right arrow
Make sure to check out our July Checklists for HS Juniors and HS Seniors. Consult these quick resources to get you started on the process this month.
GUEST STUDENT OF THE WEEK: ehales3 is a rising sophomore at Cornell University. As a high school student, she always thought that she wanted to study in a more urban environment, but has grown to love Ithaca and all that it offers. ASK HER ANYTHING!
As we work to adjust to the current reality, make sure to check out these dedicated COVID-19 resources: our directory of virtual campus tours, our directory of extended deadlines, as well as the list of schools going test optional this fall.

Credit card fraud question

deega123deega123 643 replies46 threads Member
We just received a call that DD's debit card was used across the country at a gas station. I was just wondering how that was possible as the card is still in her possession. Even if the thief had a copy of the card wouldn't they need a pin or zip code to complete a transaction?
20 replies
· Reply · Share

Replies to: Credit card fraud question

• missbwith2boysmissbwith2boys 583 replies22 threads Member
    Most of the gas stations in Oregon just swipe the debit card without me needing to be at the pump (we are one of those full service-only states). Costco is the only place that I have to get out of my car and go to the pump to put in my pin.
    · Reply · Share
  • deega123deega123 643 replies46 threads Member
    It was in NJ which might explain things. IIRC NJ is also a full service state.
    · Reply · Share
  • JustaMom5465JustaMom5465 1652 replies82 threads Senior Member
    edited December 2015
    D had s similar thing happen recently. Turned out that there was a skimming device placed on an ATM in her neighborhood and many people had their account numbers and pin's stolen (there was a posting on a neighborhood Facebook page). So while the info was stolen at the nearby ATM, it was actually used in another location. She worked with the bank to recover the $$$. And, of course, got a new debit card asap.
    edited December 2015
    · Reply · Share
  • travelnuttravelnut 2046 replies15 threads Senior Member
    Debit cards are easily hacked and fake cards with a strip can be made quickly. When ours was breeched and big purchase attempted across the country, police discouraged us from using debit cards anywhere but a secure ATM. Unlike a credit card, debit cards are direct access to account. Thieves will start with small purchases and see how far they can go. Good luck. I think we are all going to spend a lot of time trying to stay ahead of the hackers.
    · Reply · Share
  • anomanderanomander 1875 replies4 threads Senior Member
    We were on a road trip to drop D off at the start of the semester. Stopped for gas and the visa got denied, then a few minutes later received a call. Turns out about 10 minutes after our previous gas stop the card was apparently hacked and somebody tried to use it at a different gas station. Weird stuff, I don't know how they get into use so quickly but I'm glad our bank catches these things so quickly.

Oddly enough we have two visas from different banks. One gets hacked regularly, like once or twice a year. The other has only been hacked once in the past 10+ years.

Anyway back to the OP's point, a colleague of mine had her debit card hacked and it was a big mess to clear up as she was overseas at the time and her bank account was cleaned out. She stopped using debit cards after that and switched to credit cards.
    · Reply · Share
  • NoVADad99NoVADad99 2258 replies33 threads Senior Member
    edited December 2015
    The use of magnetic credit / debit card skimmers at ATMs and gas station pumps is very common. Always be on the lookout for signs of tampering with these card swipe devices. They capture the magnetic strip info and many have cameras on them to capture the PINs.

Here is an excellent blog article about the practice. It's downright scary.

http://krebsonsecurity.com/2015/09/tracking-a-bluetooth-skimmer-gang-in-mexico/
    edited December 2015
    · Reply · Share
  • SouthFloridaMom9SouthFloridaMom9 3416 replies30 threads Senior Member
    We had a family member with a debit card hacked as well. His card could be used like a credit card (I think many debit cards can be used that way). Thankfully the bank froze the account.
    · Reply · Share
  • CT1417CT1417 4535 replies24 threads Senior Member
    Just saw this across my Facebook scroll. Obviously not the same thing.

I do not have a debit card as I am wary of the lack of protection.

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/12/29/nyregion/2-bankers-charged-with-creating-atm-cards-to-steal-from-accounts.html
    · Reply · Share
  • rosered55rosered55 4834 replies124 threads Senior Member
    D1's debit card was hacked in Vietnam. Her credit union reimbursed her for most of the fraudulently withdrawn funds.
    · Reply · Share
  • partyof5partyof5 2587 replies126 threads Senior Member
    My cc, and two of my kiddos debits cards were all hacked. None of the cards ever left our possession, and I always tell my kids not to use a pin under any circumstance unless at an ATM.
    · Reply · Share
  • rosered55rosered55 4834 replies124 threads Senior Member
    When my daughter's debit card was hacked (see above), it happened at an ATM. She still had the card afterward. It appeared that the machine itself had been hacked.
    · Reply · Share
  • NoVADad99NoVADad99 2258 replies33 threads Senior Member
    ^^ It's a card skimmer. Some are very hard to detect.
    · Reply · Share
  • arabrabarabrab 5890 replies78 threads Senior Member
    I wonder if ApplePay or similar methods are more secure, or just not quite as hacked yet?
    · Reply · Share
  • zobrowardzobroward 3741 replies193 threads Senior Member
    edited December 2015
    people who work for the credit card processing companies, banks or contractors steal millions of numbers at a time.
    it is much less likely in 2015 to be a waitress or a hotel clerk (they do it too, but that is peanuts compared to people in the banking system who steal and resell the numbers by the boatload)
    edited December 2015
    · Reply · Share
  • bgbg4usbgbg4us 1604 replies46 threads Senior Member
    son's debit card was skimmed at a gas station. he didnt have much money in his checking account so when someone tried to use it for a very large purchase at a grocery store 1500 miles away it was denied. He replaced the card of course, but now regularly monitors his accounts to keep the balance in checking small.
    · Reply · Share
  • soccerguy315soccerguy315 7168 replies77 threads Senior Member
    strongly suggest that people that usually use debit cards use a credit card instead
    · Reply · Share
  • twoinanddonetwoinanddone 24727 replies20 threads Senior Member
    Yes, debit cards don't have the protections of federal law that credit cards do. Many banks give extra protections to debit cards, but they don't have to and when your account is drained you don't have the money during the dispute period. With a credit card you do.
    · Reply · Share
  • HImomHImom 36007 replies396 threads Senior Member
    I have rarely ever used debit cards--tried it to see if it worked and then used twice it in Canada. Tried it again to be sure it would work if I needed it in Korea (but didn't need it there).
    · Reply · Share
  • greenwitchgreenwitch 9284 replies42 threads Senior Member
    We've had a credit card be fraudulently used 3 times in the past 2 months! There was no card swiping device - apparently someone is running computer programs that just guess the numbers and then they use them for online purchases.

The problem with debit cards is that young people use them to access their checking accounts. It's impossible to just get a bank ATM card anymore, it's always a debit card. Young people establishing their credit may not have a cc to use instead.
    · Reply · Share
  • CT1417CT1417 4535 replies24 threads Senior Member
    @greenwitch -- I imagine this must vary by bank, but when my bank reissued my ATM as a debit card, I went in and asked that the debit feature be removed and a new card issued as ATM only. My son has his account at same bank, same scenario, except that we knew to ask that the ATM card be issued w/o debit feature.
    · Reply · Share
This discussion has been closed.

Recent Activity