right arrow
Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
We’ve got a new look! Walk through the key updates here.

?Another college drinking death?

Replies to: ?Another college drinking death?

• cavalier302cavalier302 4293 replies50 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 4,343 Senior Member
    Yea, jym, that makes sense. Comparing the kid who hasn't even touched alcohol in close to two months (because he's had other things to do) to the kid who boasted of being able to drink more than anyone he knew make a lot of sense. Bravo. Your post exemplifies the CC parent mentality.
    · Reply · Share
  • jym626jym626 54620 replies2834 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 57,454 Senior Member
    c-
    Why exactly do you have such a giant chip on your shoulder? There is no reason for hostility, cav.
    · Reply · Share
  • cavalier302cavalier302 4293 replies50 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 4,343 Senior Member
    C-? Are you grading posts?

I don't have a chip on my shoulder so much as an astonishment at the ubiquity of the opinion among the parents here that any and all alcohol consumption among youth is bad and dangerous. And that any who defend its use are headed down a dangerous path. And that tragedies like the one noted in the OP were surely caused by alcohol. And by the response against the person who said that it might not have had anything to do with alcohol. Etc, etc, etc. Drinking is bad, sure. And yes, many kids have dangerous drinking habits. But most don't. In fact, for most, drinking on weekends is a way to unwind, loosen up and have fun. But not on CC. Oh well.
    · Reply · Share
  • citygirlsmomcitygirlsmom 12783 replies375 discussions- Posts: 13,158 Senior Member
    Did we ever say ALL alcoholic consumption..show me where...We are discussing the binge drinking that through surveys of college students, appears to be on the increase

The C- is an abbreviation for cavalier302 btw

If you don't drink to excess, good for you...this is for those that do
    · Reply · Share
    Did we ever say ALL alcoholic consumption..show me where

The attitude that I perceive the parents to have is that alcohol consumption by college students, particularly by those under the age of 21, is a great evil. Any mention of a party or drinking or related behavior garners all kinds of posts expressing shock that college students would engage in such behavior. It's really a unique outlook that I only see on CC.
    · Reply · Share
  • NonAbsoluteNonAbsolute 43 replies2 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 45 Junior Member
    Mini--

Yes, I am suggesting that low income students at the top schools fall into the heavy drinking category. However, it is the reverse at the majority of colleges where the lower income students are by far more moderate in their drinking habits. Obviously, this is just a generalization and there are plenty of individual students (low and high income) who do not fall into the excess drinking category.

The cost of alcohol has very little to do with who ends up drinking heavily. Alcohol is available in large quantities and for free three nights a week (frat parties, off-campus house parties, and club/team social events). Whoever hosts the party provides the alcohol, and if it is an open event than anyone is welcome to "mooch". Your analysis is a little more accurate in terms of drug use--it is much more common for middle to upper class students to use "hard drugs" (I'm excluding marijuana) because of the prohibitive nature of the prices.
    · Reply · Share
    NonAbsolute, the only hard drugs I've heard of being used around here are coke and X. What others are typically used nationwide? I can't see something like crystal meth having any appeal. Maybe pharmaceuticals, though.
    · Reply · Share
  • jym626jym626 54620 replies2834 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 57,454 Senior Member
    C-? Are you grading posts?
    hahahahahah
    C- Thats an abbreviation for your name.
    instead of writing "cavalier", since we abbreviate things to letters here, and as I commonly do with other posters, I abbreviated-- cgm is citigirlsmom, mowc is momofwildchild, and you, m'dear are "c". But, I kinda like your explanation better.

And really, just for the record, as cgm said above, we aren't the ones overgeneralizing....
    · Reply · Share
    Whatever you say.
    · Reply · Share
    The attitude that I perceive the parents to have is that alcohol consumption by college students, particularly by those under the age of 21, is a great evil. Any mention of a party or drinking or related behavior garners all kinds of posts expressing shock that college students would engage in such behavior. It's really a unique outlook that I only see on CC.
    C-
    This is not at ALL what we parents are saying. I drank in college, and I know my s drinks. In fact, I have helped him stock his liquor cabinet. There is a HUGE difference between responsible drinking and irresponsible, dangerous behavior.
    If you would like to continue to argue your point, please do so with someone else. I am bidding you a good night.
    · Reply · Share
  • NonAbsoluteNonAbsolute 43 replies2 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 45 Junior Member
    Cavalier,

You're right, both coke and exctasy are very common. Along with speed, meth, and I've seen a couple internationals do heroin. There's the usual problem of contraband ADD drugs as well, which basically fall in the same category as speed.
    Again, please don't think that I'm suggesting that everyone here does hard drugs. All I can say is that when I first came here I wanted to "fit in" to certain groups, and in the process of trying to do so, I realized that certain behaviors are much more prevalent in these groups than in others on campus.
    · Reply · Share
  • AlumotherAlumother 6109 replies130 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 6,239 Senior Member
    cavalier - show your mother this thread. At least let her have the chance to weigh in, to look you in the face and tell you she loves you and you cannot die young.
    · Reply · Share
    Why would she need to tell me that? I'm neither a practitioner nor an advocate of the dangerous behaviors that lead to death by intoxication.
    · Reply · Share
  • NJresNJres 5965 replies187 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 6,152 Senior Member
    I am reluctant to bring this particular thread back to the top, but this is an important continuation of the same topic.

The father of the deceased student thought the topic was important enough to bring up at his son's memorial service.
    But even angels have their flaws.

Fiocco's was alcoholism, his father, John Fiocco Sr., said yesterday during a celebration of life service in Fiocco's hometown of Mantua, Gloucester County.

During the two hour memorial service at The Church of the Incar nation, Fiocco Sr. told the crowd his hope in speaking of his son's alcoholism was that it might inspire at least one person with a drinking problem to get help.

Though it is not clear what role, if any, Fiocco's drinking played in his still unsolved death, his father said it was important to make his son's problem known.

http://www.nj.com/search/index.ssf?/base/news-3/1149395887285000.xml?starledger?nnj&coll=1
    · Reply · Share
    NJres-
    Thank you for taking the risk and bringing this back to our attention. The student's father is very brave to be willing to share his story, in the hopes that others may learn from his son's alcoholism.

Here in the South, a Ft. Benning soldier who'd just returned from Iraq and was about to get married was out with friends in Savannah for "a night of drinking". Unfortunately he had a bit too much to drink, opened the wrong door in a hotel hallway, believing it to be the stairwell, and was chopped up by air conditioner blades. Not a pleasant way to die. Here's the story: http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/12494679/

note in the article:
    "Police had not determined how Hornbeck got into the hotel maintenance area or what he was doing there. He was not a guest at the hotel. Blood toxicology tests were also being performed. Hornbeck’s father had previously said he suspects his son was intoxicated.

“I think maybe he’d in fact had too much to drink,” Kirk Hornbeck said. “He might’ve thought he was going out the right door to the outside and got turned around inside the building and ended up in the wrong spot.”

I repeat what I said above. There is a HUGE difference between responsible and irresponsible drinking. I hope the students and adults reading this will think twice when they drink. I know I do.
    · Reply · Share
This discussion has been closed.

Recent Activity