right arrow
Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
We’ve got a new look! Walk through the key updates here.

Endorsing a check

IgloooIglooo 7991 replies203 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 8,194 Senior Member
If the check is issued to us jointly, do both of us have to endorse it to deposit to a joint account? IRS issued a refund check although I clearly marked to apply it to next year's tax.
61 replies
· Reply · Share

Replies to: Endorsing a check

• allyphoeallyphoe 2286 replies54 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 2,340 Senior Member
  • IgloooIglooo 7991 replies203 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 8,194 Senior Member
    Thank you. Good to know!
    · Reply · Share
  • romanigypsyeyesromanigypsyeyes 33159 replies766 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 33,925 Senior Member
    edited December 2015
    No.

ETA: Oops, apparently I had this tab open a lot longer than I thought. I second ally :)
    edited December 2015
    · Reply · Share
  • HRSMomHRSMom 4594 replies49 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 4,643 Senior Member
    You can send the $ back as a quarterly deposit if you need to.
    · Reply · Share
  • 4kidsdad4kidsdad 4583 replies19 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 4,602 Senior Member
    If the check is issued to us jointly, do both of us have to endorse it to deposit to a joint account?
    Yes, both of you! See http://www.mybanktracker.com/news/top-10-us-banks-rules-check-deposits-multiple-payees
    If a check was written as payable to John “and” Jane, both payees must endorse the check.
    · Reply · Share
  • IgloooIglooo 7991 replies203 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 8,194 Senior Member
    edited December 2015
    It is written to John & Jane. We file the tax jointly and the refund was sent us both. It's going into a joint account.

@HRSMom
    You can send the $ back as a quarterly deposit if you need to.

How do I do that?
    edited December 2015
    · Reply · Share
  • 2muchquan2muchquan 1998 replies32 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 2,030 Senior Member
    "For Deposit Only". Yes you may. Write this on the back of the check.
    · Reply · Share
  • HRSMomHRSMom 4594 replies49 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 4,643 Senior Member
    edited December 2015
    @Iglooo Sorry, I meant you can deposit and send a new check as a quarterly.

Technically, you can return the check and have the IRS fix this by putting the $ in the next year's account, but I don't recommend that. I've had quite bad luck with that process (if the $ is big enough and will cause a huge penalty though if not rolled over, you may need to send it back with a letter indicating that you opted for rollover, showing that on your return. Once you cash it, the check you send back is considered new $ and can be "late".)
    edited December 2015
    · Reply · Share
  • romanigypsyeyesromanigypsyeyes 33159 replies766 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 33,925 Senior Member
    I have a joint account with Mr R at one of those banks in 4kids' link. We've never co-endorsed a check that was written to both of us and we've never had an issue.

But I guess to be safe, both parties should sign.
    · Reply · Share
    Frankly, you could scribble "boogers" on the back and it would not be rejected. When depositing, banks aren't as rigid as cashing a check for cash:)
    · Reply · Share
  • 4kidsdad4kidsdad 4583 replies19 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 4,602 Senior Member
    Don't we all know how to forge our spouse's signature for stuff like this?
    No, my wife's signature is so unique that I don't attempt to copy it.
    · Reply · Share
  • sylvan8798sylvan8798 6626 replies139 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 6,765 Senior Member
    I usually write "Deposit to *account number*". Our bank is very strict, however, about not accepting checks NOT originally made out to one of us. Other banks are more lenient on that.
    · Reply · Share
  • SnLMomSnLMom 626 replies18 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 644 Member
    I realize this situation is a different situation, however my daughter and her two roommates received a security deposit refund check from their landlord issued to daughter, roommate 1 "AND" roommate 2. All three of them endorsed the check, but Wells Fargo (2 of them have separate accounts there) would not allow my daughter to deposit the check unless all three payees were present.... which has not happened since one of them graduated and lives 2 states away. It took 3 months to get her to endorse the check and there has not been a time in which the 3 have been together during banking hours. This has been a real PITA!

I would think there would be less potential for a hassle of you both sign the check, unless there is a reason that can't be done. You could always call your bank and ask.
    · Reply · Share
  • 2muchquan2muchquan 1998 replies32 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 2,030 Senior Member
    Ha! @Pizzagirl I was going to say the same thing. I sign my wife's name to be 'safe'....never had a problem. Actually, I was once told I could legally sign for my wife. It sounded good to me, so I went with it. Never, ever, an issue with deposits. I wouldn't try it when cashing a check, however.
    · Reply · Share
This discussion has been closed.

Recent Activity