right arrow
Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04

Kitchen Remodel

Replies to: Kitchen Remodel

• OnwardOnward 2895 replies77 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 2,972 Senior Member
    @sryrstress - I am just starting to look a countertops- are you saying the quartz ones aren't shiny because the samples I have looked at seem shiny. I kind of want shiny...
    · Reply · Share
  • Onetogo2Onetogo2 225 replies2 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 227 Junior Member
    We moved recently and new house kitchen was remodeled before we moved though I had limited input into design. I did choose appliances and counter top but we had only an hour to do the latter so no real time for research or obsessing. For countertop we went with black leathered granite which we really like - despite never having been a fan of granite. Had I had longer to design this myself I'd probably have gone with butcher block except for around the sink. We were only given one option for a sink - very deep single SS which also has turned out to be fine though I might have preferred a large double sink had it fitted in the space. I thought about an induction stove top but couldn't justify the extra cost. Same for gas cooktop with electric oven. Ended up with a Samsung electric slide in stove with a double oven option which means the full size oven can be divided and we can choose to only use the smaller oven when cooking for 2, or both ovens for cooking things at different temperatures, or one large oven when everyone's here. It's convection too which I'm liking.

Contractor told us to get a counter depth fridge and we went with an LG french door with drawer freezer at the bottom. Oddly, I feel, both D's BF's have commented that they really like it. We've found it large enough and I do like the main fridge being at eye level. The freezer has been big enough for us. If we were to get another I would not get the ice/water through the door mainly because we had a problem with the water not shutting off - a less than ideal situation at the best of times but not good with hardwood floors. On the plus side it was under warranty an there've been no problems since it was fixed and I now know where the water shutoff for the fridge is!

Had great difficulty deciding on a DW and in the end just went to Lowes and chose the one I liked the look of inside and out. It's a Kitchen Aid and very quiet. In terms of cabinets I really don't like bottom cupboards unless they have slide out drawers in them. Much prefer large drawers instead and regret not fighting harder to get all drawers. I've resisted SS appliances till this kitchen but have found them reasonably easy to keep looking decent with fortnightly cleaning - in previous kitchen had black appliances which showed every spec of dust and are seriously difficulty keep looking clean for more than a moment after being wiped down so my vote is for white or SS cabs.
    · Reply · Share
  • MotherOfDragonsMotherOfDragons 3934 replies25 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 3,959 Senior Member
    edited January 2016
    @Onward Quartz and granite can be done in a gloss or honed (matte) finish. Honed is more porous, and I wouldn't recommend it. Nobody I know who's chosen honed for either product has been happy with it after the initial install. It's a LOT harder to get clean, and after a few years of red wine and grease sinking into it, never looks clean even when it is.

I seal my granite with a granite sealer about once a year. You can get it at HD or Lowe's in the tile department. It needs to dry for a while so I will clean and seal the granite right before we go on vacation. Then when we get back it's completely dried. It makes the granite less porous (I have a type with large grains in the matrix, which is more porous).

@takeitallin , I've seen those new White Ice appliances, and they are very cool looking-the best way I can describe it is that it looks like glass tile because there's a depth to the finish. I worry though that they will end up being the avocado or harvest gold of the 21st century.

I can see doing a beach house with them, though-they have that feel.

Another vote for Moen faucets being terrible, also. I've had good luck with Kohler.

My husband and I are both tall, and almost all the lower cabinets in my kitchen are drawers. I wouldn't do it any other way-so much easier. I wish I'd gone all drawers lower, as well. Also, the upper cabinets are a light color (Sherwin Williams Wool Skein with a jacobean rubbed finish-I call it pre-grimed, lol), and the lower cabinets and the island are, um, something Bronze (think dark taupe-y brown). The lower cabinets get a lot more beat on from vacuums, dogs, chairs, etc, and the darker color hides a lot of scuffs.
    edited January 2016
    · Reply · Share
  • mamaduckmamaduck 645 replies27 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 672 Member
    We're replacing our countertops, and have tentatively picked out a leathered granite (White Torronicino, similar to http://www.francocaruso.com/catalog2/index.php?twg_album=Edmonton/3cm+Granite/White+Torroncino+Leather+A2&twg_show=x#0) My husband does not like the super shiny granite, but loved the texture of the leathered.

The fabricator will include a Blanco sink - http://www.blanco-germany.com/en_us/en_us/sinks/product_catalog/sink.html?articleNo=441024

We are keeping our cabinets (hickory, but not with a strong grain), and refinishing our natural oak floors.

We have to select a new faucet. We are leaning toward a single, not a separate spray. Should we do a pull-out (straight arm) or a pull down (more of a waterfall)?
    · Reply · Share
  • thumper1thumper1 73364 replies3190 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 76,554 Senior Member
    My faucet has a pull down end...it is excellent! It has a long flexible thing that pulls out. I can easily fill a pot on my counter!
    · Reply · Share
  • lookingforwardlookingforward 32786 replies350 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 33,136 Senior Member
    edited January 2016
    I love the sliders that came with one of my large bottom cabinets and we had a friend convert another cabinet (wood pull-outs, not the metal after-market.) What really annoys me is the corner spinner, but there's little choice in a corner. (Tip: over time, oil can degrade the plastic trays, so line them.)

What I do like about a side by side is the different shelves in the freezer. I've got one for meat, another for veggies, etc. Someone has to convince me, please, that I could have the same ease with a bottom unit. I know some have a slider or two, but it just seems like so much will be on the bottom of a heap.

Mycupoftea, thanks for the link. Handsome.
    edited January 2016
    · Reply · Share
  • thumper1thumper1 73364 replies3190 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 76,554 Senior Member
    We have a corner spinner, and carefully chose what we put on it. Because we have a good amount of cabinets, we had choices we could make. Our lower one has things like commuter mugs, and plastic bowls, and mixing bowls. Bottom shelf also has pie plates. Upper corner spinner has spices and herbs, salts, peppers, things like baking powder and baking soda, bottom shelf of that one also has things like vanilla extract. No oils. Those are in our pantry cabinet.

My next kitchen will have mostly lower drawers. I will keep one lower cabinet for some of the appliances like by crockpot, and blender...which get a lot of use. Everything else can go in drawers.
    · Reply · Share
  • bookwormbookworm 8774 replies72 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 8,846 Senior Member
    edited January 2016
    I have a lazy Susan in corner, which holds my crock pot, soup pot, and other small appliances. It is made of wood, so very sturdy. Everything else in bottom are drawers.

I got the Brizio Vuelo touch faucet, which has the pull out spray. It looks like a swan. There are others that are modern looking, but they didn't fit my house. On GWeb, some people have unlimited budgets and spend over $1000 for a faucet.

One to go, it sounds like you did a really good job in a short time. If I hadn't bought the Bosch DW, KA would have been my pick. I think we have same stove, though that is my least fav appliance.

Mama duck, my friend has hickory cabinets and I really like them. With that granite, I could see a simple subway backsplash. I really like Encore tiles, as they have crackle and color variations, as they are hand made. There is a pale grey that would blend nicely with the granite and cabinets. If the white in the granite is more beige, then Encore Cameo would work well too. Have fun.
    edited January 2016
    · Reply · Share
  • sryrstresssryrstress 2507 replies9 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 2,516 Senior Member
    @Onward. I have DuPont Zodiaq Quartz in Meteor Grey. I don't remember if it was even available in honed or matte, but if so, I'm positive I did not order that. No matter what I use to clean/gloss/spray, it is never as shiny and light- reflective as granite.

I'm a picky, detail-oriented person, and the contractors urged me to use Quartz because they said the seam would be more noticed in granite. The fabricators did a wonderful job, and I now think granite would have been fine. Tons of posters seem to love quartz, but I don't like the lack of shine and that, to me, it looks "more fake". I prefer the look of granite to the look of all the little pieces of quartz stirred up in a resin.

After 9 years, I do have an area by the sink that seems even duller/etched (where we sit water glasses) and one edge chip where a can fell out of a cabinet. Otherwise, holding up well.
    · Reply · Share
  • lookingforwardlookingforward 32786 replies350 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 33,136 Senior Member
    Have you considered having them come back to professionally re-shine and repair the chip?
    And how much engineered looks like granite does depend on the pattern.
    · Reply · Share
  • sryrstresssryrstress 2507 replies9 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 2,516 Senior Member
    The chip is around a short curve, I touched it up with gray paint and rarely notice it. I hadn't really considered having them re-shined, but maybe I should. They weren't any shinier than this to start. Do you think it would help? Do those of you with quartz think yours is as shiny as granite?
    · Reply · Share
    Things change fast in the counter top world. If you had asked for high gloss originally (or got some default gloss,) they may be able to enhance it now. And even if all they could do was improve around the sink, it's worth asking. Many surfaces can be "touched up."
    · Reply · Share
    Thanks for the good idea--worth checking into. Part of the problem is I'm in the rural midwest and good contractors are slim pickings, but I think I'll try!

One thing I did do that I like--took an existing closet and retro-fitted so my fridge slides into it. The fridge is flush with the wall and it makes a nice look. The original closet door was on the side and is still there, so I can access about 28" of area behind the fridge, which is handy for a drawer of everyday tools, toaster oven, and cases of pop.
    · Reply · Share
  • ConsolationConsolation 22861 replies184 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 23,045 Senior Member
    edited January 2016
    What is the difference between honed granite and leathered? I'd never heard of the latter before this thread.

This is the sink I currently have, only with 3 holes:

http://www.elkay.com/top-mount/lfgr3322

it's appallingly expensive to me. I think it was about $1K when I had it installed, circa 2001.

I love the built-in hand soap dispenser.
    edited January 2016
    · Reply · Share
  • mamaduckmamaduck 645 replies27 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 672 Member
    I found this to be a clear explanation of the difference between honed, leathered, and polished granite http://www.mcmstone.com/comparing-granite-finishes/
    · Reply · Share
  • BunsenBurnerBunsenBurner 38455 replies465 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 38,920 Senior Member
    FYI - Amazon has 55% off selected Kohler faucets today only.
    · Reply · Share
  • BunsenBurnerBunsenBurner 38455 replies465 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 38,920 Senior Member
    Consolation, love your sink. Elkay brand sinks were installed in the majority of our chemistry labs - they are indestructible.
    · Reply · Share
  • zeebamomzeebamom 1356 replies3 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 1,359 Senior Member
    I use Mrs. Meyers counter spray on my quartz counters. It shines them up nicely.

Our faucet has the pull-out sprayer. Grohe, I think. There are two Grohes, with a difference between them. We also have a hot water dispenser, which is used every single day. I couldn't survive without it.

The double ovens are full size with a warming drawer under. I don't like to stoop, so the micro is at (my) eye level.
    · Reply · Share
  • Onetogo2Onetogo2 225 replies2 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 227 Junior Member
    @looking forward - my freezer drawer has 4 compartments - essentially the bottom part is divided into two and ther are two additional drawers above so it keeps things pretty well organized. I would mention that a previous bottom freezer we had was divided by wire baskets and I hated stuff falling out of them so would recommend looking for solid sided freezer bins.
    @mamaduck, thanks for the explanation re different granite finishes - I chose ours by eliminating all the others in the showroom I didn't like so good to know what it is.
    · Reply · Share
  • MotherOfDragonsMotherOfDragons 3934 replies25 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 3,959 Senior Member
    @Consolation,
    What is the difference between honed granite and leathered?

They're the same. You might pay more for "leathered" though. ;) When they polish granite they go through increasingly fine levels of grit to polish it. Where they stop may be a few numbers lower for "leathered" than "honed", but the end effect is the same-not shiny. Shiny requires a wet sand with a high # grit and a buffing, then sealing. (my grandfather owned a countertop shop).

· Reply · Share
This discussion has been closed.

Recent Activity