Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Need advice on Cover Letter

2»

Replies to: Need advice on Cover Letter

• JustaMomJustaMom Registered User Posts: 2,731 Senior Member
    OP - check your library - ours offers free online access to Lynda.com which has extensive Quickbooks training - also, I have found that my "transferable skills" have resulted in many more responses to my job search than before I added that - some examples from my own (architecture and urban design based - having come from a purely financial based background):

10+ years experience with a professional services firm as an Office Manager / Marketing
    Director. Past work history of stability, dependability, accountability and flexibility. References
    available.
    Advanced proficiency with MS Excel, Word, Outlook and Internet research; intermediate proficiency with
    InDesign and Photoshop.
    Extensive experience with multiple accounting software programs (A/P, A/R, payroll) and Deltek ERP database
    (Enterprise Resource Planning).
    Experience creating complex project estimates, sub-consultant agreements, contracts and project fees using
    Excel and Word.
    Experience with design and composition of graphically strong proposals, statements of qualifications,
    and fee proposals; superior editing and proofreading skills.
    Photography of project sites as well as contextual photography for character imagery.
    Research and compilation of information (historical and current) for use in proposal and client
    presentations.
    Strong organizational skills and keen attention to detail.
    Proven track record managing multiple tasks and priorities while meeting or exceeding deadlines.
    Excellent oral and written communication and interpersonal skills with a professional, friendly and
    outgoing demeanor; handle confidential information. Foster positive client relations.
    Ability to ask questions when appropriate, follow directions and determine priorities. Resourceful,
    independent worker and ability to exercise good judgment.
    Valid California driver's license, excellent driving record and own transportation / insurance that can
    be used on the job; flexibility to travel to job sites, local, out of state, and internationally, for client and sub-consultant
    meetings, site walks and pre-proposal workshops.
    Updating and organization of required annual professional Continuing Education units for a substantial
    number of state registrations.
    Supply ordering and negotiating with vendors as well as ensuring all equipment is in working order.
    Other qualifications and skills not described above as requested by management including executives,
    accounting and human resources.
  • conmamaconmama Registered User Posts: 4,320 Senior Member
    Good point Esobay! Plus, being an empty nester I am very flexible and my time is my own.

I do know that prior employers are only allowed to say you were employed there...but my supervisor did say he'd give me a recommendation, so I could use his personal cell if need be.

I really appreciate everyone's responses and will incorporate things you have mentioned into my cover letter for sure!!

aquote...thanks for what you've written! Reading what others have written definitely help quite a bit. T hanks for taking the time to do that.

Personally, I think this is a very young organization...and that they are probably looking for someone younger than I to grow with them. But, you never know and it's worth a shot.

In any case, it shows me I need to keep honing my skills for when things like this pop up. I am definitely going to check my library for any free software tutorials to work on after the boys go back to school. At least I can mention that I've been doing that sort of thing, so it at least makes me seem a bit self sufficient. It's very easy to get quite lazy when you are not pressed to find a job.

I'll let you know if I hear anything from them. I'll be pleasantly surprised if I do, but not shocked if I don't. The pay was REALLY good for parttime!
  • fendrockfendrock Registered User Posts: 3,189 Senior Member
    I wouldn't draw attention to your lack of Quickbooks knowledge by addressing it head on.

I would focus on what you have to offer.

If lack of Quickbooks is a non-starter, they will weed you out, regardless of what you say (and it probably isn't the right position for you in any case).
This discussion has been closed.