Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
The Forums will be unavailable Tuesday, June 25 starting at 9 am ET as we prepare for a major design update!

My reluctant 14yo reader is reading! Thanks!

galwaymomgalwaymom Registered User Posts: 405 Member
edited March 2006 in Parent Cafe
I posted just last week for book suggestions, and you all came through with flying colors! We went crazy at the library and amazon, and he has devoured a few already- starting with the most appealing cover, a kid with a basketball of course, for my March Madness crazed son....SLAM, by Walter Dean Myers.He has also read Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, and a Garth Nix book.
It warmed my heart so much when I came home tonight to find him 1/3 of the way through Into Thin Air!
Yes! I'm pinching myself!!

I just had to share...I promise not to chronicle each book completeion! Thanks to all!!!:)
Post edited by galwaymom on

Replies to: My reluctant 14yo reader is reading! Thanks!

• maritemarite Registered User Posts: 21,586 Senior Member
    Galwaymom:

That is great! Thanks for sharing. I always think that kids can be attracted to reading as long as they are given books that interest them, not what adults think is good for them.
  • jasmomjasmom Registered User Posts: 1,153 Senior Member
    Oh, come on, chonicle each book completion. Hurrah!
  • TheDadTheDad Registered User, ! Posts: 10,228 Senior Member
    Yay. (And especially yay on Garth Nix. Funny, now that I think of it...has he read one of the SABRIEL/LIRAEL/ABHORSEN set or something else? Both my D and I love them but I think they tilt "female," though by no means exclusively.)
  • MoominmamaMoominmama Registered User Posts: 827 Member
    Wow, if he's reading "Into Thin Air" he's pretty much ready for anything! I didn't follow the whole thread of suggestions, but if he likes that, he might also like "The Perfect Storm" and "Under the Banner of Heaven".
  • corrangedcorranged Registered User Posts: 6,684 Senior Member
    Wow! That is quite the turn around! Congratulations!
  • NJresNJres Registered User Posts: 6,146 Senior Member
    Finally! A CC success story!!! Just don't expect us to get him into Harvard!
  • maritemarite Registered User Posts: 21,586 Senior Member
    Finally! A CC success story!!! Just don't expect us to get him into Harvard!

Why not? I think there is a question on the Harvard supplement that asks applicants to list their recent readings. So Galwaymom's S should keep a list and credit CC for the suggestions! :)
  • celebrian25celebrian25 Registered User Posts: 15,373 Senior Member
    He sounds like my brother. My brother loathes reading (a sophomore) but he loves books centered around sports.
  • NYMomof2NYMomof2 Registered User Posts: 6,025 Senior Member
    That's great, Galwaymom! I'm so glad your son is reading avidly. I compiled a reading list for my 13-year-old from that thread.

Please do chronicle his progress.
  • galwaymomgalwaymom Registered User Posts: 405 Member
    Thanks, all- I am thrilled for him, and kinda surprised he got bitten so fast and painlessly by the reading bug (besides Sports Illustrated)! And I owe it all to the CC posters who helped with the fabulous book list.

Of course, the Irish Catholic guilt in me says I should have pushed this sooner, but of course dd's college process kept me otherwise occupied in my spare time. Poor s, my d tells him- "it's all you baby when I'm gone!"
  • kinshasakinshasa Registered User Posts: 1,468 Senior Member
    Two sports themed books I loved as a teenager were "Bang the Drum Slowly" and "The Southpaw". I believe the author is Mark Harris.
  • emeraldkity4emeraldkity4 Registered User Posts: 35,861 Senior Member
    that is great!
  • fendergirlfendergirl Registered User Posts: 4,757 Senior Member
    galwaymom - the same thing happened with my sister. she never likes to read things, and my mom heard about some series of books that she thought she would like and went out and bought her all ten of them - she finished them in no time. Right now she's really into shakesphere because of her shakesphere class in high school.. she's read three or four shakesphere plays so far this quarter. (Even some that weren't required by the class).
  • optimizerdadoptimizerdad Registered User Posts: 774 Member
    GalwayMom:
    That's great news! See, once the kid gets bitten by the reading bug, he/she is hooked for life. I honestly don't think it matters *what* they are reading, as long as they are reading, period. Great Works, science fiction, humor, biographies... it's all fertilizer for the adolescent brain.

We have bookshelves set up in every bathroom in our townhouse, and they are filled. Mind you, it was hard to pry the kids out once they got in.... :) . They're both off to college now, but the bookshelves are in place. Hey, the grandkids will come someday...
  • momnipotentmomnipotent Registered User Posts: 662 Member
    What was the title of the original thread??? Hook me up!!
This discussion has been closed.