right arrow
Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04

Has anyone been following the Flint water crisis?

Replies to: Has anyone been following the Flint water crisis?

• Cardinal FangCardinal Fang 18303 replies157 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    Did the emergency manager make money in switching?

The switch saved millions of dollars for the city. IMO, any city manager who saves millions of dollars for his city by poisoning child residents belongs behind bars.

Federal laws require corrosion control in municipal water. These laws were violated.

· Reply · Share
  • Cardinal FangCardinal Fang 18303 replies157 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    Which Katadyn filter do you have, Iglooo? The Katadyn filters I know about, the hand-held ones, do not filter out lead or any heavy metals.
    · Reply · Share
  • romanigypsyeyesromanigypsyeyes 33306 replies767 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    I live about an hour from Flint and I also live a few blocks away from where they bottle Absopure water. (Which they basically bottle from the tap.)

We have never, ever had to question whether or not our water was safe. We are very spoiled... I can't drink the tap water most other places because it tastes funny to me but here the water has zero taste.

There is no excuse for what happened in Flint.
    · Reply · Share
  • IgloooIglooo 8175 replies210 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    edited December 2015
    Which Katadyn filter do you have, Iglooo?

It's not hand held one, The filter is about 10" long 2" in diameter. It filtered lead successfully since the test on our baby showed practically zero lead. You could say I used the baby as test tube :)
    There is no excuse for what happened in Flint.

You are right absolutely. I am wondering if this an active criminal act, like did he take a bribe or have a personal gain in switching or plain stupid pigheadedness. There was a time when people distrusted "experts" If the one, I will join the screaming at him, the other IDK.
    edited December 2015
    · Reply · Share
  • MassmommMassmomm 3924 replies81 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    I saw a report about this on The News Hour, basically the only news show that reports stuff like this. This is appalling and someone should be charged with criminal negligence at the very least.
    · Reply · Share
    edited December 2015
    Deliberately and intentionally pulling the lever that switches from non-poison city tap water to poison city tap water counts as an active criminal act, to me. Governmental officials making public false statements that poisoned water is safe to drink also counts as active criminal action as far as I'm concerned.

Lead poisoning is permanent. Lead causes permanent brain damage leading to lowered mental capacity and more viloent tendencies. Intentionally poisoning children with lead in order to save money is unfathomably evil.

Poisoning a city water supply is what cartoon villains and terrorists do. Why are these evil doers still at large?
    edited December 2015
    · Reply · Share
  • tom1944tom1944 5820 replies198 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    Has the unelected city executive made any statement on this?
    · Reply · Share
  • romanigypsyeyesromanigypsyeyes 33306 replies767 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    Others have accused the city manager of lying, and in any case, the buck stops at his desk.
    · Reply · Share
    Out of curiosity, if someone were to bring charges against the Gov or the City Manager or anyone else, would it have to come from the AG?

If so, that will never happen. Our AG is even more ridiculous than the Gov.
    · Reply · Share
  • nottellingnottelling 4269 replies60 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    I have't read any of the material, but just to answer Romani's question abt jurisdiction: There are federal criminal and civil statutes that may have been violated. I'm sure the US Atty's Office and the EPA are investigating. The US Attorney's Office could potentially bring federal criminal charges, and the EPA could potentially bring a federal civil enforcement action. In addition, a private citizen may be able to file a civil suit as a private attorney general under state and federal law. For any of those actions, the state wld not be involved in the investigation or prosecution. Any federal criminal matter would have priority. There are also likely potential state charges that could be brought. Who would bring those charges and in what forum would depend on the specifics of state law.
    · Reply · Share
    The news just keeps getting worse and worse for Flint residents.
    DETROIT, MI — Ten people in Genesee County have died of Legionnaires' disease since Flint switched its water source to the Flint River in April 2014.

Officials of the Health and Human Services Department said in a Detroit press conference Wednesday that there's no evidence of a clear link between the spike in cases and the water system change that's caused an uproar over elevated lead levels found in Flint children.

But it does escalate the crisis in the Flint area.

http://www.mlive.com/news/detroit/index.ssf/2016/01/legionaires_disease_spike_disc.html#incart_special-report
    · Reply · Share
  • HImomHImom 34320 replies391 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    SCARY! Yikes!
    · Reply · Share
  • partyof5partyof5 2559 replies125 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    Wow thats scary! I feel so sorry for Flint residents.
    · Reply · Share
  • emilybeeemilybee 13146 replies35 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    The whole situation is beyond appalling. I heard the gov's new conference the other night where he was trying to cover his arse. They all knew months and months ago and chose to dismiss and ridicule the doctor and the Virginia Tech guy. They need to be indicted, convicted and their arses thrown in prison.
    · Reply · Share
  • saxsax 5272 replies156 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    I would like to see if those in charge suddenly started purchasing bottled water for themselves and their families and when this occurred. Pretty obvious if they believed their was a problem then.

Easy enough to check if they used a grocery advantage card or a bottled water supplier.
    · Reply · Share
  • partyof5partyof5 2559 replies125 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    @sax, thats a good idea
    · Reply · Share
    Those in charge don't live in Flint.
    · Reply · Share
    The TV story I saw last night said that because the Flint water system failed to add the anti-corrosion chemicals they should have added to their water, not only did the water leach lead from the pipes to poison people, but also, the anti-bacterials added to the water might have been neutralized.

In other words, the same negligence and incompetence that caused kids to be poisoned with lead may have also caused ten people to die of Legionnaire's disease. Can we see some murder charges here, please, if this hypothesis proves out?
    · Reply · Share
This discussion has been closed.

Recent Activity