Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Kennedy Center Honors Broadcast

MommaJMommaJ Registered User Posts: 5,759 Senior Member
Anyone else totally blown away by Aretha Franklin's appearance? If you missed it, in the segment honoring Carole King, Ms. Franklin, age 73, came out in a full-length mink (why not?), sat down at the piano (I didn't even know she played), and proceeded to SLAY "Natural Woman". It was quite a moment, with Carole King going nuts in the balcony, the crowd roaring, and Obama wiping away a tear (me, too). And before that James Taylor (even old and bald he sets my heart thumping) sang "Up on the Roof" and Sara Bareilles sang "You've Got Friend". I was verklempt. The rest of the evening was darn entertaining, too--watching Gina Rodriguez tell how Rita Moreno had inspired her was another teary moment. Watch it if you can.

Replies to: Kennedy Center Honors Broadcast

• teriwttteriwtt Registered User Posts: 12,532 Senior Member
    Well, I know at least one other person on CC was watching it because we were texting during the show, and we did not have it on in our house. When I didn't hear from her for a few minutes, I thought, she must be totally enrapt in this performance, so maybe we should turn it on. We turned it on just in time to see Aretha Franklin come on and WOW! Beautiful is playing in Chicago right now, through mid-February, and watching the finale reminded me that I need to go see it; I will most likely go to a Wednesday afternoon matinee by myself because it's easy to get a good seat if you're just getting one ticket, even at last minute.

So I did a search to see when it would air again, and absolutely nothing came up. I'm sure there are some YouTube videos, but I'd like to watch the whole program from beginning to end (if anyone has any ideas how I might do that). Even D1 (who is 29) was totally getting into AF's performance. She has an amazing voice considering her age!
  • MommaJMommaJ Registered User Posts: 5,759 Senior Member
    What a shame it isn't being rebroadcast, especially since there's so little else to watch on TV this week. It looks like it can be watched streaming on the CBS website with some kind of subscription that's available for a free trial, so I guess you could do that so long as you remember to cancel before they start to charge you.

The Carole King segment was the highlight for me--big fan. I was recuperating from a car accident the summer of the year Tapestry was released. One of my dad's friends owned a record store and sent my dad home with a stack of albums to keep me occupied. I can't even remember what the others were, but I must have listened to Tapestry hundreds of times before I went back to college.

I highly recommend Beautiful to any Carole King fan--so long as you can restrain yourself from singing along with every song! I'd even be happy to see a sequel to Beautiful, because King's life only got more and more interesting after she left NYC. I read the book Girls Like Us (which covers the lives of King, Joni Mitchell and Carly Simon), and oh my goodness, Carole King has lived every minute of her life to the fullest--romantically, professionally, you name it.
  • PizzagirlPizzagirl Registered User Posts: 40,488 Senior Member
    I'm seeing Beautiful next week!
  • 2VU06092VU0609 Registered User Posts: 3,531 Senior Member
    edited December 2015
    I am a crier and have been known to shed a tear during previous years' broadcasts, particularly during the Paul McCartney tribute. I DVR'd this so I could watch by myself later this week - can't wait! I saw Carole King and James Taylor in concert a few years ago and it was like I was a teenager again, so I knew I would lose it during that segment. @Pizzagirl, I'm jealous that you are getting to see Beautiful - enjoy!
  • bookmama22bookmama22 Registered User Posts: 2,285 Senior Member
    Not only was Aretha amazing but what about Cece Winans and the kids from the Cecily Tyson School of the Performing Arts HS ??? They showed a scene or two from The Gin Game which she is currently in on B'way limited run closing soon, a two-hander with James Earl Jones. I saw it a few weeks ago and it was outstanding.

I also read Girls Like Us.. pretty interesting that James Taylor has a connection to all three of them. I want to read Carly Simon's memoir next. Back in the day I saw Carly Simon and Lily Tomlin on the same bill at The Bitter End.

• VaBluebirdVaBluebird Registered User Posts: 3,402 Senior Member
    edited December 2015
    Really interesting for me as we just saw "Beautiful-The Carole King Musical" at the Kennedy Center in October so it was wonderful to see her reactions! The whole show was wonderful and Aretha.........oh my!!!
  • happy1happy1 Forum Champion Parents, Forum Champion Admissions Posts: 24,577 Forum Champion
    edited December 2015
    Aretha was amazing. And Yo-Ya Ma was wonderful as well.
  • WellspringWellspring Registered User Posts: 1,459 Senior Member
    The Eagles were supposed to honored this year but had to postpone till next year because Glenn Frey had surgery.
  • 2VU06092VU0609 Registered User Posts: 3,531 Senior Member
    I finally watched last night as my New Year's Eve entertainment and the show really delivered, especially Aretha. I was a little surprised that they had James Taylor sing Up on the Roof and then let Sarah Barellies sing You've Got a Friend. While Carole King wrote both Natural Woman and You've Got a Friend, for many those songs belong to Aretha Franklin and James Taylor and it seems a little odd that James didn't perform the song most identified with him. Just a little whine, as I was glad to see him there with any song.
  • alwaysamomalwaysamom Registered User Posts: 12,448 Senior Member
    We watch the show every year but this year was special because a family friend, Chilina Kennedy, who is currently playing Carole in Beautiful on Broadway was on. We had a crowd of close to 25 here cheering her on. :)
  • PeriwinkleVAPeriwinkleVA Registered User Posts: 50 Junior Member
    In case anyone missed this show, check Video on Demand if your cable provider offers that. Verizon Fios has it, at least.
  • teriwttteriwtt Registered User Posts: 12,532 Senior Member
    We have U-verse... if anyone knows if it can be viewed there yet (or ever)???
  • SlackerMomMDSlackerMomMD Registered User Posts: 3,094 Senior Member
    I watched it on the CBS website.
This discussion has been closed.