Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Credit card fraud question

deega123deega123 Registered User Posts: 689 Member
We just received a call that DD's debit card was used across the country at a gas station. I was just wondering how that was possible as the card is still in her possession. Even if the thief had a copy of the card wouldn't they need a pin or zip code to complete a transaction?

Replies to: Credit card fraud question

• missbwith2boysmissbwith2boys Registered User Posts: 596 Member
    Most of the gas stations in Oregon just swipe the debit card without me needing to be at the pump (we are one of those full service-only states). Costco is the only place that I have to get out of my car and go to the pump to put in my pin.
  • deega123deega123 Registered User Posts: 689 Member
    It was in NJ which might explain things. IIRC NJ is also a full service state.
  • JustaMom5465JustaMom5465 Registered User Posts: 1,650 Senior Member
    edited December 2015
    D had s similar thing happen recently. Turned out that there was a skimming device placed on an ATM in her neighborhood and many people had their account numbers and pin's stolen (there was a posting on a neighborhood Facebook page). So while the info was stolen at the nearby ATM, it was actually used in another location. She worked with the bank to recover the $$$. And, of course, got a new debit card asap.
  • travelnuttravelnut Registered User Posts: 1,955 Senior Member
    Debit cards are easily hacked and fake cards with a strip can be made quickly. When ours was breeched and big purchase attempted across the country, police discouraged us from using debit cards anywhere but a secure ATM. Unlike a credit card, debit cards are direct access to account. Thieves will start with small purchases and see how far they can go. Good luck. I think we are all going to spend a lot of time trying to stay ahead of the hackers.
  • anomanderanomander Registered User Posts: 1,647 Senior Member
    We were on a road trip to drop D off at the start of the semester. Stopped for gas and the visa got denied, then a few minutes later received a call. Turns out about 10 minutes after our previous gas stop the card was apparently hacked and somebody tried to use it at a different gas station. Weird stuff, I don't know how they get into use so quickly but I'm glad our bank catches these things so quickly.

Oddly enough we have two visas from different banks. One gets hacked regularly, like once or twice a year. The other has only been hacked once in the past 10+ years.

Anyway back to the OP's point, a colleague of mine had her debit card hacked and it was a big mess to clear up as she was overseas at the time and her bank account was cleaned out. She stopped using debit cards after that and switched to credit cards.
  • NoVADad99NoVADad99 Registered User Posts: 2,291 Senior Member
    edited December 2015
    The use of magnetic credit / debit card skimmers at ATMs and gas station pumps is very common. Always be on the lookout for signs of tampering with these card swipe devices. They capture the magnetic strip info and many have cameras on them to capture the PINs.

Here is an excellent blog article about the practice. It's downright scary.

http://krebsonsecurity.com/2015/09/tracking-a-bluetooth-skimmer-gang-in-mexico/
  • SouthFloridaMom9SouthFloridaMom9 Registered User Posts: 3,446 Senior Member
    We had a family member with a debit card hacked as well. His card could be used like a credit card (I think many debit cards can be used that way). Thankfully the bank froze the account.
  • CT1417CT1417 Registered User Posts: 4,330 Senior Member
    Just saw this across my Facebook scroll. Obviously not the same thing.

I do not have a debit card as I am wary of the lack of protection.

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/12/29/nyregion/2-bankers-charged-with-creating-atm-cards-to-steal-from-accounts.html
  • rosered55rosered55 Registered User Posts: 4,288 Senior Member
    D1's debit card was hacked in Vietnam. Her credit union reimbursed her for most of the fraudulently withdrawn funds.
  • partyof5partyof5 Registered User Posts: 2,674 Senior Member
    My cc, and two of my kiddos debits cards were all hacked. None of the cards ever left our possession, and I always tell my kids not to use a pin under any circumstance unless at an ATM.
  • rosered55rosered55 Registered User Posts: 4,288 Senior Member
    When my daughter's debit card was hacked (see above), it happened at an ATM. She still had the card afterward. It appeared that the machine itself had been hacked.
  • NoVADad99NoVADad99 Registered User Posts: 2,291 Senior Member
    ^^ It's a card skimmer. Some are very hard to detect.
  • arabrabarabrab Registered User Posts: 5,961 Senior Member
    I wonder if ApplePay or similar methods are more secure, or just not quite as hacked yet?
  • zobrowardzobroward Registered User Posts: 3,933 Senior Member
    edited December 2015
    people who work for the credit card processing companies, banks or contractors steal millions of numbers at a time.
    it is much less likely in 2015 to be a waitress or a hotel clerk (they do it too, but that is peanuts compared to people in the banking system who steal and resell the numbers by the boatload)
  • bgbg4usbgbg4us Registered User Posts: 1,197 Senior Member
    son's debit card was skimmed at a gas station. he didnt have much money in his checking account so when someone tried to use it for a very large purchase at a grocery store 1500 miles away it was denied. He replaced the card of course, but now regularly monitors his accounts to keep the balance in checking small.
This discussion has been closed.