right arrow
Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04

Kitchen Remodel

Replies to: Kitchen Remodel

• colorado_momcolorado_mom 8840 replies78 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 8,918 Senior Member
    Tell me more about Gardenweb...
    · Reply · Share
  • bookwormbookworm 8765 replies72 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 8,837 Senior Member
    Some people come to GW with layout plans. Professionals are often on the site, and others very experienced, like out Coralbrook, and will offer suggestions.

There is a lot of talk about countertops and backsplashes. I learned a lot about granites, quartz, and quartzites. People will post about choices of CTops with their cabinets, and get honest feedback. A guiding rule is Only one clown in the kitchen. So, if your CTop is a busy pattern, go with a quiet backsplash.

There are regional differences. Many people will chose and display cherry cabinets, with soapstone CTops. Here in FL, dark kitchens don't go over well. All over the country, there are those who love a white kitchen. There are those who insist on marble CTops. Others will use quarts or quartzite CTops that mimic marble, without the hassle. Backsplashes can take some people months of hunting. I learned about brands and quality.

Then you move onto topics of appliances. Owners of appliance stores will offer their opinions of different makes and models. There is a range of how much money people put into their kitchen. Those near Quaker country, like FR, hire Amish carpenters and achieve the most amazing results. In regard to D/W, Miele is considered tops, followed by Bosch. I read so much about each appliance, I could walk into stores prepared to consider a few models. The same goes for faucets, cabinet hardware, lighting, etc.

On GW, there is a search engine. You may find a thread from a year prior that addresses your issue. Enjoy.
    · Reply · Share
  • fretfulmotherfretfulmother 1926 replies45 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 1,971 Senior Member
    And what I liked about GW was the community and discussions, and joking around about the stresses involved in doing any kind of big renovation.

There are also recommendations at various price points, so for example, we learned about MR Direct for faucets/sinks which was much more in our budget. There are also people who have solved irritating little issues, like how to install one of those extension hoses for soap under your kitchen sink so you don't have to refill as often, or how to use the removable cabinet shelves to trace on the liner paper/foam to get a good fit for the liner in the cabinet.

@bookworm - now I'm worried that we have two "clowns in the kitchen" because of the Onyx backsplash and the granite counters. Oh well... How busy does something have to be to become a "kitchen clown"?
    · Reply · Share
  • bjkmombjkmom 7868 replies156 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 8,024 Senior Member
    edited December 2015
    We saved a LOT of money a few years ago by shopping right around Super Bowl Sunday. It turns out that that's just about the end of the model year. We got an LG fridge, micro and dishwasher package at a nicely discounted price. We stored them in the garage until we needed them a few months later. Why not call your local place and ask?

Some of my favorite things about our remodel:
    - under cabinet lighting.

- we tore down the wall between the dining room and kitchen, and put in a peninsula. You know that corner cabinet, the one that's practically impossible to fully utilize? Thanks to a suggestion by my brilliant brother in law, we had it open from the dining room side. It has 2 sliding drawers. We use it for the kids to store their homework stuff-- books, supplies, and the rest. The other drawer holds tablecloths. It's a fabulous use the space.

- I love that we got tall cabinets, and molding that goes from the top to the ceiling. No place for dust to accumulate.

- I love our porcelain tile floors-- they look just like wood, but are incredibly easy to maintain. It's pretty close to this: http://cancos.com/index.php?route=product/productline&path=83_334#ad-image-0 . It has a bit of texture, so when the kids run in to the bathroom from the pool it's not quite so slippery. The guy at the flooring store told us to use very fine grout, so it really does give the appearance of wood.

- Home Depot is an incredible resource. For something like $100, they'll do endless tweaks to a computer model as to your design. They came and measured for us. And the cabinets are lovely. I absolutely did NOT want a white kitchen... I just knew it would show everything. Some are gorgeous, but white absolutely did not fit our lifestyle.

- We centered sliders on the back wall. We get tons of light and air.

This isn't our kitchen, but it's similar: http://www.goonagoon.co/wp-content/uploads/2015/12/Kitchen-Cherry-Cabinets-As-Painting-Kitchen-Cabinets-For-Refinishing-Of-Lovely-Used-Kitchen-Cabinets.jpg And I LOVE, love, love it!!!
    edited December 2015
    · Reply · Share
  • fendergirlfendergirl 4601 replies156 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 4,757 Senior Member
    Bjk- glad you said that - I LOVE my under cabinet lighting!!!! I added that a year or two ago.

I was actually thinking that a they would have great bundle prices on holiday weekends, totally forgot about superbowl. I know they gave great TV deals that week. ;)
    · Reply · Share
  • OnwardOnward 2895 replies77 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 2,972 Senior Member
    I have those honey oak cabinets and even though they are rather out of style, the cabinets make my kitchen bright and give it a warm feeling. My appliance are: black dishwasher and stove. My fridge, which we replaced a few years ago, is bisque! We felt that a black fridge would look like a big hole and draw to much attention to it. I know you don't like Sears but we went online and ordered. There are more choices online and they would deliver on a Sunday. I don't understand why there are so many color choices for washing machines than there are for kitchen appliances.
    · Reply · Share
  • fendergirlfendergirl 4601 replies156 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 4,757 Senior Member
    Has anyone gotten a counter depth fridge? Do you notice the lack of space? They only seem to be like two inches less deep...
    · Reply · Share
  • thumper1thumper1 73323 replies3190 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 76,513 Senior Member
    Our fridge is counter depth due to the location. If just can't stick out an additional four inches...whichnismwhat a regular fridge would do.

Counter depth fridges run about double the cost of standard depth. They are seldom on clearance as they don't make as many.

If I knew then what I know now...I would have designed my house so,that the fridge "nook" was the depth of a regular fridge, but the front would sit flush with the cabinets.

In terms of interior space...the are smaller, but you get used to what you have. Even with a family of four, we never had issues with enough space, and we do not have a second fridge anywhere.

· Reply · Share
    It's funny how much the selection varies by area. For example, I need an electric range as I don't have gas here. When I go to stores in this area, it's like 50/50. I stopped by a store near my work earlier this week, and they had 2 electric ranges and over 20 gas ones! Gas must be much more prevalent in that area.

Online seems to be my best bet. I actually did buy my washer on sears website, they had the best prices on them at the time. That lovely purchase is what lead to me no longer doing business there. Heh.
    · Reply · Share
  • FlyMeToTheMoonFlyMeToTheMoon 2921 replies44 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 2,965 Senior Member
    Has anyone gotten a counter depth fridge? Do you notice the lack of space? They only seem to be like two inches less deep...

We just did! Interestingly, we feel that there is more space in our side by side freezer than our previous side by side, and do not notice less space in the refrigerator. The space is taken from the door shelves, so yes, we can't put as much in the door, but it has not been a problem.

We are very happy we went with counter depth. Love having more space between the refrigerator and the island.
    · Reply · Share
  • lookingforwardlookingforward 32727 replies350 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 33,077 Senior Member
    I have counter depth and want it again. I don't want the fridge to protrude. Current is side by side. You just have to get used to the narrower sides. My concern about a bottom freezer is it seems frozen food gets dumped in a drawer. I know there are sliders. But still.

And Thx, Bunsen.
    · Reply · Share
    edited December 2015
    My parents have a french door fridge with the bottom freezer and I love it. I have a relatively small spot for the fridge to go (must be under 32 inches wide) and in a small kitchen the few inches saved by doing counter depth might be worth it. This will be the last appliance replaced though, as it costs the most and my current one works. :)
    edited December 2015
    · Reply · Share
  • bjkmombjkmom 7868 replies156 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 8,024 Senior Member
    Something else I love-- thanks to the recommendation of the Home Depot guy.

We wanted a pantry. We ended up with 2, the kind with the pull out shelves.

The guy suggested individual drawers. They're lighter to pull out, it's easier to see what's at the back, and it's less wear and tear since you're pulling out less weight each time you open them.
    · Reply · Share
  • bookwormbookworm 8765 replies72 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 8,837 Senior Member
    I have a 4 drawer counterdepth fridge. I like it a lot. I got the floor model GE Monogram.

I prefer Sears to HHGregg or L/HD. Even better are the independent stores. My worst purchase was at Greggs. When I came in and asked to see manager, cuz I had problems with second oven, he realized the model was a dud. I had it past a month (it sat in garage), so they wouldn't take it back. The independent store had staff that really knew their stuff.

Regarding 2 clowns in a kitchen. I happen to love onyx. I saw slabs of these, but they were even more expensive than my quartzite. Some were translucent,Mao people used them for the bar, and they were lit from within. It just depends on how busy the granite is.
    · Reply · Share
  • mathmommathmom 32027 replies158 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 32,185 Senior Member
    I like white cabinets because I can see they are dirty right away and give them a quick wipe before they get disgusting. I did not expect to love my soapstone countertops as much as I did. They are quite dark with pretty faint veining so not too busy. Easy to clean. The other thing that I just love thanks to my sister-in-law is a custom made built in open shelving unit that surrounds my fridge. (I hate my fridge, but that's a different story). There is tall narrow storage slots marching across the top that I store trays, cutting boards and cookie sheets and all the large lids. Running down the side are larger openings. One houses the microwave, the other the wine fridge. My sil uses hers for more shelves of large pantry type items. I also have a biggish pantry that combines space from a weird closet that was in the dining room and my too small pantry. I only have two upper cabinets and I don't miss having more of them at all. I also made the counter with my kitchen sink an extra six inches deep so I can have all my stuff out (Kitchen Aid, knife sharpener, juicer, wooden spoons and spatulas and a few more things) and still have plenty of room on my counters to work.
    · Reply · Share
  • zeebamomzeebamom 1356 replies3 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 1,359 Senior Member
    I can't believe it, but we redid our kitchen 11+ years ago. Mid-tone cherry cabinets, SS appliances of various makes, still going strong. TG we didn't go with a built-in microwave, because it has been replaced 3 times. It is on a shelf under a smaller cabinet so it lines up with the bigger cabinet next to it. An over-stove micro/fan combo won't work with a high-power gas cooktop or some electrics, anyway.

One thing GW taught us is unless you plan on selling in the next 3-5 years, design the kitchen the way you want. You will get your enjoyment out of it and odds are the next buyer will redo it. If you want white, get white. Just be consistent.

If I were doing it again, I'd go with a French door, bottom freezer fridge. I hate, hate, hate the side by side. H insisted on it and I went along. Our vacation place came with the FD fridge and I love it. The freezer is functional and I can get large trays in the fridge portion.
    · Reply · Share
  • FlyMeToTheMoonFlyMeToTheMoon 2921 replies44 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 2,965 Senior Member
    @zeebamom, would you mind sharing what you love about a French door refrigerator? We just bought a new refrigerator, and if you don't want a French door, which we didn't, there isn't much to choose from.
    · Reply · Share
  • whitepicketfencewhitepicketfence 115 replies14 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 129 Junior Member
    We just finished a whole house remodel, and of course the kitchen is the heart of it. We went with white cabinets, quartz counters, ss appliances and the flooring is the the "clown". We are in FL so tile is prevalent. We choose a wood look tile that is very varied...I think of driftwood when I see it so it pulls the white on the cabinets, greys from the counters and wall color and the little bit of black from the ss appliances. The backsplash is glass white subway tile with clear glass grout. At night, it looks so pretty with the under cabinet lighting. The white shines and the ss fades into the dark.

The things I love the most and would spend money on again:
    Under cabinet lighting
    Dimmers for the led can lights
    I put an outlet in our pantry on a small pullout shelf. I leave the chargers in there and that is where phones, iPads, etc live...so much easier and less counter clutter.
    Touch faucet (can turn it on with an elbow when your hands are gross)
    A "sleeve" my contractor built that matches my cabinets so my fridge looks built in without the built in price.
    Pullouts for cabinets (where they work, the ones I want are $$ so we are waiting)

Mistakes:
    Too many to list and since we are still paying I don't want to think about it!

· Reply · Share
  • jonrijonri 7258 replies134 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 7,392 Senior Member
    One warning: when pricing appliances, check out extra fees. I bought an Amana refrigerator at Home Depot a little a year ago. Another appliance place was cheaper, but they had a delivery fee, a "take the old one away" fee, and a fee to switch the handle to the right side--normal is on left. Home Depot's price included everything.So, while the advertised price was less, the actual price was more. I decided to buy Home Depot's 5 year warranty, and that was cheaper than the other store's warranty too.
    · Reply · Share
  • whitepicketfencewhitepicketfence 115 replies14 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 129 Junior Member
    Also, I spent time at a higher end appliance place and found the same appliances at HD for a lower price which the appliance place matched. I would say service was a little better, both at the shopping end and the install end. Not huge but noticeable.
    · Reply · Share
This discussion has been closed.

Recent Activity