Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

How to Remove Poker Program so my son can study

SuNaSuNa Registered User Posts: 923 Member
edited March 2006 in Parent Cafe
Not sure if this is kosher in the Parent Cafe forum. My son downloaded the Golden Palace Poker program during his recent spring break. His addictive behavior means that, now that classes have resumed, we need to get rid of it. The problem is, I don't know how. There is no "uninstall" button for it, and tossing it in the recycling doesn't do the trick.

If anyone has any bright ideas, please send them my way. Thanks!
Post edited by SuNa on

Replies to: How to Remove Poker Program so my son can study

• citygirlsmomcitygirlsmom - Posts: 13,158 Senior Member
    Tell him to delete it.. Make him do it. For "addicts", and I mean that with cyber hugs and humor, if they do it themselves, it will mean more

If he can down load it he can get rid of it and he should
  • NJresNJres Registered User Posts: 6,146 Senior Member
    You have a problem. Even if you figure out how to delete/uninstall the program your son will just download it and install it again.

As for uninstalling. When you go to - settings, control panel, add or remove programs - does the poker program show up on the list of currently installed programs? You should be able to remove it using that sequence.
  • chocolateluvr88chocolateluvr88 Registered User Posts: 827 Member
    Let your son keep the Poker program and tell him that he must get certain grades for you to continue giving him whatever money you give him for personal use at college.
  • SuNaSuNa Registered User Posts: 923 Member
    citygirlsmom, I agree with making him do it. Not sure if he knows how, because I think I inadvertently got rid of the "uninstall" button.

NJres, I will check to make sure the program isn't reinstalled. I've done that before and he's pretty compliant. The poker program does not show up on the list of currently installed programs when I go to control panel, add or remove programs. It DOES show up when I list all programs using the start button.
  • tlaktantlaktan Registered User Posts: 2,273 Senior Member
    That may just be a leftover icon.
  • SuNaSuNa Registered User Posts: 923 Member
    No, it isn't a leftover icon. If I click on it, Golden Palace opens up, in all its splendor.

I don't plan on giving S any money for personal use in college. That will be earned by him.

It has worked before to just uninstall the program. He really is a good kid. It's just that when it's easily available he gets tempted.

Thanks for your help . . . !
    You need a 13 year old boy or girl to figure this out!!
    Can you hide the icon somewhere, in a really obscure spot so he can't find it until you delete it

sometimes in cleaning up my desktop, my ds put stuff in the strangest places
  • TheDadTheDad Registered User, ! Posts: 10,228 Senior Member
    Note: if he succumbs to temptation now, he'll have many more temptations when away at college.
  • bandit_TXbandit_TX Registered User Posts: 2,373 Senior Member
    I think I inadvertently got rid of the "uninstall" button
    Re-install it and then do the un-install
  • hobofromdowntownhobofromdowntown Registered User Posts: 2,232 Senior Member
    go to my computer > click on the add or remove programs link (should be on your left side) > search for program > uninstall.
    I have an apple, i just drag to trash and most of the time, voila!!

GOOD LUCK

maybe we can us it for CC when our kiddies get married!!
  • ReezeReeze Registered User Posts: 777 Member
    go to start -> settings -> control panel -> add or remove programs -> scroll down to Golden Palace and click remove/uninstall

I personally love playing Golden Palace... really nice site for poker.
  • somebodynewsomebodynew Registered User Posts: 2,895 Senior Member
    C:/Program Files...whatever the program folder is called (most programs will install to the program files folder...and then just delete the folder.

ETA: Also make sure to clear it from the Recycle Bin afterwards.
  • chocolateluvr88chocolateluvr88 Registered User Posts: 827 Member
    Oooh, your son is not in college now? Nevermind, I misunderstood you. Then it is fine.
This discussion has been closed.