right arrow
GUEST STUDENT OF THE WEEK: AMALehigh is a rising sophomore at Lehigh University, majoring in Finance. He answers questions about academics, networking, finance, Greek life, or Lehigh in general. ASK HIM ANYTHING!
Make sure to check out our July Checklists for HS Juniors and HS Seniors. Consult these quick resources to get you started on the process this month.
As we work to adjust to the current reality, make sure to check out these dedicated COVID-19 resources: our directory of virtual campus tours, our directory of extended deadlines, as well as the list of schools going test optional this fall.

How to Remove Poker Program so my son can study

SuNaSuNa 888 replies34 threads Member
edited March 2006 in Parent Cafe
Not sure if this is kosher in the Parent Cafe forum. My son downloaded the Golden Palace Poker program during his recent spring break. His addictive behavior means that, now that classes have resumed, we need to get rid of it. The problem is, I don't know how. There is no "uninstall" button for it, and tossing it in the recycling doesn't do the trick.

If anyone has any bright ideas, please send them my way. Thanks!
edited March 2006
20 replies
Post edited by SuNa on
· Reply · Share

Replies to: How to Remove Poker Program so my son can study

• citygirlsmomcitygirlsmom - 12783 replies375 threads Senior Member
    Tell him to delete it.. Make him do it. For "addicts", and I mean that with cyber hugs and humor, if they do it themselves, it will mean more

If he can down load it he can get rid of it and he should
    · Reply · Share
  • NJresNJres 6110 replies189 threads Senior Member
    You have a problem. Even if you figure out how to delete/uninstall the program your son will just download it and install it again.

As for uninstalling. When you go to - settings, control panel, add or remove programs - does the poker program show up on the list of currently installed programs? You should be able to remove it using that sequence.
    · Reply · Share
  • chocolateluvr88chocolateluvr88 798 replies29 threads Member
    Let your son keep the Poker program and tell him that he must get certain grades for you to continue giving him whatever money you give him for personal use at college.
    · Reply · Share
  • SuNaSuNa 888 replies34 threads Member
    citygirlsmom, I agree with making him do it. Not sure if he knows how, because I think I inadvertently got rid of the "uninstall" button.

NJres, I will check to make sure the program isn't reinstalled. I've done that before and he's pretty compliant. The poker program does not show up on the list of currently installed programs when I go to control panel, add or remove programs. It DOES show up when I list all programs using the start button.
    · Reply · Share
  • tlaktantlaktan 2104 replies169 threads Senior Member
    That may just be a leftover icon.
    · Reply · Share
  • SuNaSuNa 888 replies34 threads Member
    No, it isn't a leftover icon. If I click on it, Golden Palace opens up, in all its splendor.

I don't plan on giving S any money for personal use in college. That will be earned by him.

It has worked before to just uninstall the program. He really is a good kid. It's just that when it's easily available he gets tempted.

Thanks for your help . . . !
    · Reply · Share
    You need a 13 year old boy or girl to figure this out!!
    · Reply · Share
    Can you hide the icon somewhere, in a really obscure spot so he can't find it until you delete it

sometimes in cleaning up my desktop, my ds put stuff in the strangest places
    · Reply · Share
  • TheDadTheDad ! 9905 replies323 threads Senior Member
    Note: if he succumbs to temptation now, he'll have many more temptations when away at college.
    · Reply · Share
  • bandit_TXbandit_TX 2313 replies60 threads Senior Member
    I think I inadvertently got rid of the "uninstall" button
    Re-install it and then do the un-install
    · Reply · Share
  • hobofromdowntownhobofromdowntown 2212 replies20 threads Senior Member
    go to my computer > click on the add or remove programs link (should be on your left side) > search for program > uninstall.
    · Reply · Share
    I have an apple, i just drag to trash and most of the time, voila!!

GOOD LUCK

maybe we can us it for CC when our kiddies get married!!
    · Reply · Share
  • ReezeReeze 661 replies115 threads Member
    go to start -> settings -> control panel -> add or remove programs -> scroll down to Golden Palace and click remove/uninstall

I personally love playing Golden Palace... really nice site for poker.
    · Reply · Share
  • somebodynewsomebodynew 2814 replies81 threads Senior Member
    C:/Program Files...whatever the program folder is called (most programs will install to the program files folder...and then just delete the folder.

ETA: Also make sure to clear it from the Recycle Bin afterwards.
    · Reply · Share
  • chocolateluvr88chocolateluvr88 798 replies29 threads Member
    Oooh, your son is not in college now? Nevermind, I misunderstood you. Then it is fine.
    · Reply · Share
  • jpps1jpps1 . 1905 replies85 threads Senior Member
    Just let him play, if he's of legal age. I don't see how he can't make room for studying AND online poker. I play about an hour a day and it's really no sweat.

And financially, the problem is self-correcting ;).
    · Reply · Share
  • VyseVyse 1712 replies163 threads Senior Member
    Installing a poker program takes all of about 10 seconds, you two aren't removing any major temptation hurdles by deleting it. Any accounts he makes on the site stay in their system until they ahve been inactive for over 6 months. So if he gets the urge to play after its uninstalled, he can go to the site, click "install", and it will be done before he can walk to the fridge and back. And his old account, money, stats, everything will be intact. What'd be more effeicient would be to communicate your rules and punishments for playing during the school year.
    · Reply · Share
  • mammamiamammamia 85 replies4 threads Junior Member
    My worry is LIVE poker playing in the dorms. Texas hold 'em is huge now and I suppose even at a highly regarded university like USC or NYU that there will be those who might "Lose it" for a while. This is where we have to learn to let go and let them see that their actions cause reactions, ie.. grades suffering and allowances dwindling. That's going to be my work next fall, letting go.
    · Reply · Share
  • yulsieyulsie 747 replies57 threads Member
    Lizzie Borden took an axe and gave her Gateway 40 whacks!
    · Reply · Share
  • VyseVyse 1712 replies163 threads Senior Member
    mammamia-Don't worry, just tell your son not to chase on his flush/straight draws when people raise to 3 times the size of the blinds or more. And also tell him to make sure that he bets aggresively preflop when he's holding a top 15 hand-the optimal outcome in those situations is for a single person to call a big raise. If you try and get cute and slowplay people too much when you have the best hand pre-flop, someone's going to fish and you're going to get burned with half the table drawing at you like that. And finally, remind him that the payout structure favors the guy that gets 1st or 2nd every once in awhile and gets out early the rest of the time, not the guy who plays too tight and finishes barely in the money every other game. Be smart, but be aggressive.

(Just kidding, I know you're worried about how he'll set his priorities. My mom is the same way :P)
    · Reply · Share
This discussion has been closed.

Recent Activity