right arrow
Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
We’ve got a new look! Walk through the key updates here.

?Another college drinking death?

Replies to: ?Another college drinking death?

• cangelcangel 4054 replies73 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 4,127 Senior Member
    Now you understand why I just became ill when i read it.

The other incident I referred to is one of those unpublicized 300 deaths. Young man of legal age, had been drinking, fell down a flight of steps at college and died - not as horrific as this terrible thing, but just as sad.
    · Reply · Share
  • citygirlsmomcitygirlsmom 12783 replies375 discussions- Posts: 13,158 Senior Member
    I heard about this young man, fooling around with friends, drinking involved, feel 4 floors, was in a coma, and has a long recovery ahead

so sad
    · Reply · Share
  • weenieweenie 5444 replies349 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 5,793 Senior Member
    Perhaps the "small fraction" 0f 300 that make the big news tend to be about kids from "top tier" schools. A kid dying at a non-flagship state school or third tier LAC isn't going to make the news. Sad.
    · Reply · Share
  • xiggixiggi 24569 replies872 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 25,441 Senior Member
    Weenie, I think it does make the news but does not get national attention. One solution would be to compel the schools to maintain a national database. However, one difficulty is that the accidents/incidents do not fall into the same category. For example is there a student drinking at school and falling from stairs and another drinking at a bar outside campus and dying in a car accident? Groups that are interested in maintaining the STATUS QUO like to separate the issues and make the deaths of students from alcohol abuses a trivial matter.

On the small school, here's a story that dates from 2004. The student who died was the son of my sister's science teacher. The last words in the quoted text are ominous.
    LAS CRUCES — The alcohol-poisoning death of a New Mexico State University student raises questions about the cultural tolerance of drinking on college campuses and in fraternities and sororities nationwide.
    While drinking on campus is nothing new, it leads to scores of deaths and other problems each year.
    Steve Judd died Nov. 19 after a night of binge drinking with his fraternity brothers to celebrate his 21st birthday.
    Four other college students, at universities in Colorado, Oklahoma and Arkansas, have died of alcohol poisoning this semester. Three of those were fraternity related. One death took place during a fraternity initiation; two others occurred after heavy drinking at fraternity parties.
    As a result of the death at the University of Oklahoma, school officials banned drinking in fraternities and residence halls.
    Drinking among college students is a widespread problem. According to the federal government, 1,400 college students between the ages of 18 and 24 die each year from alcohol-related injuries — most involving motor vehicle accidents.
    Police consider Judd’s death a result of his own bad choices, but are also investigating the two bars he and his friends visited that night to determine whether too much alcohol was served. In addition, NMSU is investigating whether any action is warranted against anyone, including the Delta Chi fraternity, and whether any policies need revision.
    Judd’s father said there is plenty of guilt to go around: His son made the choice to drink too much, fraternity brothers didn’t stop him, and the bars may have overserved him.
    “If he can make such a stupid mistake that cost him his life,” Steven Judd Sr. said, “it can happen to any kid.”

Most of the links do not longer work, but the news was picked up on a regional basis.

http://kobtv.com/index.cfm?viewer=storyviewer&id=15134&cat=SW_NEWMEXICO
    http://www.nmsu.edu/~ucomm/Releases/2005/February/juddrelease.html
    · Reply · Share
  • jym626jym626 54622 replies2834 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 57,456 Senior Member
    When I saw this yesterday from the U of Wisconsin-Madison, I first thought it was kinda clever (witty) http://www.dailycardinal.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=400&Itemid=57
    as it was an April Fools joke. Now, in light of all these tragic incidents, including the drug/alcohol death at the U of GA a month or so ago, it isn't so funny after all....
    · Reply · Share
  • jerseygirl11jerseygirl11 2 replies0 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 2 New Member
    i think it's very ignorant to jump to conclusions about this tragedy being related strictly to alcohol. it's just creating negative gossip when in reality, there is a very good chance it was something out of his control and not 'some college student being irresponsible.' so before you go around throwing out statistics and saying parents are failing their children... why don't you cool it and wait to hear what actually happened.
    · Reply · Share
  • citygirlsmomcitygirlsmom 12783 replies375 discussions- Posts: 13,158 Senior Member
    Missing student's body found in landfill

TRENTON, N.J., April 25 (UPI) -- Investigators said Tuesday that a body found in a Pennsylvania landfill appears likely to be that of a New Jersey college student who vanished last month.
    John Fiocco Jr., 19, a student at the College of New Jersey in Ewing, had been drinking when he was last seen. Traces of his blood were found in a dumpster outside his dorm.
    After days of fruitless searching in the a landfill in Tullytown, a few miles from the college on the other side of the Delaware River, police found human remains Tuesday, KYW News Radio in Philadelphia reported.
    The body was not positively identified as Fiocco's. But an uncle, Joseph Fiocco, released a statement in which the family thanked police, other officials and volunteers and said they had been "deeply blessed" to have the young man as long as they did.
    Police have not released a cause of death. There had been speculation that the young man, under the influence of alcohol, either got into a trash chute in the dorm or was pushed into one.

(from all accounts drinking was involved and the student had to be helped to his room....)
    · Reply · Share
  • jym626jym626 54622 replies2834 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 57,456 Senior Member
    uh oh-- I think we have a new ****....
    · Reply · Share
    or someone who hasn't read all the articles, the news, and statistics, but whatever

this is really sad that the body was found, but I guess it gives closure, whatever that means
    · Reply · Share
  • soozievtsoozievt 31369 replies371 discussionsRegistered User, ! Posts: 31,740 Senior Member
    Tragic. Horrific. Cannot imagine what his parents are dealing with.

I obviously don't know enough about it but from the little bit presented here....a mix of alcohol and pranks/horseplay is a deadly mix. I think young people feel invincable and then drinking clouds any intelligent judgement even more.
    · Reply · Share
  • walkinghomewalkinghome 7443 replies296 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 7,739 Senior Member
    weenie,
    Just wanted to agree with xiggi that the story of John Fiocco's tragedy has gotten widespread coverage here in Southeastern PA. It's being covered on all the Phil. tv stations and in the Phil. Inquirer. Not as much up my way (I'm about an 1 1/2 north of Philly) but definately in the Philadelphia area.
    · Reply · Share
  • garlandgarland 15869 replies197 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 16,066 Senior Member
    According to today's STar-Ledger, there is talk that it is being treated as a homocide. Call me a **** if you like, but I think before we assume that the young man, having been drinking or not, was responsible for his death, we should wait and find out what happened.
    · Reply · Share
  • soozievtsoozievt 31369 replies371 discussionsRegistered User, ! Posts: 31,740 Senior Member
    Garland, I agree, that is why I was mentioning the possible horseplay or pranks....possibly mixed with alcohol...and possibly leading to a deadly mix either accidental or intentional. I don't know what happened but in any of these scenarios, it is pretty horrific with deadly consequences.
    · Reply · Share
  • momnipotentmomnipotent 610 replies52 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 662 Member
    Can I homeschool my DD for college?
    · Reply · Share
This discussion has been closed.

Recent Activity