right arrow
Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
We have changed the way we log in on College Confidential. Read more here.

Window treatments

lia_blia_b 308 replies72 threads Member
I am looking to install roman shades on my living room bay window. We were about to order from an online site and then we got cold feet when we were doing the measurements. We have an old house and have never put anything on these particular windows. We were not sure there would be enough room on the frame to hang these from. Anyhow, DH suggested we get a professional to come and measure. However, I want to keep it affordable. I am wondering if JC Penney, Sears or Lowe's have this type of service (measuring and installing) . If so, I would love to hear from anyone that has used it?. We have purchased off the rack from Lowes and Sears, for example, but never used their custom order service.
32 replies
· Reply · Share

Replies to: Window treatments

• WellspringWellspring 1533 replies9 threads Senior Member
    I had custom roman shades made and installed by Calico Corner. They did a great job. I usually make all my own window treatments but I didn't want to take on roman shades. I don't know if they offer just installation or measuring but they might be able to point you in the right direction.
    · Reply · Share
  • jshainjshain 5807 replies54 threads Senior Member
    I like Smith and Noble if they are in your region. They offer free decorator service but I would try to get their 30% off promotion.
    · Reply · Share
  • VeryHappyVeryHappy 18620 replies326 threads Senior Member
    I come from the other extreme. I've never met a window treatment that I like.
    · Reply · Share
  • abasketabasket 19725 replies878 threads Senior Member
    @lia_b , we have used Lowe's to measure and to order custom shades. They charge a few for coming out to measure ($40???) - the key is to have them come out and measure ANY windows that you think you might order treatments for at some point. Even if you're not planning on replacing them in the near future. Each time they come out to measure it's another $40 (or whatever the current fee is). So take advantage of that one trip. We then did order our custom shades from them. That was a bit of a fiasco (they ordered the wrong size and style - ugh) but in the end, they made everything right and the installer did a great job. The installer was a local independent guy who contracts with Lowe's. We too have an older house with not off-the-shelf window sizes. I was too nervous to rely on our measuring to really feel it would be an accurate fit. The install was another fee - I think $99 for however many we had (so whether one or six - same fee) - I THINK anyway! Well worth it.
    · Reply · Share
  • BunsenBurnerBunsenBurner 39151 replies470 threads Senior Member
    I like drapes. If I get tired of them or if they get ruined, I replace them. Blinds, roman shades... not very compatible with some cats. :)

Costco sells window treatments in our neck of the woods - contracted via a company that does windows. I'm sure they can come out and measure. I would call around and ask.
    · Reply · Share
  • abasketabasket 19725 replies878 threads Senior Member
    I'd be interested to know if anyone has used Costco and how their prices have been.
    · Reply · Share
  • lia_blia_b 308 replies72 threads Member
    I am also wondering about Costco. I didn't know they had this service. So far Smith and Noble seems like a good option with designer and measuring services. There is a Calico Corners by me but not good reviews with customer service at that location. I also get the impression they might be a bit less affordable than what I am looking for.

I have also used drapes/valances mostly because it is easier and I can change it up. I have cheaper off the rack honeycomb shades on the other windows and I also have cats and they have clawed my honeycomb shades. Not horribly, but I can see it. It does make me nervous. The honeycomb windows are usually down for privacy and easier for them to reach, so will keep using cheaper shades on these. However, these other windows would have the roman shades rolled 3/4 or 1/2 up in a permanent position. I want to add some formality to the room. Our kids are grown now and we are transitioning to a more grown up type of living room. At least trying : )
    · Reply · Share
  • thumper1thumper1 75544 replies3311 threads Senior Member
    I'm with VH. It's so much easier to NOT cover the windows...and so nice and bright.
    · Reply · Share
  • NYMomof2NYMomof2 5724 replies304 threads Senior Member
    I'm in the middle - I find elaborate window treatments (lot of fabric, any drapes) depressing. We have a 1920's house with large (mostly 36" x 54") 8 over 8 windows, with beautiful molding. I have used only very simple valances, sometimes with "shades" underneath (sheer fabric that gathers when lifted, and has a curved shape), and tortoise roman shades in one room. I've ordered shades from Smith and Noble and they've been great. I did have them measure and hired someone to install.
    · Reply · Share
  • BunsenBurnerBunsenBurner 39151 replies470 threads Senior Member
    I like simple, lightweight drapes that go on a wooden rods (via tab-tops or rings) and can be moved easily. I agree that museum-like velvet drapery is depressing.
    · Reply · Share
  • MommaJMommaJ 5580 replies189 threads Senior Member
    Was the online site Blinds.com? I've never used them, but hear their ads on Sirius XM all the time. They offer videos on their website showing how to measure and replace product for free if it doesn't fit, so it there would be no need for cold feet. They can refer you to a local pro for measuring if you feel insecure about doing it yourself, plus they have a live chat function on their website, where I would guess they could tell you how much space on the frame is needed for a particular style. I've been thinking about using them for a while, so if anyone has had experience with Blinds.com, please post!
    · Reply · Share
  • Classof2015Classof2015 4190 replies189 threads Senior Member
    I used Blinds.com recently and was very happy (after trying to use 3 Day Blinds and they lost my order). The man came to measure then came back to install. I was doing faux-wood blinds for a narrow bathroom window in a rental (every other window already had blinds). Very affordable too.
    · Reply · Share
  • NYMomof2NYMomof2 5724 replies304 threads Senior Member
    I like simple, lightweight drapes as you describe, too, BunsenBurner, but there is not one room in this house where I could use them. Every room has something below at least one window (window seat, radiator with cover) that makes long drapes impossible. And I've been told that drapes that go only to the window sill are beyond the pale!
    · Reply · Share
  • somemomsomemom 10881 replies325 threads Senior Member
    I used blinds.com for my one blind and a local person for my only other window covering, the only two areas one can see into the house from the road. The rest of the house has no window coverings at all, I like it, though some guest have found it to be odd. Occasionally I would like my bedroom windows covered, mainly when I am sick and it is very sunny, but with vaulted ceilings I am not even sure how to tastefully cover those huge windows!
    · Reply · Share
  • jshainjshain 5807 replies54 threads Senior Member
    We had a Costco decorator come out the same time we had a Smith and Noble decorator. Smith and Nobles pricing, warranty, and decorator expertise was better. Costco subcontracts with Hunter Douglas, if memory serves me right.
    · Reply · Share
  • cnp55cnp55 3650 replies152 threads Senior Member
    I've used a local window treatment company -- the kind with a storefront and the owner behind the counter. Very happy with the price and the service. They came out and measured, then gave me three different options with complete explanations about the difference, took my order, came out and installed. I would absolutely use them again ... actually I did because they did a condo we own, and then blinds for our east facing bedrooms in our own home.
    · Reply · Share
  • KajonKajon 4349 replies130 threads Senior Member
    My Mom used http://www.budgetblinds.com/window-shades/roman-shades/ because a) she didn't want to spend too much and b) she wanted someone to come out to the house to measure and bring samples. She was quite pleased. The name itself scares me off, but they look good.

If you go with JC Penney, make sure to wait for a sale.
    · Reply · Share
  • bookwormbookworm 8979 replies72 threads Senior Member
    After 15+ years in my house, I decided to redo valences in my bedroom. I bought fabric at a local store which discounts (but I stopped in often to look at new samples). I used a local woman, e.g. the kind cnp55 recommended. She has 2 stores next to each other, a tea house and the wallpaper/blinds/drapes on the other side. The design is simple. My friend had used her services for blinds and some decorating. She has great taste.

All the other windows have shades. I replaced the ones in bedroom with faux wood 2" ones from Home Depot, which look a lot better than the skinny aluminum ones in the other bedrooms. At some point, I'd like to change the blinds and the gathered valences in those bedrooms to the BB&B ones with tabs. Pottery Barn has nice drapes and valences too, but more $$$.

If $ was not an issue, I'd have that woman out to do the rest of the windows.
    · Reply · Share
  • thumper1thumper1 75544 replies3311 threads Senior Member
    We have very plain tab curtains in three of our bedrooms. We have no curtains in our bedroom, any bathrooms, the kitchen and family room. All look out on the woods. We have very lightly valances in our living room and dining room. No blinds anywhere.

But we live in the middle of the woods. And we love having the light shining in all the time.
    · Reply · Share
  • worrywartworrywart 1679 replies104 threads Senior Member
    I just received a lovely custom roman shade from an Etsy vendor. As reasonably priced as ready made but in my choice of fabric and custom fit to my window.
    · Reply · Share
This discussion has been closed.

Recent Activity