right arrow
Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04

If you were handed $1,100 a month, would you amount to anything?

124»

Replies to: If you were handed $1,100 a month, would you amount to anything?

• NJSueNJSue 2843 replies18 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    edited December 2015
    The idea in theory is to get government out of the business of judging worthiness, with the hope that the overall program will be beneficial, even if some people behaved irresponsibly. That is, to focus on the overall group benefits to society rather than individual cases.

I understand that logic, and I also understand the idea that basic income would replace means-testing or expensive welfare bureaucracies designed to police people and judge "worthiness." What happens, however, when those people who will behave irresponsibly (and they will always exist) crash and burn, and their families (if they have them) get sick of dealing with them? Is society really going to let them starve in the street, or are we going to end up setting up yet another means-testing bureaucracy to care for them in addition to the basic income everyone gets? I don't believe any kind of "basic income" scheme can replace the welfare state programs, because there will always be a significant subset of people who can't or won't use the money rationally and beneficially.
    Taxes will go up somewhere. Inflation may rise. But there will be a cost.

Housing inflation, I think, would skyrocket if everyone's income increased by $1,100 a month.

Re the "experiment": the participants know they are being watched and evaluated, and this fact will certainly change their behavior. If basic income were just another entitlement program and your use of the money was not monitored, you'd most likely behave differently than if the eyes of the world were upon you.
    edited December 2015
    · Reply · Share
  • oldfortoldfort 22949 replies290 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    I am more about rewarding good behavior and help people become self supporting. When I had babies and was also in the beginning of my career, I often thought about quitting to stay home because I couldn't find quality child care. I think a lot of women quit their jobs because of it. I think that money could be better spent in providing quality childcare for every working parent. I remember when I visited my home office in Sweden years ago, my colleague told me that the government was paying her sister in law to take care of kids and her SIL own kids. With combined subsidies from the government, someone like her SIL could stay home and she could work at a higher paying job.
    · Reply · Share
This discussion has been closed.

Recent Activity