right arrow
Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Many schools have delayed their deadlines for enrollment due to COVID-19. Check out our exclusive directory of extended deadlines we know about right now.
STUDENT GUEST OF THE WEEK: Ethan is a burgeoning tech enthusiast who got accepted into Harvard, Yale, Princeton, Duke, Brown. This week he's answering your questions on how to best craft your application and narrow down your college search/decision process. ASK HIM ANYTHING!
Concerned about how to pay for college amid COVID-19 economic changes? Join us for a webinar on Thu, Apr. 9 at 5pm ET. REGISTER NOW and let us know what questions you have and want answered.

What book(s) would pull my 15-year-old son back to reading?

1235»

Replies to: What book(s) would pull my 15-year-old son back to reading?

• MYOS1634MYOS1634 42583 replies461 threads Senior Member
    how about The passage, by Justin Cronin?
    · Reply · Share
  • YoHoYoHoYoHoYoHo 1970 replies31 threads Senior Member
    edited May 2014
    Many of the books that I would suggest have been listed already.
    Will only try to list new ones:.
    My DS likes humor AJ Jacobs: The know it all, the year of living biblically, my life as an experiment.
    Davinci Code
    City of Ember
    The Giver
    Flowers for Algernon
    edited May 2014
    · Reply · Share
  • bookmama22bookmama22 2285 replies0 threads Senior Member
    Lots of good recommendations here. I have two daughters, older now but both were very strong readers and both around age 15 fell in love with The Lord of the Rings trilogy. I had tried to push The Hobbit on older d a few years before but she couldn't get into it.

Going out on a limb here but I am also going to suggest true classics such as Tale of Two Cities and The Count of Monte Cristo. Also The Scarlet Pimpernel.. great reads.
    · Reply · Share
  • jedwards70jedwards70 268 replies1 threads Junior Member
    Ok, there were already some amazing suggestions (Terry Pratchett, Neil Gaiman, Patrick Rothfuss). Here are a couple that weren't on the list: Cinder (Lunar series) by Marissa Meyer, Legend by Marie Lu, and The Rook by Daniel O'Malley. The Rook will grab him from the first minute.

I also agree with the graphic novel suggestion. My son reads them almost every night. I know they aren't on most people's radar as "great novels" but at least they are reading.

Audiobooks are another blessing. We are in the car quite a bit and listen to them all the time to while away the time. Books that might have been boring as written can sometimes come to life with a great narrator. I would highly suggest the audiobook version of The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy.
    · Reply · Share
  • HImomHImom 35429 replies396 threads Senior Member
    Orson Scott Card, Ender series was enjoyed by S at that age. Redwall series was also enjoyed. D loved classics which were illustrated as comics--same plot and vocabulary, just lots of cartoons to move the story along. Our public library had them-- D read them in comic format then re-read the classic books. Dune series, Star Wars series were also popular with our kids.
    · Reply · Share
  • HuntHunt 26787 replies131 threads Senior Member
    Going out on a limb here but I am also going to suggest true classics such as Tale of Two Cities and The Count of Monte Cristo.
    Sometimes things that we remember as great reads may not seem so great to kids of today. I remember, for example, thinking that "Last of the Mohicans" was a great read--until I took a look at it more recently. It's really, really long, and the writing style is very old-fashioned. So don't be disappointed if a kid--especially one who doesn't read a lot--can't get into something like The Count of Monte Cristo.

I used to read all the Edgar Rice Burroughs books (Tarzan and others), and my son read and enjoyed them also. They aren't exactly great literature, but they are fun.
    · Reply · Share
  • bookwormbookworm 9169 replies73 threads Senior Member
    I've given Roald Dahl books to 2 boys in elementary school. Costco had a set of 12 of his famous books. While Matilda and The Witches may be too young, he has books for older children. Some of these were used in a former TV series. The stars of these books were generally HS kids.
    · Reply · Share
  • UltimabladeUltimablade 471 replies114 threads Member
    Hate to revive such an old thread but, any reviews on the books?
    · Reply · Share
This discussion has been closed.

Recent Activity