right arrow
Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
We’ve got a new look! Walk through the key updates here.

If you were handed $1,100 a month, would you amount to anything?

Replies to: If you were handed $1,100 a month, would you amount to anything?

• romanigypsyeyesromanigypsyeyes 33159 replies766 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 33,925 Senior Member
    There is usually a reason people are in poverty

Yup. It's because they were born there.

You are right that we need all those extra things, but the extra money can enable people to go to school, etc. One of the main reasons that people in poverty don't (can't) go on to higher ed is because they can't afford to eat if they give up their full time jobs to go to class.

There is another country that is trying the guaranteed yearly income thing for all citizens. Sweden? We'll see what it does there (not that it's comparable to the US because of our dysfunctional health, education, etc systems).
    · Reply · Share
  • busdriver11busdriver11 15144 replies28 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 15,172 Senior Member
    I wouldn't mind using that money to convince, coerce or bribe young, single women to not have children. The number one way to earn a ticket into poverty.
    · Reply · Share
  • VaBluebirdVaBluebird 3184 replies221 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 3,405 Senior Member
    I already amounted to something but I sure could use the $1100 a month now, anyways. :))
    · Reply · Share
  • GMTplus7GMTplus7 14270 replies297 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 14,567 Senior Member
    1100/mo is:
    13,200/yr per person, or
    53,800/yr for a family of four, or
    79,200/yr for a family of six

Wouldn't this be a green light for poor people to maximize the size of their families and give them a compelling dis-incentive to opt out of the workforce?

· Reply · Share
  • GMTplus7GMTplus7 14270 replies297 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 14,567 Senior Member
    For most participants who have been chosen for the experiment, the guaranteed income is not enough to spur them to quit their jobs. “The one thing that everyone tells us is that they’re able to sleep much better,” Bohmeyer said. “But, ostensibly, not a lot changes: The students keep studying, the workers keep working, and the pensioners are still pensioners. 

Well duh, people kept doing the same thing in their lives bcs they knew the "guaranteed income" was only guaranteed for the duration of the experiment.

· Reply · Share
  • MarianMarian 13163 replies83 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 13,246 Senior Member
    I think it depends on the person and their exact financial situation.

I once took a higher-paying job that I didn't like instead of a lower-paying job that I probably would have enjoyed. If I had extra income coming in from another source, perhaps I wouldn't have made that decision.

But some other people might not be affected by the extra money. They might make the same decision regardless of the extra money.
    · Reply · Share
  • mom2collegekidsmom2collegekids 83917 replies1003 discussionsForum Champion Financial Aid, Forum Champion Alabama Posts: 84,920 Forum Champion
    ,,<<<
    1100/mo is:
    13,200/yr per person, or
    53,800/yr for a family of four, or
    79,200/yr for a family of six
    >>>

well, if two people living together would get $26k (tax free?)), then a good number would likely either not work, or work part-time or under the table.

Four friends pooling together their $53k and sharing an inexpensive home probably wouldn't bother to work. Not working would mean not needing to live in a pricey area.
    · Reply · Share
  • movemetoomovemetoo 724 replies11 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 735 Member
    It seems like there would be some way to make it a win-win. For the citizens of a country to be able share equally in an amount of money that would otherwise trickle away in social programs, perhaps they should do a certain amount to reciprocate for the country, by helping socially and environmentally.

I often am shocked at the $$ going into specific "programs" that seem like they would do so much more good being handed directly to the persons in need.
    · Reply · Share
  • eyemamomeyemamom 5343 replies78 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 5,421 Senior Member
    Say you had 10k to give to a family in poverty. How would you go about doing it?
    · Reply · Share
  • MarianMarian 13163 replies83 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 13,246 Senior Member
    Say you had 10k to give to a family in poverty. How would you go about doing it?

One-time contribution or annual?
    · Reply · Share
  • fendrockfendrock 2897 replies292 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 3,189 Senior Member
    My first thought was - this is enough to pay for monthly family health insurance.

I would feel free to take part-time work and spend some time on my own projects if I didn't have to worry about paying for health insurance.
    · Reply · Share
  • eyemamomeyemamom 5343 replies78 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 5,421 Senior Member
    Marian...you have 10k right now that you are targeting at one family. What do you do?
    · Reply · Share
  • SalveMaterSalveMater 407 replies18 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 425 Member
    Fendrock i think that's the goal of this experiment. It was crowdfunded by a thinktank kind of group that believes people will be free to explore creativity. I believe their statement was that machines will be taking over soon and we need creativity to explore other ideas for commerce and human resources or productivity.
    · Reply · Share
This discussion has been closed.

Recent Activity