Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Hotels in: Corvallis, Tucson, Seattle, LA

patientpatient Registered User Posts: 1,458 Member
edited April 2006 in Parent Cafe
Recommendations? Will be following son & team to the above places over the course of the next two months. Nice hotels near the colleges (OSU, Arizona, U. Washington, and UCLA) would be most appreciated!
Post edited by patient on

Replies to: Hotels in: Corvallis, Tucson, Seattle, LA

• berurahberurah - Posts: 4,560 Senior Member
    hey patient~

I don't know anything about hotels in those areas, but I just wanted to wish your son and his team the BEST OF LUCK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :)

~berurah
  • patientpatient Registered User Posts: 1,458 Member
    berurah wrote:
    hey patient~

I don't know anything about hotels in those areas, but I just wanted to wish your son and his team the BEST OF LUCK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :)

~berurah

Thanks, they may need it ;).
  • MoominmamaMoominmama Registered User Posts: 827 Member
    For Seattle: Do you want to be within walking distance of campus? How nice is nice -- which is to say, how expensive are you willing to consider?
  • barronsbarrons Registered User Posts: 24,976 Senior Member
    The Westin in downtown Seattle is nice and has good rates through Hotwire--around $120. About 15 minutes from UW campus.
  • -Allmusic--Allmusic- Registered User Posts: 6,350 Senior Member
    We stayed at the Silver Cloud Inn in Seattle, which is in the university district, I think. It was perfectly fine, not outstanding, but nice enough, and a good location.
  • kdmomkdmom Registered User Posts: 362 Member
    -Allmusic- wrote:
    We stayed at the Silver Cloud Inn in Seattle, which is in the university district, I think. It was perfectly fine, not outstanding, but nice enough, and a good location.

I second the recommendation for the Silver Cloud Inn. It's on 25th Ave., NE which is very near UW. Our friends and family always stay there when they're in Seattle (and not staying at our house). They have a nice breakfast, pool, etc.
    Thanks, will check it out! being near campus would be great I think, as I have stayed in downtown Seattle so I've had that experience. I am going to try to stay at the Tucson Inn in Tucson as I have a friend who raves about it. "Nice" can be anything from Ramada Inn to luxury :D--clean, safe and quiet are the main issues for me!
  • barronsbarrons Registered User Posts: 24,976 Senior Member
    Silver Cloud would be fine then. Also close to U Village Shopping Center where many UW kids hangout. It has numerous nice shops in an open-air format.
  • MoominmamaMoominmama Registered User Posts: 827 Member
    You might also want to consider the University Inn (http://www.universityinnseattle.com/) -- I don't have any personal knowledge of it, but the website looks nice! It's located closer to the main part of campus, and you wouldn't have the schlepp yourself up that hill to be in that main campus area. If, however, you'll be spending most of your time in the athletic facilities, the Silver Cloud might work better, since the athletic complex is "down below". What sport is your son playing?
  • PrimetimeMomPrimetimeMom Registered User Posts: 426 Junior Member
    At UCLA I recommend the W Hotel (formerly the Westwood Marquis). It's practically on campus. It's a gorgeous hotel. www.whotels.com
  • ValleymomValleymom Registered User Posts: 32 Junior Member
    In Tucson we like the Universtity Park Marriott. It's practically on the campus.
  • dmd77dmd77 Registered User Posts: 8,663 Senior Member
    I was going to mention the Marriott in Tucson as well. Very nice hotel and perfect location. Not to mention the key factor from my husband's point of view: the Starbucks is next door.

Despite living in the Seattle area, I have no idea where to stay near the U. I like the Sheraton downtown though, and the Alexis--both located conveniently downtown--and near Pike Place Market, which is fun to explore--and quite nice. A lot depends on what you're planning to do when you're not on campus!
  • sacsac Registered User Posts: 1,547 Senior Member
    Lucky you! I'm jealous.

Do you like B and Bs? Nice one in the bottom of Santa Monica Canyon, at the beach and not far from UCLA. I think it's called Channel Road Inn.

A couple of decades ago we stayed at a B and B in Corvallis. I just looked and it might be the Harrison House. Could be under different ownership but the dining room looks familiar.
  • jessetfanjessetfan Registered User Posts: 588 Member
    Just a warning for LA, stay away from a place called the Furama, they have really good prices, but overall it is one of the worst hotels I have ever been in.
    Thank you all! I too like the Seattle Sheraton but for this I think I want to be closer to campus; so I will look into all of these suggestions--you just saved me several hours on the internet etc.!

Moominmama, it is baseball. Unfortunately with our weather getting in games is proving to be quite a challenge. We have just broken the all-time record for number of rainy days in March (old record was 23, we are at 24 either today or tomorrow, when it is also going to rain
    :( .....) I am therefore looking forward to Tucson the most!
This discussion has been closed.