right arrow
Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04

Kitchen Remodel

Replies to: Kitchen Remodel

• cbreezecbreeze 4680 replies88 postsRegistered User Senior Member
    @jess86, I saw it touring a new condo development.
    http://www.theavenuecollectionnj.com/gallery.html.
    Look under 1200 Avenue Kitchen Finishes. It is used on the island countertop with a waterfall edge. It is gorgeous.
    · Reply · Share
  • lookingforwardlookingforward 33093 replies358 postsRegistered User Senior Member
    There's a Whirlpool French door on deep sale at Lowe's, right size for my space, and though not counter depth, doesn't project as much as the worst of them. One door can hold a gallon of milk and I wonder if anyone has a problem with the weight of that on those plastic door shelves/bins-?
    · Reply · Share
  • SlackerMomMDSlackerMomMD 3085 replies9 postsRegistered User Senior Member
    I have another refrigerator question. Went looking and some bottom freezers have a door, rather than a pull out drawer. Anyone have feelings about those?

When we got a new frig, I wanted one with the bottom freezer door. Previously, we had a French door refrigerator with bottom freezer drawer and things just got dumped onto one big mess. The one with a freezer door has three drawers/shelves, so there's some organization. But yeah, it's a bit annoying to stoop. Definitely YMMV.
    · Reply · Share
  • mamaduckmamaduck 645 replies27 postsRegistered User Member
    New granite counters: half bullnose or bevel edge?
    · Reply · Share
  • MotherOfDragonsMotherOfDragons 3934 replies25 postsRegistered User Senior Member
    ^^ I think that's a personal choice. My only advice is to be consistent (don't do an island with a different edge treatment), and to follow the architecture of the house-if you have a modern house, an elaborate ogee edge is going to clash. Same with traditional-I wouldn't go super sharp edgy in a traditional house...
    · Reply · Share
  • mathmommathmom 32114 replies158 postsRegistered User Senior Member
    I like an eased edge myself. Or an ogee in very fancy traditional kitchens. Bullnose looks too commercial to me.
    · Reply · Share
  • ConsolationConsolation 22862 replies184 postsRegistered User Senior Member
    Generally speaking, I'd go for a bullnose, either half or full. I think the others are too likely to chip, and I wouldn't want to pay more.
    · Reply · Share
  • 1214mom1214mom 4472 replies177 postsRegistered User Senior Member
    @lookingforward, we've used the gallon of milk in door fridge for almost 10 years with no problem.
    · Reply · Share
  • jess86jess86 2 replies0 postsRegistered User New Member
    @cbreeze Yeah It's gorgeous, do you know what color is that? Better the link of the color?
    · Reply · Share
  • PizzagirlPizzagirl 40174 replies320 postsRegistered User Senior Member
    "here's a Whirlpool French door on deep sale at Lowe's, right size for my space, and though not counter depth, doesn't project as much as the worst of them. One door can hold a gallon of milk and I wonder if anyone has a problem with the weight of that on those plastic door shelves/bins-?"

My refrigerator holds the milk there as well - and we routinely have two gallons there plus often a pitcher of another beverage or a different type of milk (such as almond milk). Not a problem. It's constructed to hold that amount.
    · Reply · Share
  • lookingforwardlookingforward 33093 replies358 postsRegistered User Senior Member
    edited January 2016
    I was wondering if, over time, the plastic bin the gallon jug sits in/on might crack. Thanks for the reassurance, @1214mom and @Pizzagirl

But my bigger hurdle is this. The current one is 23 years old, but seems to work fine. Really. It just shows a lot (a lot) of wear and tear, shelves would need to be replaced inside and on the door, etc. I know stats are stacked against it lasting another few years, there isn't much point in pushing it, I'm sure it's no longer as energy efficient, and there's a deal on the French model. But this one works.

Someone please tell me it's time to replace, time to make the jump, no looking back.
    edited January 2016
    · Reply · Share
  • mominvamominva 3012 replies35 postsRegistered User Senior Member
    edited January 2016
    Make the jump when you control the timing; think how much it will cost to replace the fridge and the food inside if it should die when you are away.
    edited January 2016
    · Reply · Share
  • thumper1thumper1 73726 replies3213 postsRegistered User Senior Member
    My opinion... Your fridge will die before the door bin breaks.

My husband hates our fridge. It's four years old. I told him it will die in another three years.
    · Reply · Share
  • CT1417CT1417 4344 replies22 postsRegistered User Senior Member
    @thumper1 -- you are absolutely correct about new appliances dying within 5-7 years. I have replaced freezer and dryer in that age range but 19 year old fridge, 20 year old washer, cooktop, etc still going strong. Of course, if redoing a kitchen, you feel compelled to replace b/c of fear that new model will not fit in existing space.
    · Reply · Share
  • mom60mom60 7772 replies502 postsRegistered User Senior Member
    My refrigerator is a 18 yr old Kitchen Aid built in with panels that match our cabinets. The style is dated and we have had different problems over the years. We have a great refrigeration repairman and he keeps telling me to fix the old one as all the newer stuff is not built to last.
    I replaced my Bosch dishwashers at about 15 yrs as the trays were falling apart. I regret it. The newer models don't clean as well.
    · Reply · Share
    I've been rolling this fridge question in my head for a few years. No one would have thought the old one would have lasted to 23.

So today I did jump. The deal was even better than I thought, but the main thing is: it's done. Thx for the thoughts.
    · Reply · Share
  • BunsenBurnerBunsenBurner 38580 replies465 postsRegistered User Senior Member
    I am staying in a vacation condo complex where all units were equipped with Bosch appliances around 2008 or so... In our unit, only the fridge and the microwave are original; the DW, the stove, and the W/D have been replaced with other brands. I absolutely hate the Samsung steam washer that is a dryer as well! Noisy, squeaky, did not do a good job drying the load. The GE Profile DW is ok. The stove is OK, too.
    · Reply · Share
  • fretfulmotherfretfulmother 1946 replies46 postsRegistered User Senior Member
    Can you say more about the combo washer/dryer? I've always been intrigued by those but never heard of anyone I know using one in real life...
    · Reply · Share
  • BunsenBurnerBunsenBurner 38580 replies465 postsRegistered User Senior Member
    I cant find the model number on it... probably is already replaced by anothet model since it looks a couple years old! I used it only once - it was way too noisy. Making electronic squeals every time it would start a new phase of the cycle. Also, rattled quite a bit. I think it is a condensation ventless dryer (typical in Europe). Here is the most important thing: separation of functions. It took almost 3 hours to finish normal wash/dry! The washer and dryer I have at home do this in 1/2 of the time, and I can do another wash while the dryer is working. With a combo machine, you have no choice. However, if you are tight on space, this is probably a good option.
    · Reply · Share
  • CT1417CT1417 4344 replies22 postsRegistered User Senior Member
    The combo wash/dryer set-up is common in Europe. As someone who will not leave the house with the washer, dryer or D/W running, the three hour cycle would be a problem. I have a W/D on 2nd floor and a larger one in basement. All very basic, but they get the job done and multiple loads can be run at once. I am highly suspicious of all these added electronic features so try to buy as few add-ons as I can get away with.
    · Reply · Share
This discussion has been closed.

Recent Activity