right arrow
Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Concerned about how to pay for college amid COVID-19 economic changes? Join us for a webinar on Thu, Apr. 9 at 5pm ET. REGISTER NOW and let us know what questions you have and want answered.
Check out our newest addition to the Student Lounge. Go to the "STUDENT HERE: Ask Me Anything!" and connect with fellow students who can answer your school specific questions!
Most of the decisions are in by now. Connect with fellow students and share support for those who didn't get the best news.

The "Bag A Week" Club

Replies to: The "Bag A Week" Club

• CountingDownCountingDown 13614 replies113 threads Senior Member
    I'm still in the sorting stage, but that's still a lot of carrying, lifting and stairs. DH doesn't want to spend $ or his time/energy on the process. However, I'm getting someone to do some ceiling painting and to pull carpet out of S2's room. Both are out of my league these days.

It's the attitude that annoys me more than the task.
    · Reply · Share
  • VeryHappyVeryHappy 18846 replies331 threads Senior Member
    @OHMomof2 : Apologies if you've posted this before, but what's going on in your life? Why have you gotten rid of everything and where will you be living for the next few months? And then after that??

What an amazing thing you've accomplished!
    · Reply · Share
  • colorado_momcolorado_mom 9331 replies83 threads Senior Member
    @CountingDown - I understand your frustration. I'm in a situation where DH retired ahead of me ... and I still have trouble getting him motivated on some things. He is good about doing a lot of the shopping and cooking, so in the interest of peace I don't push too hard about cleaning / declutter. But then I end up seething so need to find a balance.
    · Reply · Share
  • OHMomof2OHMomof2 13231 replies247 threads Senior Member
    @veryhappy Empty nest, I left it too :) I work online so can work from almost anywhere, which I have done off and on for a couple of years and am now doing more permanently. Currently living in an apartment that I rented furnished, so came here with a carryon and a backpack.
    · Reply · Share
    Very impressive! What's your plan?
    · Reply · Share
  • HouseChatteHouseChatte 1124 replies2 threads Senior Member
    Older son gave us a pile to dispose of at his Christmas visit. I finally moved a cubic foot of papers and books to donation, recycle, and burn piles.
    · Reply · Share
  • MomofJandLMomofJandL 1813 replies39 threads Senior Member
    Almost all of the VCR tapes are now out of the house, and some other assorted junk. And DH just asked where they went? They went to the trash like I said they would.

But he thought it was just a general idea that we would jointly decide on a tape by tape basis. Uh uh, neither of us will live that long. They are gone, except for the ones I didn't find that day.
    · Reply · Share
  • maya54maya54 2483 replies99 threads Senior Member
    @MomofJandL When was the last time he watched these? Do u still have a working VCR?
    · Reply · Share
    It's really just who he is, he has a hard time letting go of stuff. Things I've thrown away have been rescued from the trash before.

We do have a working VCR, but none of these tapes would ever have been watched by anyone, the church rummage sale won't take them anymore, Goodwill can't sell them, they are obsolete technology and he knows that. And still is not willing to let them go. That's why he has me.
    · Reply · Share
    I was able to get DH to part with some videos, but not all. Sadly, we do still own a VCR, but for the seven years we've been in this house, it's never been set up.

Nor is it likely to ever be.
    · Reply · Share
  • shellfellshellfell 3565 replies12 threads Senior Member
    We still have a working VCR, but only kept some of the kiddie videos (Disney, etc). We'll see if DH sets up the VCR when GD visits in April.
    · Reply · Share
  • sryrstresssryrstress 2622 replies9 threads Senior Member
    We had years of Super Bowl games on VCR tapes. We had them on BETA, as well as VHS. No BETA machine; VCR last hooked up be 2004. Stored in a very hot/cold attic.

They burn amazingly well in a hot fire. No, I did not ask him.
    · Reply · Share
    So glad I converted my home movies from video to dvd a few years back. All the tapes fit on one dvd.
    · Reply · Share
    Do you ever watch the home movies? I think we have a few, somewhere, but don't think we have ever watched any of them.

And now I have to wait to throw away the audio cassettes. I think we last listened to one in the car we sold in 2003.
    · Reply · Share
  • runnersmomrunnersmom 2351 replies37 threads Senior Member
    @Hoggirl, sorry haven't checked this thread for awhile so missed your question. We got the thumb drives and digital files (or I think that's what he got, didn't do DVDs).
    · Reply · Share
    MomofJandL wrote: »
    Do you ever watch the home movies? I think we have a few, somewhere, but don't think we have ever watched any of them.

Occasionally. They're he only videos I have of my kids when they were little, they were pre-smartphone.

· Reply · Share
  • HoggirlHoggirl 1887 replies204 threads Senior Member
    Hoggirl wrote: »
    What have y’all done about converting old camcorder tapes? I am looking at Legacy Box. Thought I might try two items and see how it goes.

Coming back to say that we had a great experience using Legacy Box. Total turnaround time was around 3 weeks with email updates along the way. We will definitely send in the rest of our tapes to have them converted. They can convert several different formats of recordings. We had ours put on a thumb drive. Super fun watching them!
    · Reply · Share