Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Kitchen Remodel

Replies to: Kitchen Remodel

• katliamomkatliamom Registered User Posts: 12,869 Senior Member
    If you don't think you'll be selling anytime soon, go with what you like and what's cheapest. That said, I hear that granite is now considered passe (people are opting for quartzite or quartz -- for an inexpensive counter top look for faux corian) , and the smaller, rectangular backsplash glass tiles are very, very trendy (and EVERYWHERE.)
  • OspreyCV22OspreyCV22 Registered User Posts: 1,682 Senior Member
    MY SIL lives in an area that requires radon alarms in new houses. Her next door neighbors' kept going off. They found out their granite counter tops were emitting radon! Quartz for me. Next kitchen will have quartz that looks like Carrera marble. I don't like the yawing black hole appliances. If I can't see dirt it doesn't get wiped.
  • BunsenBurnerBunsenBurner Registered User Posts: 38,637 Senior Member
    I am with thumper! I love white. Sadly, our white appliances are dying out after being in use for 16 years, and Mr. wants the stainless look. I would never do black - they are depressing and show every fingerprint!

Is there a specialized appliance store nearby? They might have some store display stuff significantly discounted... January is furniture sales month, so maybe appliance stores will have some specials as well!
  • fendergirlfendergirl Registered User Posts: 4,757 Senior Member
    I don't intend to sell anytime soon and I'm doing the remodel for me - not for the future. The granite i'm leaning towards has blackish brown, yellow and like an off white in it.

zip - thanks for the recommendation :) i did see the stove i'm looking at is available at the sears outlet for like 200 less than at other stores.... but I just can't do it. ;)
    Bunsen - there is - good idea. I was leaning towards Bestbuy as i can charge it no interest. a friend of the family is going to do the countertops (i'm getting a great deal - $700ish!)
  • fretfulmotherfretfulmother Registered User Posts: 1,928 Senior Member
    We put in white appliances with maple (light, warm) cabinets. We also did a dark green granite counter (which we didn't originally plan but the solid surface we picked was discontinued and they "upgraded" us), and a tile backsplash with tiles I got from amazon.com. It does not look formal, but to me, looks nice and homey.

I don't like stainless appliances because they always look smudgey, and I think black has started to look dated. The risk of any color but white is that it will look dated until it comes back "in" again. The risk of white is some people really don't like it and not all home-buyers have imagination, to say the least!

Good luck!
  • CT1417CT1417 Registered User Posts: 4,330 Senior Member
    Since you have a little time, stop in and see if you can befriend someone in the appliance dept who will let you know when the floor models go on sale. You can realize tremendous savings for last year's model that has never been used. Home Depot will still sell you a three or five year extended warranty, if you are concerned.

• bookwormbookworm Registered User Posts: 8,809 Senior Member
    I did SS, and ended up,replacing 2more appliances in that. I'm a fan of agh TV shows, and people love SS. Surprisingly, I have had no issue with fingerprints or anything.

Some people like all matching appliances. I went with quality in each. So, I have a Bosch 800 series D/W, and a GE Monogram fridge. The first appliance I replaced was oven, and I truly dislike it. It pays to do research and get good quality. I replaced the oven before I had to redo the whole kitchen. Gardenweb kitchen is an amazing site, almost as useful as CC.
  • smdur1970smdur1970 Registered User Posts: 943 Member
    My kitchen remodel is going on 20 years old, and we had alder cabinets (never again, long story) that look very much like the honey oak. And we chose all black appliances and I have a black toaster and coffee pot. Actually, I love the kitchen and the look; it is getting about time for a redo, but I'll keep the black appliances. You really have to look closely to see dirt and smudges!
  • great lakes momgreat lakes mom Registered User Posts: 2,991 Senior Member
    In the last year I bought a new cooktop and oven for my slightly lighter oak cabinets. Stainless oven (floor model) and black gas cooktop. I like the black stove top as those carbony bits don't show over time around the burners. Most stainless has some black in it, so you can use both black and stainless together without issue. Who wants to look at the appliances regardless? The warm glow of the oak, the counters and backslash are what gives life to a kitchen. Though I thought I didn't like stainless, I do rather enjoy the look. Rather neat and clean.

FWIW, I bought a Sears floor model, and the discount was amazing.
    fretful - agree with the SS looking smudgy. I know I wouldn't keep up with the cleaning on it, and also you can't hang magnets on it. Where am I supposed to stick my magnets and pictures?? Lol
  • fretfulmotherfretfulmother Registered User Posts: 1,928 Senior Member
    @fendergirl - my BIL/SIL have a gorgeous kitchen with SS, and have young twins. ;) Which is where I get my opinions on that! But I think the brand matters too, in terms of the finish - @bookworm, do you have a certain kind of SS that doesn't show prints? I had no idea they weren't magnetic though!
  • mathmommathmom Registered User Posts: 32,043 Senior Member
    If I had a white kitchen I'd have no problem with white appliances. In fact right now only my stove and my sinks are stainless the rest are leftover from the previous whitish kitchen. Current kitchen is also white and if fridge dies, I'll probably replace it with stainless. I'm okay with black if the counters are dark, but otherwise I'd be inclined to go stainless, but only if you think you'd be selling soon. Otherwise do what YOU like. I don't actually like granite either. I ended up using soapstone and butcher block in mine. If I'd know how much I'd end up liking the soapstone, I'd have done everything except the island (which is really a Boze kitchen table.)
  • colorado_momcolorado_mom Registered User Posts: 8,892 Senior Member
    I liked our white theme (1993- white fridge, white/back smoothtop range, white over-range microwave, black dishwasher. DH and I don't like SS, so when the frige died we choose black (matte, not glossy). It looks nice. A full remodel is probably a few years out, so when the DW dies we will need to put a stake in the ground. So I'm glad to see this thread!

In the Sunday sale ads I noitced a lot of "slate" and "black SS". Has anybody considered those options?
  • AboutTheSameAboutTheSame Registered User Posts: 3,096 Senior Member
    We have a KitchenAid that looks SS but is not. It is magnetic, which is one of the main reasons I bought it when the last fridge died.
This discussion has been closed.