Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

?Another college drinking death?

cangelcangel Registered User Posts: 4,127 Senior Member
edited June 2006 in Parent Cafe
Just reading on FoxNews about the missing NJ college student. Starting to shape up like it might be a tragic drinking related event - still early but it gives me a chill.

Between the young man visiting UVa, the drunken hunting trip turned into "Let's burn something up", and a young man from our area who fell down the steps at the Univ of Al and broke his neck - it just makes me feel sick, sick at heart, and wondering how we are failing our kids.

I know this may become another anti-drinking anti-frat thread, but sorry, this one just finally got to me.
Post edited by cangel on

Replies to: ?Another college drinking death?

• cavalier302cavalier302 Registered User Posts: 4,343 Senior Member
    "wondering how we are failing our kids."

Indeed, the sky is falling.
  • minimini Registered User Posts: 26,431 Senior Member
    "I know this may become another anti-drinking anti-frat thread, but sorry, this one just finally got to me."

The moment it stops getting to us, there is a problem.
  • fendergirlfendergirl Registered User Posts: 4,757 Senior Member
    i don't think you, or any of the parents, failed their kids. i mean, i know parent after parent who try to do everything for their kids, and they still drink.. no matter what their parents have instilled in them.
  • citygirlsmomcitygirlsmom - Posts: 13,158 Senior Member
    http://www.cspinet.org/booze/collfact1.htm

S IT SERIOUS?

College presidents agree binge drinking is the most serious problem on campus.
    In 1999, Harvard University’s School of Public Health College Alcohol Study surveyed students at 119 colleges. Here are some of the findings:
    WHO BINGES?

44% of U.S. college students engaged in binge drinking during the two weeks before the survey.
    51% of the MEN drank 5 or more drinks in a row
    40% of the WOMEN drank 4 or more drinks in a row
    Students more likely to binge drink are white, age 23 or younger, and are residents of a fraternity or sorority. If they were binge drinkers in high school, they were three times more likely to binge in college.
    The percentage of students who were binge drinkers was nearly uniform from freshman to senior year, even though students under 21 are prohibited from purchasing alcohol.
    Over half the binge drinkers, almost one in four students, were frequent binge drinkers, that is, they binged three or more times in a two-week period. While one in five students reported abstaining from drinking alcohol.
    WHY?

Binge drinkers cited the following as important reasons for drinking:

Drinking to get drunk (cited by 47% of students who consumed alcohol)
    Status associated with drinking
    Culture of alcohol consumption on campus
    Peer pressure & academic stress
    WHAT EFFECTS?

A higher percentage of binge drinkers than non-binge drinkers reported having experienced alcohol-related problems since the beginning of the school year. Frequent binge drinkers were 21 times more likely than non-binge drinkers to have:

Missed class
    Engaged in unplanned sexual activity
    Fallen behind in school work
    Not used protection when having sex
    Damaged property
    Gotten in trouble with campus police
    Been hurt or injured
    Driven a car after drinking
    IMPACT ON OTHER STUDENTS

About three out of four students responding to the study reported experiencing at least one adverse consequence of another student’s drinking during the school year. At colleges with a high binge drinking rates:

71% had sleep or study interrupted
    23% had a serious argument
    57% had to take care of an intoxicated student
    16% had property damaged
    36% had been insulted or humiliated
    11% had been pushed, hit or assaulted
    23% had experienced an unwanted sexual
    1% had been the victim of a sexual advance Assault or "date rape"
    IMPLICATIONS OF THE SURVEY

Binge drinking is a widespread phenomenon on most college campuses, a problem that not only interferes with the mission of higher education but also carries with it serious risks of disease, injury, and death. Findings from the Harvard survey suggest that college and university administrators will want to intensify their search for new approaches to preventing both underage and binge drinking.

Updated March 2000
  • weenieweenie Registered User Posts: 5,793 Senior Member
    Here is a quote from Barrett Seaman's article in Time Magazine:
    When students are hospitalized--or worse yet, die from alcohol poisoning, which happens about 300 times each year--college presidents tend to react by declaring their campuses dry or shutting down fraternity houses.

300 deaths a year! We clearly only hear about a small fraction of them...
  • xiggixiggi Registered User Posts: 25,441 Senior Member
    "We clearly only hear about a small fraction of them..."

Because a lot of the stories are buried in local news and very few families who lost someone are willing to go through the ordeal and embarassment of sharing their pain publicly.
  • SouthJerseyChessMomSouthJerseyChessMom Registered User Posts: 3,851 Senior Member
    TCNJ has other things beyond drinking.
    John Fiocco did go to a party last Friday night, and returned to the dorm where he was seen in the hallway getting a drink of water, and appeared fine.

This is so horrific to report, on the heels of all the other tragedies!

But, somehow, yet to be determined he climbed into/ or fell/ or was pushed down a garbage chute on his 4th floor , and his body (I hate to write this) compacted and believed to be taken by the garbage trucks to a PA landfill. The landfill is being searched tomorrow.

NJ residents are glued to the TV and radio waiting to hear the outcome of the investigation of this absolutely heartbreaking story!
  • NorthstarmomNorthstarmom Registered User Posts: 24,853 Senior Member
    I feel so very sorry for his parents.
  • PrimetimeMomPrimetimeMom Registered User Posts: 426 Junior Member
    <<But, somehow, yet to be determined he climbed into/ or fell/ or was pushed down a garbage chute on his 4th floor , and his body (I hate to write this) compacted and believed to be taken by the garbage trucks to a PA landfill. The landfill is being searched tomorrow.>>

Oh no! What information did they get that makes this seem plausible? There is not much coverage on this in CA but a poster on another board I frequent knows the family and they are posting the students pic and are asking for any and all info that people may have :(
  • MomOFourMomOFour Registered User Posts: 538 Member
    The dumpster at the bottom of the chute had blood which was a DNA match. The landfill search was ongoing today. The big mystery is how he got into the chute. He was drinking off campus by the way and had to be helped back to his room. His friend put him to bed and that was the last anyone will acknowledge having seen him.
  • Faline2Faline2 Registered User Posts: 4,246 Senior Member
    terrible story...truth is indeed more mind-boggling and horrific than fiction. traumatic for their college and his friends and family beyond words.
  • SouthJerseyChessMomSouthJerseyChessMom Registered User Posts: 3,851 Senior Member
    ( On Phila News right now- and I am very sorry to update the rest of the nation about this)

Blood found from missing student
    Friday, March 31, 2006
    BY KEVIN SHEA AND ROBERT STERN
    THE TIMES OF TRENTON
    Forensic tests have confirmed that blood found in a trash bin on The College of New Jersey campus in Ewing this week is from John Fiocco Jr., the 19-year-old freshman missing since early Saturday, law enforcement sources said last night

In the Fiocco case, investigators may search a landfill in lower Bucks County, Pa. A portion of the landfill, in Tullytown, Pa., has been sectioned off to prevent more trash from being dumped there, a source said.

Officials at the company that hauls trash from the campus, Midco Waste Systems, and the landfill operator, Waste Management, could not be reached for comment.
  • NorthstarmomNorthstarmom Registered User Posts: 24,853 Senior Member
    That is so very sad.
  • PrimetimeMomPrimetimeMom Registered User Posts: 426 Junior Member
    Can anyone imagine anything more horrifying than your child's body in the trash. This is just too awful to imagine :(
This discussion has been closed.