    · Reply · Share
    @sryrstress : So you think it might still be on the road somewhere? Your saying that scrap prices are low suggests it's worth more as a drivable car than as scrap. That would make me happy.
    · Reply · Share
    Donated a floor lamp and two very bulky, seldom used, warm and excellent-condition sleeping bags.
    · Reply · Share
  • CountingDownCountingDown 13680 replies113 threads Senior Member
    Hauling out a car full of stuff this week. Clothes, linens, and hopefully some excess quilting fabric.
    · Reply · Share
  • MaineLonghornMaineLonghorn 41376 replies2248 threads Super Moderator
    DH and I worked out of a basement office in our house from 1999 until 2008, when we built our addition. It's kind of like a time capsule - many, many old reference books, vendor manuals, and other crap. Sometimes for various reasons we NEED old books, so it's been hard to start jettisoning any of them. I'm tired of looking at them when I exercise on the treadmill that's in that room, so I told DH that every time I go down there, I'm going to grab a couple of books off the shelves and toss them
    · Reply · Share
    ^^^ Or just bring them up and put them in your new, current office, if they're still relevant.
    · Reply · Share
  • MaineLonghornMaineLonghorn 41376 replies2248 threads Super Moderator
    ^We would if there was enough room! We're pretty maxed out. It's not a huge office and the cockatiels take up a lot of room, ha.
    · Reply · Share
  • 1214mom1214mom 5118 replies193 threads Senior Member
    I am more or less done with Christmas shopping, and I’m hoping that typing this will encourage me to use the “extra” time to clean some things up. I do have to make my dining room table usable...
    · Reply · Share
  • HoggirlHoggirl 1985 replies206 threads Senior Member
    Anyone jumping in with new vigor now that the new year is upon us?

We downsized a couple of years ago, and live in less than 1,000 square feet, but it’s amazing to me how “stuff” can still accumulate. I found a 30-day task sheet that is pretty simple and straightforward. Mostly covers clothing, bathrooms, and kitchen with a few other areas of the home (linen closet, books, etc). I’m going to work through that. I found 20 things hanging in my closet yesterday that I could easily part with.
    · Reply · Share
  • abasketabasket 20985 replies907 threads Senior Member
    I told my H to watch out this weekend cause I'm in a mood to turn the house upside down.............!
    · Reply · Share
  • BunsenBurnerBunsenBurner 40812 replies475 threads Senior Member
    edited January 3
    Mr. is planning a run to the city dump with stumps that no one seems to want to take for recycling. It is a bummer that the local bark and topsoil yard closes last year. I have quite a few things to add to his load... like the old rug he has stashed in the garage shhh... :)
    edited January 3
    · Reply · Share
  • Panhandlegal1Panhandlegal1 12 replies3 threads Junior Member
    edited January 3
    @Hoggirl, can you please elaborate on the task sheet you're using? Is it available online? Sounds like it might be a solution to the task at hand in my house! Some direction might be wonderful!
    edited January 3
    · Reply · Share