Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Credit card fraud question

2»

Replies to: Credit card fraud question

• soccerguy315soccerguy315 Registered User Posts: 7,245 Senior Member
    strongly suggest that people that usually use debit cards use a credit card instead
  • twoinanddonetwoinanddone Registered User Posts: 21,856 Senior Member
    Yes, debit cards don't have the protections of federal law that credit cards do. Many banks give extra protections to debit cards, but they don't have to and when your account is drained you don't have the money during the dispute period. With a credit card you do.
  • HImomHImom Registered User Posts: 34,234 Senior Member
    I have rarely ever used debit cards--tried it to see if it worked and then used twice it in Canada. Tried it again to be sure it would work if I needed it in Korea (but didn't need it there).
  • greenwitchgreenwitch Registered User Posts: 8,646 Senior Member
    We've had a credit card be fraudulently used 3 times in the past 2 months! There was no card swiping device - apparently someone is running computer programs that just guess the numbers and then they use them for online purchases.

The problem with debit cards is that young people use them to access their checking accounts. It's impossible to just get a bank ATM card anymore, it's always a debit card. Young people establishing their credit may not have a cc to use instead.
  • CT1417CT1417 Registered User Posts: 4,331 Senior Member
    @greenwitch -- I imagine this must vary by bank, but when my bank reissued my ATM as a debit card, I went in and asked that the debit feature be removed and a new card issued as ATM only. My son has his account at same bank, same scenario, except that we knew to ask that the ATM card be issued w/o debit feature.
This discussion has been closed.