Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Need advice on Cover Letter

conmamaconmama Registered User Posts: 4,319 Senior Member
I haven't been aggressive in finding a PT job, especially with the holidays. I scour the websites a couple times a week, but don't really see anything I'm interested in, nor are there a lot out there either. I'm an accountant / financial analyst with an MBA, but not a CPA. Anyway, there is one I would highly consider, 20 hours a week, professional firm and pays quite well on an hourly basis. They want an accountant/office manager/executive assistant....I think someone to handle all that type of stuff including payroll. One of the requirements, was to be highly proficient in Quickbooks...which I know nothing about. I'm assuming for payroll. I have no problems learning new software systems. It sounds as if they want someone to come in hitting the floor running....but who knows if they will find what they are looking for...the requirements seemed extensive.

I'm going ahead and throwing my hat in the ring. I want to address my lack of experience with this software head on. Not sure how I should word that...my talents normally don't lean towards writing. Plus..from looking at their website they seem like a fairly young company, the founder is only 40...many of them seem to be younger than that.

My age will probably be a stick against me, but if you look at my LinkedIn profile, I think I could pass for late 40's. But I need something for Quickbooks within the cover letter like " I understand you are interested in someone with extensive Quickbook experience, and I appreciate that. However, I feel my extensive experience in various accounting and financial roles in a fast paced environment would be a major benefit to your firm. Although there would be a learning curve with Quickbooks, I am open to taking a course, and have confidence I can pick it up quickly.

Any other suggestions of what to mention concerning this, or phrase it differently?

Replies to: Need advice on Cover Letter

• 3bm1033bm103 Registered User Posts: 4,209 Senior Member
    Why don't you take the course now, just in case you don't get this one? If you already know payroll, you can probably find a quick one or two day course that will familiarize yourself with it. Also, you can point out in the cover letter thatt although you are not proficient in Quickbooks, you ARE proficient in similar programs, assuming that's true. I have used various programs for payroll and once you know one or two the others aren't a huge learning curve but that first is a doozy.
  • oldfortoldfort Registered User Posts: 23,005 Senior Member
    I think you should mention that you are a fast software learner and give one or two examples. You may even want to mention in the letter that you are already taking a course online.

As you know, when people post a position, they like to put down everything they would like in a candidate, but at the end of day they would be happy to get 70-80% of requirements. This is especially the case with young, inexperienced hiring managers. I usually advise people to list "must haves" and "nice to haves."

Before Thanksgiving, I started an intensive job interview process. There was one company that had me go through 4 rounds of interview. At one technical round, the interviewer asked me what software I used for risk management and PM. I literally told her that if they required me to use any software then clearly it wasn't the right job for me. The days of me actually being hands on were gone. To my surprise, they moved me to the next round and did make me an offer. After they talked to me they realized it wasn't the best use of my time. Good hiring managers will know what's important.

conmama - they should be lucky to get someone with your credential who would be happy to work for 20 hrs/week. If you were younger, you would be looking for a career, not a job. Go in with the attitude "You are lucky to have me." Good luck.
  • college_querycollege_query Registered User Posts: 4,514 Senior Member
    I would go to the intuit website and take some of the free tutorials they have available. You may discover the software is similar to something else you've used. Then craft your cover letter to say something like "while I have not used QuickBooks in a professional setting, I have used a similar software, X." You could also list the QuickBooks tutorials if you have a section on your resume where you list software/technical expertise.
  • eireanneireann Registered User Posts: 1,494 Senior Member
    Make sure you don't jump to conclusions about payroll software in the cover letter without knowing that that's what it's used for - we used QB to track money, reconcile the bank statements with money into our account, reconcile staff spending with their corporate cards, etc. I don't think Payroll is actually a big part of it. It's not complicated software, though - if you know any other financial software, I'm sure you could learn it.
  • abasketabasket Registered User Posts: 19,528 Senior Member
    I would also agree that you need to be a little more specific in what you DO know rather than convincing them you're willing to learn Quickbooks - the vast majority of people will be "willing to learn" for a new job - so that isn't really a stand out statement. Maybe share similar software programs you are proficient in so they can see that you have the abilities.

In preparation for the possibility of getting an interview, I would also look for some tutorials online to introduce you to Quickbooks. For one thing, that will give you an idea if you really can learn - and like - working with that system. And, then if you get an interview you can lightly talk about the program and show that you have some inklings to how it works, etc. - which will show interest, motivation and potential skill.

Good luck!
  • VeryHappyVeryHappy Registered User Posts: 18,577 Senior Member
    I don't like the phrase "I'd be open to learning . . . "

Instead, try "While I don't yet have an in-depth knowledge of QuickBooks, I expect to shortly. I am currently enrolled in a course called "xxxxxx," and I have extensive experience with [a similar product]. Specific knowledge of a program can always be acquired, but as an experienced professional, I can assure you I will perform all the duties of the job with excellence."

Or some such.
  • conmamaconmama Registered User Posts: 4,319 Senior Member
    Thanks guys...I did look to see if there are any classes in my area...there are for $750. Online they are about $350. I'm hesitant to shell out that money right now for a specific software program whicj I may or may not ever use, but I will look to see if there are any free ones. I've never done payroll. i don't have any extensive software knowledge other than a narrow amount here or there in any given position...other than word or excel. And what I did know, I've firgeotten. It's not hard to pick this stuff up for me, but of course they don't know that.

I'm sure they will find someone. I saw the listing by themselves and also through Robert Half, but who knows, right?

I'm never sure what to say now when someone asks me what I do. I don't want to say I've been laid off, but it just seems uncomfortable to say I'm retired. I think if that was voluntary, it wouldn't be. I've tried, oh, I'm not working right now but I'd like to find something PT. I'm in the angry part of my grief right now with the layoff.

I have received 2 emails from former coworkers, one my immediate supervisor, telling me I am missed. That makes me feel good, but so angry at the decision to let me go by the asshat who did.
  • SlackerMomMDSlackerMomMD Registered User Posts: 3,094 Senior Member
    edited December 2015
    I understand you are interested in someone with extensive Quickbook experience, and I appreciate that. However, I feel my extensive experience in various accounting and financial roles in a fast paced environment would be a major benefit to your firm. Although there would be a learning curve with Quickbooks, I am open to taking a course, and have confidence I can pick it up quickly.

I'm on a hiring committee at work (this is not a fun thing for me) and we've been through one entire round of not hiring anyone. The position description had everything we wanted which was not possible for any one person to have and be.

If payroll is a small part of the job, the firm may rather have your overall experience. But if the job is mainly payroll (say, 60% or more), then the firm may pass. I'd still apply because you never know.

I would tweak your letter a bit. Never put yourself down. Take out the word "extensive" Take out "and I appreciate that. However," Insert what you do know and how that relates to payroll/accounting/bookkeeping. That way, they see you do have technical knowledge and can learn on the job.

You may want to specify who's going to pay for the course, especially if you're paying for it. Otherwise you may come across as a person who just wants training in a marketable skill. (Committee members had expressed this concern about a couple of applicants)

Whatever you say about your current employment status, do not lie. One applicant did that and he pretty much lost the job on that one item. "Laid off" is perfectly valid and acceptable. Much better than "taking an educational and personal break"

Good luck!
  • conmamaconmama Registered User Posts: 4,319 Senior Member
    @SlackerMomMD ....is laid off really benign? I think it wouldn't be. I was a very knowledgeable and valued employee for years, and in my current position to the people I worked with directly. But prospective employers don't
    Know that. I would think they would assume I was subpar compared to my peers....that is why I got the axe instead.

The truth is I worked a reduced hourly schedule (making full time pay and benefits). I truly believe if I was FT I wouldn't have been let go with others...I had 28 years of very good reviews. But would YOU believe that? I have to admit I did toy with the idea of fudging the truth which would sound plausible.
  • SlackerMomMDSlackerMomMD Registered User Posts: 3,094 Senior Member
    I guess it's hard to say because I suspect we're in different fields. But given the employment ups and downs of the last decade, I don't think badly of people who are laid off.

I can say, the hiring committee was appalled when we all found out an applicant fudged his status Applicants have to fill out an application as well as send in a resume. The resume didn't reconcile with the application. He then updated one (I forget which) to say he was taking time off for personal and educational development. I think that may have been his way of avoiding saying he was laid off. It backfired big time. (There were other red flags, but that was the main thing).

One work around is to give a reference or two from your previous place (where you were laid off). If your immediate supervisor will be a reference, that will signal that the layoff wasn't due to your performance.
  • esobayesobay Registered User Posts: 1,333 Senior Member
    @conmama , being laid off is not a black mark. It used to be, but that was a long time ago. Since 2008, not so much. Part time jobs are hard to fill often, so I think you have a shot. Plus if you emphasize that you WANT part time and were part time, that will reassure them you want the job, not planning to bail when something full time comes along.
    Good luck!
  • oldfortoldfort Registered User Posts: 23,005 Senior Member
    Almost everyone I know have been laid off at one time or another.
  • abasketabasket Registered User Posts: 19,528 Senior Member
    If they mentioned Quickbooks exclusively as the software program they want experience in, then that must be pretty important to them. Of course you should not be running out tomorrow and signing up for a $700 QuickBooks course before you have an interview, but you can get an idea of the program by watching some YouTubes:
    https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=quickbooks+online+2015+tutorial+for+beginners

Again, see what you even think of this program - does it look like a program you want to spend a good portion of this potential job working with????

While you can sell yourself, keep your abilities realistic. You will be the new man on the totem pole in a new place and be a part-timer. You don't start with clout except for your abilities. So you want to make sure your abilities will allow for confidence in the job so you can build clout in the position.
  • intparentintparent Registered User Posts: 36,886 Senior Member
    edited December 2015
    Do you have experience in other accounting software (Peachtree, Lawson, etc)? Are you proficient with the Microsoft Office products? I'd state that you are proficient in those areas, and a quick study in picking up new tools. My guess is that you can get a book or two (is there Quickbooks for Dummies?) and be reasonably knowledgable before your first day. I use Quickbooks, switched from Peachtree a couple of years ago, Hardest thing I have dealt with is cash vs accrual basis, and getting the reprts to use the correct basis. I wouldn't mention the word Quickbooks -- just what you do know and that you are a quick study.
  • CCDD14CCDD14 Registered User Posts: 1,084 Senior Member
    If you have time and computing resources why not install a free demo? It may include tutorial or help.
    http://enterprisesuite.intuit.com/campaigns/dr/qbes-trial.jsp
This discussion has been closed.