right arrow
GUEST STUDENT OF THE WEEK: AMALehigh is a rising sophomore at Lehigh University, majoring in Finance. He answers questions about academics, networking, finance, Greek life, or Lehigh in general. ASK HIM ANYTHING!
Make sure to check out our July Checklists for HS Juniors and HS Seniors. Consult these quick resources to get you started on the process this month.
As we work to adjust to the current reality, make sure to check out these dedicated COVID-19 resources: our directory of virtual campus tours, our directory of extended deadlines, as well as the list of schools going test optional this fall.

The "Bag A Week" Club

1209210211212213215»

Replies to: The "Bag A Week" Club

• HoggirlHoggirl 2066 replies211 threads Senior Member
    @rockymtnhigh2 - well done!!!
    · Reply · Share
  • kiddiekiddie 3847 replies239 threads Senior Member
    Unprompted by me, my husband has been going through all his books. He has mostly non-fiction special interest stuff. Any book where he can get most of the information on the internet is going. We already have a box of over 30 books to get rid of and he is maybe halfway through. Trying to figure out where to donate to (not sure that the local book sales will be happening this year that we would usually donate to).
    · Reply · Share
  • 1214mom1214mom 5282 replies195 threads Senior Member
    @kiddie, we decided to just take ours to our library once the library opens.
    I have tons of kids books that I’m getting rid of (youngest is 24), and I was thinking I’d find a school or something that could use them, but the library is close and easy.
    · Reply · Share
  • rockymtnhigh2rockymtnhigh2 461 replies6 threads Member
    So, youngest is 28 and I still have the kids books. Donated alot of preschool ones to a church daycare years ago. Kept the BOB books and some tween and childhood books. Now have a grand kid. Will I be using them? Not sure.
    · Reply · Share
    @rockymtnhigh2, I’d pick out some of your favorites and donate the rest. I kept almost all of my kids books until just recently.
    We are thinking we will move from the “big house” in the next several years (3-5ish), and my new criteria (may have picked in up on CC) is “Will I want to pay to move it/take it to the retirement place?”
    If not, it needs to find a new home. This has helped us a fair amount in deciding what to part with. Just today, my husband said - “I’m not going to need all these nice button downs and sweaters in retirement.” Out they went. (He still has plenty). We will both need to drive to Goodwill or wherever when they open to get rid of all the bags we have.
    · Reply · Share
  • kiddiekiddie 3847 replies239 threads Senior Member
    Husband is also getting rid of our old wii-fit. Going to have a big pile of stuff for the local fall rummage sale!
    · Reply · Share
  • 2VU06092VU0609 3670 replies61 threads Senior Member
    I have been purging paper out of S's large closet. Both his college notes and his sister's have been living there for 10+ years. Not anymore. Also purged lots of my employment related papers after using my little masking roller on all of the ss#/employer ID # papers and threw out installation instructions for appliances I no longer own. Not done yet, but great progress and it feels good!
    · Reply · Share
  • BunsenBurnerBunsenBurner 41306 replies479 threads Senior Member
    @2VU0609 - be careful with those masking rollers. Our friends gave us one as a gift. I discovered that the “ink” it used was quite water-soluble. It washed right off leaving whatever I was trying to mask quite visible. Hope yours is much better than that!
    · Reply · Share
  • colorado_momcolorado_mom 9441 replies83 threads Senior Member
    @kiddie - Your old wii-fit might be something that friend or neighbors might appreciate now. I have a lot of work-from-home coworkers that say their energetic kids are a challenge.
    · Reply · Share
  • 2VU06092VU0609 3670 replies61 threads Senior Member
    @BunsenBurner, thanks for the advice. I need to test that out!
    · Reply · Share
  • eastcoascrazyeastcoascrazy 2603 replies22 threads Senior Member
    LOL, my last post here was 65 pages ago.

I continue to have a few bags to donate every single time the lovely lady from my charity of choice calls. BUT! No calls or pickups since February! My garage has a lot of bags awaiting a resumption of collections!

All my stuff is still here, just bagged and in the garage.
    · Reply · Share
  • BunsenBurnerBunsenBurner 41306 replies479 threads Senior Member
    edited June 25
    The first day our Goodwill center opened back for donations collection after the Covid lockdown... there was a line of cars snaking around the block!! :) We too have a bunch of items to take there, but I am waiting for the madness to be over.
    edited June 25
    · Reply · Share
  • psychmommapsychmomma 3332 replies47 threads Senior Member
    We've made four goodwill drop-offs since they reopened a while ago. I don't even remember what was in those bags, we filled them so long ago. I had a minor panic attack when H decided to load his car from garage things and he took items I intended for a sibling. Luckily, he hadn't made the drop-off yet. I asked if it wasn't obvious to him that the contents were family souvenir items, not intended for donation. He said he did think it was weird, especially since the items were in a rolling cooler and not a donation box or bag. LOL
    · Reply · Share
    My husband has done a full carload of bags at GoodWill, and we have at least one more to go. Those bags have been stored in the basement and an extra bedroom, so I don’t see them every day.
    · Reply · Share
  • SilpatSilpat 1391 replies21 threads Senior Member
    H is well into retirement and finally accepted that he does not need the many suits and sport coats he used to wear. He put most in a large moving box on a hanging rail, along with about a bunch of dress shirts and ties. I took them to the thrift shop we usually donate to and they refused to take them in the box. They also said they don't accept hangers but wanted everything bagged, not caring that they were all dry cleaned and ready to wear. Nope.

The next day, H took the box to a different charity about 20 minutes from us and they were happy to get the donation. I know who I'll call for a large donation pick up next year when we sell our house.
    · Reply · Share
    @silpat, my husband is the opposite...
    He owns 1 suit, which he’s had for almost 20 years. We call it his wedding and funeral suit. I asked him if he was going to consider getting a new suit for a relatives wedding later this year.
    He said “we’ll see.”
    · Reply · Share
  • SilpatSilpat 1391 replies21 threads Senior Member
    My husband is very happy to be free of the daily suit and tie. It was really miserable in the summer when the thermometer on one of the banks downtown read 95+ most afternoons. His employer required execs to wear suits long after others had gone to business casual. Even the outside auditors and consultants complained because their bosses required them to dress to the same level as the client.

Now I need to get serious about culling my bins and bags of old clothes. There are too many that used to fit but don't now. By the time I get back to those sizes, if I ever do, they will look so dated. I still have my MOG dress from eight years ago. It's not likely I'll wear it again, but I've been reluctant to let it go.
    · Reply · Share
  • colorado_momcolorado_mom 9441 replies83 threads Senior Member
    I had made mild progress on declutter at my house. But now I'm helping mom get ready to move out of her apartment (probably to my house). Oh my - what a mess of things I have around the house now, including lots of stacks of folders as we try to ensure we have all her financial matters covered and mementos to review with my sister some day. So be it. There is a time for clutter, and hopefully more time someday to deal with it better.
    · Reply · Share