right arrow
Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04

I can't believe my parents let me do that!

2»

Replies to: I can't believe my parents let me do that!

• JunefourJunefour 61 replies1 threadsRegistered User Junior Member
    I remember my sister and I being dropped off on saturdays at the Penn Theater when we were 7 and 9. All the kids seemed to be there and it was fun watching Godzilla movies and then hanging out downtown for the rest of the day. We would shop and have lunch out and mom would pick us up before dinner.

We would ride bikes all over, visit parks for the day alone and play pretty much anywhere that looked appealing.

Not our kids world is it?
    · Reply · Share
  • PackMomPackMom 7650 replies17 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    Speaking of walking to school....When I was in 1st and 2nd grade my older sister (10 years older) would drop me off at school in the mornings on her way to the high school which was about 2 blocks away.
    In the afternoon elementary school dismissed an hour before the high school so I had to walk down to her school alone and then find her last class of the day (which happened to be band). I opened the door and went right in the classroom every day (or to the football field if they were practicing there) and just sat there listening to the music and waiting for my ride home. Nobody ever said a word.
    · Reply · Share
  • w1ckedw1cked 1629 replies5 threadsRegistered User Member
    And so much paranoia considering that crime rates are about at an all time low since the 70s.
    · Reply · Share
  • emeraldkity4emeraldkity4 34785 replies1076 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    I dunno- we not only had the mass murder last weekend but Monday my daughters high school had yet another lock down because of a shooting across the street
    we used to have "fire drills" when someone pulled the alarm- but we didn't have lockdowns
    · Reply · Share
  • barronsbarrons 23045 replies1953 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    We could pretty much go as far as we could ride our bikes roundtrip before Dinner. At around age 10 I would ride 5 miles into town and hangout at the public pool or go "shopping" which might involve talking the old 5 finger discount.--Heh, we were poor.
    At age 15, two years before legal driving age, my dad got me a real live 80cc motorcycle ( I still don't now why or how that happened) I think I was asking for a mini-bike.. I was tacitly allowed to ride it on our fairly quiet country roads. Never got busted by the police.
    · Reply · Share
  • dkedke 2523 replies167 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    My son technically could walk home from the bus stop....its a little over a mile away, but his back pack weighs just about half of his weight, so I give him a break and pick him up. I didn't have that type of workload in middle school.
    · Reply · Share
  • OhMotherOhMother 137 replies11 threadsRegistered User Junior Member
    Raised in the rural south, my mother told me I came home to get a jug of water to take to the chain gang on my tricycle while they were scything brush on the highway. They looked very hot and tired and I thought they could use a drink. I remember some of the incident - a man on a horse with a gun overseeing the work. I grew up riding horses anywhere and everywhere. Got thrown one time when I was out riding by myself and had to walk along way home. I could've broken my neck!
    · Reply · Share
  • PackMomPackMom 7650 replies17 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    OhMother...I grew up ridng ponies (in the rural south) too. While riding double(and bareback) on my pony, my friend fell off and broke her arm. We had to walk to a small grocery store to call for help. It was the kind of store where all the produce was out front in bins. I tied the pony and went inside with her to use the phone. When I came out the pony had his head buried in the apple bin eating as hard has he could go. I was so afraid of getting in trouble that I hopped on him and we flew down the road to the barn! Somebody at the store gave my friend a ride to the hospital and her parents came up and met her there. I thought we handled it all pretty well considering we were 12!
    · Reply · Share
  • minimini 26172 replies259 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    I graduated a year early from HS and decided I wanted to travel in Europe. So at 17, I saved my summer earnings from lifeguarding and hitch-hiked around Europe for 6 months by myself. When my eldest D, 17 at the time, left for a trip on her own to Cambodia, India and Thailand last summer for 2 months, it stuck me how brave my mother was 30 years ago to let me go. I asked her about it when we came home from taking D to the airport, and she told me all her friends thought she was nuts to let me go. We, at least, had regular email and fairly regular phone conversations with our D while she was in Asia, and we knew most of the people she was visiting. When I went to Europe, I think I called my mom twice in 6 months, but I did write to her.

My girls lives are not substantially more restricted then mine was as a kid, they have riden their bikes pretty much where ever they want (but they do have to wear helmets), go downtown or to the woods by themselves, and have stayed home by themselves since they were pretty young. They let us know where they are going and when to expect them home. Our younger one, now 15, tends to let us know every change of plans, but I figure it is better to hear to much than too little.
    Ellen
    · Reply · Share
  • cathymeecathymee 2350 replies34 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    I lived across the street from the tail end of a large urban public park in one of NYC's outer boroughs. The kids on the block spent alot of time in the woods hanging out,even building lean-tos. Nobody thought of tracking where their kids were until dark..or dinner whichever came first.I walked to and from elementary school daily with the same gang of kids..no parents walking along,nobody got rides even in bad weather.Later on,I took buses and subways as a matter of fact,taking myself to the orthodontist ,dentist (neighbor),music lessons, shopping on weekends with friends.Nobody asked their parents for rides! In my middle teens I had a friend from surburbia (Long Island..exotic) and we would routinely hitch rides back and forth to each others houses (in the mid to late 1960's).
    · Reply · Share
This discussion has been closed.

Recent Activity