right arrow
Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
We’ve got a new look! Walk through the key updates here.

Vacation reading?

Replies to: Vacation reading?

• patientpatient 1403 replies55 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 1,458 Member
    There was an article about the Tannen book in the NY Times I think. I read it right after I had had one of those discussions with one of my own daughters, and it brought back all of the similar ones I had with my own mother....

I remember that the reviews of The Namesake were not as favorable as for Interpreter of Maladies. But I enjoyed the novel quite a bit...some of it may have been the Cambridge setting, though...and I feel that her prose is so effortlessly easy to read.

I like the guided reading concept!
    · Reply · Share
  • cangelcangel 4054 replies73 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 4,127 Senior Member
    I would be interested in recs about books set in modern India, especially those related to culture, family life.
    WARNING: I have the attention span of a Nematode, and my taste in reading generally runs more toward the 14 year old boy thread than this one.
    Any suggestions?
    · Reply · Share
  • overseasoverseas 2872 replies53 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 2,925 Senior Member
    How about Born Confused by Tanuja Desai Hidier--the Indian-American tale. It is checked out quite frequently.
    · Reply · Share
  • m&sdadm&sdad 1188 replies13 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 1,201 Member
    Overseas,

I read "Kavalier and Clay" and had a hard time putting it down. May be the subject matter: I was a huge comic book geek as a kid and knew a fair amount of the history of the golden age of comics. There are some graphic scenes that would make it unsuitable for early teens.

My 13 year old son just finished Chabon's "Summerland", another book with a baseball tie in. He loved it.

I have followed Chabon since he signed the megabucks contract for "Mysteries of Pittsburgh"; the news coincided with our arrival in Pittsburgh almost twenty years ago.
    · Reply · Share
  • audiophileaudiophile 2485 replies133 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 2,618 Senior Member
    I'm with overseas on Kavalier & Clay. I loved the subject matter and thought the first half of the book was brilliant, but went downhill quickly. Put it down with 100 pages or so to go and never picked it back up.

As far as recommendations, I prefer my novels humorous & a little quirky. One of my all time favorites is "Confederacy of Dunces". Recent reads that I enjoyed include "The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night Time" (can be read in a single sitting), "Mailman: a Novel" and "Drop City".
    · Reply · Share
  • jasmomjasmom 1116 replies37 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 1,153 Senior Member
    I was delighted by Kavalier & Clay, thought it was just amazing, one of those books that resonated in my mind after completion. Enjoyed Confederacy of Dunces. Currently reading "In Search of Memory" by Kandel, surprisingly readable autobiographical account of neurobiological/cognitive research.
    · Reply · Share
  • beprepnbeprepn 810 replies19 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 829 Member
    Wild Swans. 3 generations of Chinese women.
    · Reply · Share
  • wharfrat2wharfrat2 1021 replies25 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 1,046 Senior Member
    Here's a list of some of my favorites:

A Confederacy of Dunces John Kennedy Toole
    A Prayer for Owen Meany John Irving

These 4 are all by Larry McMurtry
    Lonesome Dove
    The Last Picture Show
    Texasville
    Duane's Depressed

Sometimes A Great Notion Ken Kesey

John Adams David McCullough (sp?)

A Theory of War Joan Brady
    · Reply · Share
  • emeraldkity4emeraldkity4 34785 replies1076 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 35,861 Senior Member
    I did like A fine Balance by Rohintron Minstry- but it isn't really about "modern" India- but Ghandi's India of 30 years ago

I also really enjoyed my first graphic novel ( if you don't count Tintin)
    Persepolis- Marjane Satrapi's wise, funny, and heartbreaking memoir of growing up in Iran during the Islamic Revolution. But you could read it in one sitting

I didn't even try to read Dan Browns books- picked them up and put them down
    I do enjoy essays- and read yearly the new entries in the Best American Science & Nature writing essays and the Best american Travel writing- essays are about my attention span for vacation.

Did you already read the "god of small things"? by Arundhati Roy?
    recommended author even if you aren't interested in her non fiction political works

The 20th wife has also been highly recommended to me although I haven't read it yet by Indu Sundaresan but it takes place in 17th century India

The Mistress of Spices takes place in the Indian community but in California by Chitra Divakaruni
    · Reply · Share
  • NYMomof2NYMomof2 5722 replies303 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 6,025 Senior Member
    wharfrat2, I was happy to learn from your post that Joan Brady is still writing! I read her autobiography, The Unmaking of a Dancer, years ago, and have re-read it several times. I hadn't known that she kept writing after The Imposter, which I didn't like. I'm glad she's found success. She had a very difficult early life.
    · Reply · Share
  • maineparentmaineparent 895 replies3 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 898 Member
    Cangel,
    it is not contemporary India by any stretch of the imagination, but you mention liking the 14 yr boy suggested reading list, so I will lob out the book "Flashman: The Flashman Papers 1839 -1842" by George Macdonald Fraser. Fun series....
    Then of course, "The Jewel in the Crown" is the first in the series by Paul Scott.....it was on public television years ago....but it is also a great read.
    · Reply · Share
  • CC AdminCC Admin 29515 replies2964 discussionsAdministrator Posts: 32,479 Senior Member
    My husband loves all the Flashman books, as do my sons...
    Our book group just read a collection of short stories about India...I wasn't there, but will try to track down the title. Everyone enjoyed them....

If you can do with something lengthier...a lot lengthier////

A Suitable Boy- Vikram Seth- is one of my favorite books, ever...and is one book that after finishing all ?900 pages of I was so sad to put down...it was 'like butter' as my mom used to say!
    · Reply · Share
  • cheerscheers 5054 replies109 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 5,163 Senior Member
    I adore Rohinton Mistry--but soooo need help understanding the Indian political meanings. We need a book club!

I loved Didion's Year of magical Thinking. Deliberate reference to the magic Mountain, perhpas? In any event, she captured the slowness of time caught short by death. Marvelous.

Also loved Suitable Boy.

Cannot remember anything from Dan Brown's books though I read them. (Instant memory loss is my brain's method of sorting the good from the bad).

You all might like

One Man's Bible by Gao Xingjian

Snow by Orhan Pamuk

The Cairo Trilogy by Nagib Mahfouz

My Invented Country by Isabel Allende

Living to Tell the Tale by Gabriel Garcia Marquez
    · Reply · Share
  • suzesuze 4433 replies46 discussions- Posts: 4,479 Senior Member
    Sex and the Seasoned Woman, Gail Sheehey, was keepimng ,my mother's bookgroup (and my stepdad) pretty busy while I was home on break!
    · Reply · Share
  • klcklc 240 replies1 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 241 Junior Member
    My favorite thing!

Quick reply would be YEAR OF WONDER, APRIL 1865, KATHARINE GRAHAM's PERSONAL HISTORY and yes! WILD SWANS is amazing and i loved RED TENT!

May think of more later, i'm off to the last evening of the last performance of my DD... so thanx for getting my mind of my list of lasts!
    · Reply · Share
This discussion has been closed.

Recent Activity