right arrow
Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Join us for a LIVE webinar Thursday, June 11 at 7pm ET to hear from students on how COVID-19 impacted their college plans and current on-campus experiences. Zai, Ethan, and Rohan will share information about their college and application experiences. REGISTER NOW!
College Confidential stands united with African American students and their families against racial injustice and in pursuit of higher education and equality in America.
GUEST STUDENT OF THE WEEK: Zai Dawodu overcame a low GPA to get into top schools like Northwestern or NYU. She'll be attending Northwestern to study Computer Science. ASK HER ANYTHING!
Make sure to check out our June Checklists for HS Juniors and HS Seniors. Consult these quick resources to get you started on the process this month.
As we work to adjust to the current reality, make sure to check out these dedicated COVID-19 resources: our directory of virtual campus tours, our directory of extended deadlines, as well as the list of schools going test optional this fall.

Hotels in: Corvallis, Tucson, Seattle, LA

patientpatient 1403 replies55 threads Member
edited April 2006 in Parent Cafe
Recommendations? Will be following son & team to the above places over the course of the next two months. Nice hotels near the colleges (OSU, Arizona, U. Washington, and UCLA) would be most appreciated!
edited April 2006
19 replies
Post edited by patient on
· Reply · Share

Replies to: Hotels in: Corvallis, Tucson, Seattle, LA

• berurahberurah - 4478 replies82 threads Senior Member
    hey patient~

I don't know anything about hotels in those areas, but I just wanted to wish your son and his team the BEST OF LUCK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :)

~berurah
    · Reply · Share
  • patientpatient 1403 replies55 threads Member
    berurah wrote:
    hey patient~

I don't know anything about hotels in those areas, but I just wanted to wish your son and his team the BEST OF LUCK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :)

~berurah

Thanks, they may need it ;).
    · Reply · Share
  • MoominmamaMoominmama 807 replies20 threads Member
    For Seattle: Do you want to be within walking distance of campus? How nice is nice -- which is to say, how expensive are you willing to consider?
    · Reply · Share
  • barronsbarrons 23087 replies1956 threads Senior Member
    The Westin in downtown Seattle is nice and has good rates through Hotwire--around $120. About 15 minutes from UW campus.
    · Reply · Share
  • -Allmusic--Allmusic- 6246 replies104 threads Senior Member
    We stayed at the Silver Cloud Inn in Seattle, which is in the university district, I think. It was perfectly fine, not outstanding, but nice enough, and a good location.
    · Reply · Share
  • kdmomkdmom 341 replies21 threads Member
    -Allmusic- wrote:
    We stayed at the Silver Cloud Inn in Seattle, which is in the university district, I think. It was perfectly fine, not outstanding, but nice enough, and a good location.

I second the recommendation for the Silver Cloud Inn. It's on 25th Ave., NE which is very near UW. Our friends and family always stay there when they're in Seattle (and not staying at our house). They have a nice breakfast, pool, etc.
    · Reply · Share
    Thanks, will check it out! being near campus would be great I think, as I have stayed in downtown Seattle so I've had that experience. I am going to try to stay at the Tucson Inn in Tucson as I have a friend who raves about it. "Nice" can be anything from Ramada Inn to luxury :D--clean, safe and quiet are the main issues for me!
    · Reply · Share
  • barronsbarrons 23087 replies1956 threads Senior Member
    Silver Cloud would be fine then. Also close to U Village Shopping Center where many UW kids hangout. It has numerous nice shops in an open-air format.
    · Reply · Share
    You might also want to consider the University Inn (http://www.universityinnseattle.com/) -- I don't have any personal knowledge of it, but the website looks nice! It's located closer to the main part of campus, and you wouldn't have the schlepp yourself up that hill to be in that main campus area. If, however, you'll be spending most of your time in the athletic facilities, the Silver Cloud might work better, since the athletic complex is "down below". What sport is your son playing?
    · Reply · Share
  • PrimetimeMomPrimetimeMom 420 replies6 threads Junior Member
    At UCLA I recommend the W Hotel (formerly the Westwood Marquis). It's practically on campus. It's a gorgeous hotel. www.whotels.com
    · Reply · Share
  • ValleymomValleymom 18 replies14 threads Junior Member
    In Tucson we like the Universtity Park Marriott. It's practically on the campus.
    · Reply · Share
  • dmd77dmd77 8597 replies66 threads Senior Member
    I was going to mention the Marriott in Tucson as well. Very nice hotel and perfect location. Not to mention the key factor from my husband's point of view: the Starbucks is next door.

Despite living in the Seattle area, I have no idea where to stay near the U. I like the Sheraton downtown though, and the Alexis--both located conveniently downtown--and near Pike Place Market, which is fun to explore--and quite nice. A lot depends on what you're planning to do when you're not on campus!
    · Reply · Share
  • sacsac 1528 replies19 threads Senior Member
    Lucky you! I'm jealous.

Do you like B and Bs? Nice one in the bottom of Santa Monica Canyon, at the beach and not far from UCLA. I think it's called Channel Road Inn.

A couple of decades ago we stayed at a B and B in Corvallis. I just looked and it might be the Harrison House. Could be under different ownership but the dining room looks familiar.
    · Reply · Share
  • jessetfanjessetfan 579 replies9 threads Member
    Just a warning for LA, stay away from a place called the Furama, they have really good prices, but overall it is one of the worst hotels I have ever been in.
    · Reply · Share
    Thank you all! I too like the Seattle Sheraton but for this I think I want to be closer to campus; so I will look into all of these suggestions--you just saved me several hours on the internet etc.!

Moominmama, it is baseball. Unfortunately with our weather getting in games is proving to be quite a challenge. We have just broken the all-time record for number of rainy days in March (old record was 23, we are at 24 either today or tomorrow, when it is also going to rain
    :( .....) I am therefore looking forward to Tucson the most!
    · Reply · Share
  • itstoomuchitstoomuch . 1727 replies18 threads Senior Member
    In Corvallis, Holiday Inn Express. Few blocks to downtown, on west bank of Willamette River and balconys. Brand name and reputation.
    · Reply · Share
    Well, I hope it'll be sunny (warm is too much to hope for) when your son's team plays in Seattle:)
    · Reply · Share
  • avoidingworkavoidingwork 766 replies20 threads Member
    For Seattle, my S and I had a great stay at the Watertown Hotel when we visited UW. It is 'hip-modern', walking distance to campus. We had good weather, so used their bike rentals. I also used their tech-cart, so we had internet access and a computer in the room. http://www.watertownseattle.com/
    · Reply · Share
    I just wanted to post an update on this thread since other parents may need hotels in these areas as they do college searches.

I had to pass on a trip to Corvallis as I had a work conflict; however, just got back from Tucson, and a stay at the University Marriott and it was great! The area around the hotel is lovely with lots of nice little shops and cafes/restaurants as well as Starbucks and right on the edge of campus. Particularly nice on the balmy evenings.

BTW, the name of the hotel my friend likes (her S is a senior at U of A) is the Arizona Inn, and it is close to the university too. I actually stayed one night at the Four Points Sheraton, which is also on the edge of campus, because the Marriott was full on my arrival day. The room was fine, and quiet, but the hotel was pretty dilapidated, stained rugs and dark halls, so I think that the Marriott is far nicer of the two.

Next up in May is Seattle. The team stays at the Silver Cloud Inn, so H (we have to take turns on these trips as our Ds have weekend games/etc.) is going to stay at the University Inn; all 3 of the U of W-area suggestions looked great, hard to choose (I also usually take a look at TripAdvisor although it is hard to judge the accuracy of the comments, but they were positive for the most part). Thanks so much!
    · Reply · Share
This discussion has been closed.

Recent Activity